• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy counter picks

Genbu

Smash Rookie
I'm going to MM my friend (who mains Roy), and I wanted to know any good characters that are good against him and other techniques I can use.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
Know that in most every case you can always outplay someone with any character. If your friend is just good and experienced in MU's and can outplay you, it wont matter who you pick. My advice is to play your best character that you feel you can beat him with. Roy can be easily juggled due to his weight but he can easily juggle most every other character as well. He has a very predictable recovery but is somewhat hard to edgeguard if the Roy is good. If you're really determined to win on character gimmicks some MU's that i find Roy struggles with is Mewtwo, Donkey Kong, Diddy kong, lucas is somewhat difficult, pit juggles him really well, ivysaur can be rough on roy too. Some others will also add mario, sheik, and link to that list as well.

Last edited:

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
Grab -> cargo hold -> up-throw -> U-air -> U-air -> U-air -> N-air (or whatever you use to end the combo) -> rinse and repeat.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
i find Roy struggles with is Mewtwo, Donkey Kong, Diddy kong, lucas is somewhat difficult, pit juggles him really well, ivysaur can be rough on roy too. Some others will also add mario, sheik, and link to that list as well.
I would definitely have Sheik on that list, but that depends a lot on the quality of the Sheik's grab game.

But in the end, learning your matchups and being solid with your main is almost always going to be better than pursuing a secondary, especially if it's for one or two specific matchups.

Ghetto Blush

Smash Apprentice
I think Roy has a tough time with:

1. floaties
2. anyone that can actually gimp his already abysmal recovery
3. characters that really punish crouch cancels/can challenge Roy's cc

so basically Peach is pretty tough

Top Bottom