• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy and Mewtwo should removed from the game. If they are, then Nintendo can't C&D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesylard

Smash Rookie
The common understanding of Project M's legal stance is this: Nintendo is able to C&D Project M at any moment because it is an unauthorized modification to their game, and that is grounds for a lawsuit.

This is 100% false.

Let me point out another modification ecosystem that has survived for almost 8 years now with absolutely no legal trouble: the iPhone jailbreak scene. Not only has it survived for the past 8 years, but there is an entire $5 million per year business built on top of it, Cydia Store. People actually are able to make unauthorized modifications to one of the most closed and legally tight operating systems on the planet built by none other than Apple; completely 100% legitimately. And not only that, they can actually sell these modifications!

And Apple can't do anything about it.

So what makes Project M illegal, and what makes Cydia Store legal? Copyright violation. Mewtwo and Roy.

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Oh hey, we've never had this discussion before kappa

Mewtwo and Roy were already present in the game's files. Not as playable characters, but as other assets.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
A C&D is just a stack of fancy paper riddled with meaningless jargon and silly weasel words.
It would change nothing, in practice.

Last edited:

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
Or it would take too much effort to make sure the system is foolproof after weeding out the issues. That and PM's situation aren't even the same anyway (PM is a non profit kinda thing, whereas Cydiastore...isn't).

Ignoring that, Roy and Mewtwo have become fairly iconic characters for PM and have quite the following, so unless you have a good plan for containing angry fans....nope.

I can't see this happening at all.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
You didn't even research, did you

Leafeon

Verdant Pokémon
The common understanding of Project M's legal stance is this: Nintendo is able to C&D Project M at any moment because it is an unauthorized modification to their game, and that is grounds for a lawsuit.

This is 100% false.

Let me point out another modification ecosystem that has survived for almost 8 years now with absolutely no legal trouble: the iPhone jailbreak scene. Not only has it survived for the past 8 years, but there is an entire $5 million per year business built on top of it, Cydia Store. People actually are able to make unauthorized modifications to one of the most closed and legally tight operating systems on the planet built by none other than Apple; completely 100% legitimately. And not only that, they can actually sell these modifications!

I know all of this because I myself make some income off of selling unauthorized modifications to iOS. I made a tweak called EqualizerEverywhere which sells for $3 through Cydia. Although there is a lot of piracy, there are many, many people who pay for my tweak. And it is all through a legitimate business. I pay taxes and everything.

And Apple can't do ANYTHING about it.

Now, back to the predicament we have currently. Project M is exactly to Brawl as a jailbreak is to iOS. They both use an exploit to hack the game, and both of them put unauthorized modifications on top of it. So what makes Project M illegal, and what makes Cydia Store legal? Copyright violation.

Mewtwo and Roy.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
How is adding something to the game different from modifying it as a whole? Even if the characters weren't already represented somewhere in brawl (they were), the companies/studios involved with or owning the added characters already had characters in the game.

cheesylard

Smash Rookie
Or it would take too much effort to make sure the system is foolproof after weeding out the issues. That and PM's situation aren't even the same anyway (PM is a non profit kinda thing, whereas Cydiastore...isn't).

Ignoring that, Roy and Mewtwo have become fairly iconic characters for PM and have quite the following, so unless you have a good plan for containing angry fans....nope.

I can't see this happening at all.
Yeah... I wish there was a way to fork the game, make one that didn't violate copyright. Then maybe this game could survive

How is adding something to the game different from modifying it as a whole? Even if the characters weren't already represented somewhere in brawl (they were), the companies/studios involved with or owning the added characters already had characters in the game.
They technically weren't in the game. Unless if all of the moveset animations were already part of the game then I really don't think it would hold up.

A C&D is just a stack of fancy paper riddled with meaningless jargon and silly weasel words.
It would change nothing, in practice.

Tournament sponsorship tho....

Last edited:

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
Yeah... I wish there was a way to fork the game, make one that didn't violate copyright. Then maybe this game could survive

They technically weren't in the game. Unless if all of the moveset animations were already part of the game then I really don't think it would hold up.

I think the general idea is that any character that appears in some sort of media within the game, whether as a sticker, trophy, etc, has technically already represented their IP within game.

So long as PMDT doesn't try pulling in characters that haven't had a representation, (or are exclusively in smash 4, to avoid seeming like "competition" for sales), and so long as they aren't looking to make a profit off of anything.

Roy was shown in-game as a sticker, so his representation was technically included in Brawl. Mewtwo was a collectible trophy.

If you're worried about character models and moveset animations, those were pretty much created from scratch by PMDT. It's like, if I drew a blob and gave him his own moveset and put him in the game, it isn't technically illegal, since that copy of the model was my own creation, along with the moveset animation.

Then again, I'm no lawyer.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I think Gamefreak approves of each character put in each smash game, large reason why Greninja was put in over others along with Charizard and Mewtwo.

Other companies have a say in how their stuff is represented.

Don't dance around this, they can C&D if they wanted and rightfully can at any time but they don't because they don't want to.

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
Don't dance around this, they can C&D if they wanted and rightfully can at any time but they don't because they don't want to.
I think this says it best. Regardless of whether or not Roy and Mewtwo are included.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486

This is 100% false.

And Apple can't do anything about it.

So what makes Project M illegal, and what makes Cydia Store legal? Copyright violation. Mewtwo and Roy.
Jailbreaking was actually illegal for a very long time until the past 2-3 years iirc.

Pretty sure mewtwo and Roy both appear in brawl as trophies, so how exactly are they infringing? What makes Sonic not count in this instance?

cheesylard

Smash Rookie
Other companies have a say in how their stuff is represented.

I am fairly certain it is different since this is a mod. If that was true, then C&Ding SaurikIT and Cydia Store would be possible since it alters how iOS is represented.
If you're worried about character models and moveset animations, those were pretty much created from scratch by PMDT. It's like, if I drew a blob and gave him his own moveset and put him in the game, it isn't technically illegal, since that copy of the model was my own creation, along with the moveset animation.
That could hold up, but I could see It being argued that their movesets and animations were copied from Melee.
Jailbreaking was actually illegal for a very long time until the past 2-3 years iirc.

Pretty sure mewtwo and Roy both appear in brawl as trophies, so how exactly are they infringing? What makes Sonic not count in this instance?
It has been legal for 5 years. cnet DOT com/news/feds-say-mobile-phone-jailbreaking-is-ok/

And Sonic has always been in Brawl.

Last edited:

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub

For your last response - no... I don't think Nintendo will ever suggest tournament sponsorship for Project M. I'd love them to, but I don't think it'll ever happen.
--
Unrelated note, hey guys it's been a while.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Unless you're actually a lawyer, please don't make a thread about legal matters.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom