• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy Counterpick Stages

RapeFalcon

Smash Apprentice
Out of the following stages:
All neutrals
Rainbow Cruise
DK64
Princess Peach's Castle
Jungle Japes
Green Greens
Corneria
Brinstar
Mute City
PokeFloats

Which are best for Roy (other than FD) against fox, falco, marth, peach, Link, Mario, and Doc.

Also what stages should I ban against them?

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Yaaaaayy! I tried to start this topic once... and it died. Here's to hoping it stays open for a little longer than mine.

Here's what I think. I think Mute would be a HORRIBLE stage for Roy, because of the lag on his upb. But I wouldn't know because I'm so scared to play on it (and I main peach so why would i use Roy there??)

Against fox, FD BF FoD is good too, and maybe DK64... IDK i'd be careful about using the last one. Neutral stages are good against fox as far as I'm concerned.

Falco, FD BF arent bad. He just ***** Roy though... better pick up marth or icys just in case.

Marth: IMO DL is hands down the best level to play him on. as long as you DI well he dies first. No platform tippered fsmashes is a bonus. I've wanted to try GG's because if you dtilt him on the top platforms you can combo into a reverse blazer and kill him off the top. I'd ban YS or FoD against him.

Peach: don't know much about this one. Ban DL or mute and stick with smaller stages or ones you can run away on. FD FoD and YS are probably best here.

Link: I'm going to be banning YS against link next time i play. He's got the dthrow to upb combo which is only lethal on YS and that hurts roy a lot. FoD is your best. BF and pkstm are other good choices. FD DL and YS are link's levels.

Mario and Doc I'd ban FD and counterpick FoD (Roy's too good there!). Otherwise i'd do small levels probably.

Kumagari

Smash Cadet
I have to agree, small levels really let Roy's potential shine.

Fox: While FD is good because it allows for your chain throws I'd prefer FoD and BF over FD because I like being able to play around with the platforms vs. fox, it lets me continue combos better. I'd also go with Yoshi's Story because it is so small which makes fsmash even better.

Falco: Um... Don't pick Roy? I've tried this matchup so many times and it is **** hard for Roy to get the upper hand in this battle. Granted, if the Falco isn't very competent then this match is easy but against a decent Falco you're gonna have a hard time winning...

Marth: Not really sure but I tend to not pick smaller stages since Marth's tippers will make life hard for you. FD and DL are both good choices, Pokemon Stadium might also be a good choice but the platforms in the neutral section of the stage might be troublesome.

Peach: I don't like this match up at all... Peach is just so floaty. And with good DI it makes it hard to continue comboing her. But if you stick with smaller stages it will make it harder for her to turnip spam you and easier for you to be annoying with your superior reach.

Link: Haven't really played many good Link players so I don't have much advice here, sorry. -_-;;

Doc/Mario: Yoshi's Story and FoD. So good for Roy, so good...

RapeFalcon

Smash Apprentice
I can understand what u guys said about smaller stages being good for roy, but should I use the platforms cuz IMO Roy isn't so good on the platforms against characters like Mario/Doc, and Link.

Falco: Um... Don't pick Roy? I've tried this matchup so many times and it is **** hard for Roy to get the upper hand in this battle. Granted, if the Falco isn't very competent then this match is easy but against a decent Falco you're gonna have a hard time winning...
I main Falcon and my second is falco; I picked up Roy not too long, mainly because I have troble playing vs. Mario/Doc.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
I wouldn't play on FD against Fox. It's a really easy level for him to waveshine you on. I would stick to a level with platforms where it is easier to get out of combos (preferably FoD or Battlefield). If you decide to play Roy against a Falco, the only safe counterpick would be FD (and perhaps Rainbow Cruise). If you play on a small with platforms Falco's combos will eat you alive.

Kumagari

Smash Cadet
Falco will eat you anywhere. On FD you're going to have a hard time avoiding his lasers and on platforms his combos will destroy you... Don't play Roy vs. Falco... Anywho, I like platforms against Doc/Mario because it makes their projectiles less annoying. You can weave in and out of the platforms annoying them with your sword. If they end up on a platform that is above you then you can shffl repeated uairs to annoy the hell out of them. In my experience platforms help the fair -> fsmash combo. Also the platforms allow for longer combos that wouldn't be possible if you didn't have that extra platform to land on.

RapeFalcon

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't play on FD against Fox. It's a really easy level for him to waveshine you on. I would stick to a level with platforms where it is easier to get out of combos (preferably FoD or Battlefield).
I don't know how everyone else plays with Roy but IMO I play a gay Roy where 75% of all my moves are grabs, and i'm always moving by dash-dancing, wavedashing, etc. and A LOT of mindgames come by the way I move and a lot of easy grabs that lead to either DEDs or techchasing. Especially against fox in FD.

Edit: Against Falco I use Falcon I just wanted to know what stages are good against falco if for some reason I feel like using Roy (which most likely won't happen).

exarch

doot doot doot
Lol i almost got 3 stock off Shiz on FD roy vs falco... i counterpicked it because i felt like it... what? He was impressed/scared XD Anyways, playing roy against falco majorly helped my game against falco in general.

DK64 is a good level against falco, but you have to chase his recovery (firebird) off the level. Preferrably with a neutral b.

RapeFalcon, Mario, Doc and Link are all far more scary for Roy on FD. Being able to tech out of combos is a very very good thing.

Here's probably the best Roy vs Link set online right now. Not that I want to brag, because we both get lucky and it isn't the best stuff of my roy anyways, but i don't think there's any other examples of roy vs link.
I banned DL i forget what he banned.
Game 1 (YS)
Game 2 (FoD)
Game 3 (FD)

Any ideas on how to edgeguard link would be swell. Oh and the whole his getting out of nair combos ticked me off too.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Lol i almost got 3 stock off Shiz on FD roy vs falco... i counterpicked it because i felt like it... what? He was impressed/scared XD Anyways, playing roy against falco majorly helped my game against falco in general.

DK64 is a good level against falco, but you have to chase his recovery (firebird) off the level. Preferrably with a neutral b.

RapeFalcon, Mario, Doc and Link are all far more scary for Roy on FD. Being able to tech out of combos is a very very good thing.

Here's probably the best Roy vs Link set online right now. Not that I want to brag, because we both get lucky and it isn't the best stuff of my roy anyways, but i don't think there's any other examples of roy vs link.
I banned DL i forget what he banned.
Game 1 (YS)
Game 2 (FoD)
Game 3 (FD)

Any ideas on how to edgeguard link would be swell. Oh and the whole his getting out of nair combos ticked me off too.
Man, just shows how little a Roy can do in a match.......
Down-B would be a good edge guarding move i think...

D

Deleted member

pff my sets with Kubuu and SSJ4 Ricky are way hotter than those.

on topic: fountain of dreams for roy vs sheik.

RapeFalcon

Smash Apprentice
I really think your best bet is probably Neutral B or counter eventhough i'm not sure if u can counter Link's sweet spot up B.

If ur being edgeguarded by Link they'll pull of a nair and I don't know how to get out of that either:(

I've only played a few sets vs Link using Roy and I really don't like the match-up because if projectiles. But I had beat him on FD then he took ne to Mute City and I think I got 3 stocked, the last match was on FoD but I hate that level in general (I main Falcon)

Anyone know how to avoid being edge guarded by link?

exarch

doot doot doot
...you mean like run off the level and nair? Roy's upb beats it clean everytime.

If he's doing it invulnerably, then try to fake him into doing it early (save your second jump!) Otherwise you are toast... few characters can get around that type of edgeguard. Just be glad it wont kill you at low %s because your upb goes to the side. Marth doesn't have that option.

The real problem is link's ftilt. But you can sweet spot/ledgetech around it.

Heh, didn't actually check for roy-link vids. Didn't mean to steal your spotlight mow. I just wish i could get some roy-cf vids up, but derf wont let me record his cf...

-BLaze-

Smash Cadet
Any ideas on how to edgeguard link would be swell.
risking neutral B off the stage to edgeguard can be worth the trouble, though may require some experience, since stages matter too.

in your first vid at YS, check out 2:35 right after the neutral A you did to Link. moments like that you would probably want to send Link as far off the stage as possible. You had the opportunity to attack Link after the neutral A into a neutral B. Yea you did manage to kill him not too long after with the forward smash, but that isnt always the way to go, this small trick is worth the risk seeing as you're Roy. After have had hit him with the neutral B, he might've been able to still hook shot to get back, but with less opportunities because of the distance between Link and the stage afterwards.. take advantage. But the cool thing about it is that you might sometimes realize that the opponent used up their 2nd jump right before getting hit with a neutral B for quick reaction purposes (I assume) and you'll pretty much be ok from there. If they make it back after all of that, then you'll just have to try again. This is from past experience. Just try to put it in your game a little and see how it works out for you. its better than no edgeguard if you ask me... but its up to you.

Now your 2nd match in FoD, there was a slight edgeguard prob you faced. At 2:38, you got Link with a forward smash. Before he uses his hookshot, he jumps and throws a boomerang your way to avoid you edgehogging/guarding. There are 2 ways you can edgeguard in a situation like that.

1) Once you forward smashed, you IMMEDIATELY chase him off with a neutral B. Roy's neutral B cannot (i repeat cannot) deflect the boomerang, so you wouldve gotten hit anyhow. This is the more risky edgeguard but if your successful, hes dead.

2) Not sure if you were paying Link much attention, but it is required that you always pay attention to the opponent. If you would have decided to stay on the stage, you should have waited on his boomerang so you can swipe it away with Roy's standing A. Then immediately charge the B. Link definetly won't see it coming most of the time. He'd be too busy using hookshot to get in quickly...following up with his boomerang. If you charged the neutral B close enough, he will get hit and he will die.

I did notice that later in the FoD vid you did try something like #2, but it didn't quite work out. Try some more, i'm sure you'll figure it out eventually.

In the 3rd vid, 0:38, why'd you let him come back? at least try lol. Not even a counter? you should never give up, counter until someone messes up. But never give him a chance to come back. Really play around with these sorts of matters, they will come back to haunt you. But i'm impressed with your edgeguard at 3:45. Thats sort of what I was getting at with my responce to the YS match. you neutral B'd him which left him deciding to hookshot. but his opportunites werent there, so he missed his sweetspot, AND was hit with the forward smash. Just work at those similar edgeguards and you're good.

RapeFalcon

Smash Apprentice
...you mean like run off the level and nair? Roy's upb beats it clean everytime.
Yeah but at times I get hit to far off the stage to the point where I have to sweetspot the ledge by DIing the up B, but before i even start Link is already fliying at me with a nair. I don't think there's a way to avoid it in that situation.

RapeFalcon

Smash Apprentice
What about Mario? how should Roy play vs Mario, and where should I take him?

btw I'm really having trouble vs Mario because the only mario player I played against was Green Mario

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
In addition to everybody questions, anyone know good counterpicks for Shiek and Falcon?

I can't seem to find a good counterpick for either...

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
In addition to everybody questions, anyone know good counterpicks for Shiek and Falcon?

I can't seem to find a good counterpick for either...
Sheik - It doesn't really matter, since you'll get chaingrabbed and comboed into oblivion anyways, so it's pointless to even care about where to counterpick.

Falcon - Fountain of Dreams

RapeFalcon

Smash Apprentice
vs Sheik ( I rarely play sheik vs Roy) I like FD, it doesnt really matter though.

When i play vs Falcon they usually ban FoD so I would take them to either Yoshi's Story or Mute City

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
Quality discussion... in the Roy forums? I must be in the wrong place... I must be. :]

Banned via Administration
vs fox = fd
vs falco = fod
vs shiek = no good option. fod probably the best
vs marth = fd, dl64
vs peach = fd, ps, ys (your choice of low ceiling or no platforms)
vs falcon = fod
vs ic = ys
vs samus = bf
vs doc = ys
vs jiggs = fod
vs mario = doesnt matter (preference)
vs ganon = fd
vs link = doesnt matter (preference)
vs luigi = ys
vs dk = bf

thats as precise as you could probably get. most of the time with teh bad matchups its just go where you feel most comfortable.

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
Aiight, I'm th e Roy-Spert her, so I'mma tell ya what you need to know.

Fox
Good stages : FD, Pokemon Stadium, Yoshi's Story.
Bad Stages : Battle Field, DK 64, Dreamland.

Falco
Good Stages : Battle Field, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams.
Bad Stages : FD, Pokemon Stadium, DK 64, Dreamland.

Peach
Good Stages : Yoshi's Story, FD, Fountain of Dreams.
Bad stages : Pretty much equal on all of em.
THE STAGE YOU NEED TO BAN UNDER ALL CIRCUMSTANCES : Dreamland

Samus :
Good Stages : Same as Peach's, Except final destination.
Bad Stages : Pretty much equal.
THE STAGE YOU NEED TO BAN AGAINST THIS SPAMUS : Dreamland or Pokemon Stadium.

If you're a decent Roy, you're pretty Even with Mario/Doc.

Marth
Good Stages: FD, but thats only if you've got superb Mind games.
Bad Stages : He hits through the floor, and Marth is pretty much designed to try and slaughter Roy, so you've got a equal chance of dying on Any terrian, which is bad. Don't worry though, MARTH SUCKS.

Top Bottom