• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Router Question

Feocart

Smash Apprentice
Does a router (such as a Linksys) have to be connected to a desktop in order to function? I want to be able to use it from any point, but wonder if I need to link cables directly to the desktop.

(short: Can a router work if it's not connected to a desktop?)

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
In order to answer your question, I'd have to know a bit more about what you're wanting to do and what you have.

If the router you're talking about is just a normal router (IE: Not a wireless router) then obviously you're going to have to plug it in to your desktop.

If the router is a wireless router, then it needs only connect to your modem. Then instead of running a cable from the router to your computer, it uses a wifi signal instead.

Perhaps that helps.

Feocart

Smash Apprentice
Ah, I forgot to mention that it was a wireless router.

New question(s): Could you explain more of about a modem?

Say I move my router from a room with a computer to another room with wireless reciever (like a Wii). Is the wireless connection for the reciever going to be the same? (In short: If I move the router closer, but farther away from the computer, will the connection be the same/better/worse?)

patricksmith

Smash Rookie
In short,
A router is a device that forwards data packets along networks. A router is connected to at least two networks, commonly two LANs or WANs or a LAN and its ISP's network. Routers are located at gateways, the places where two or more networks connect, and are the critical device that keeps data flowing between networks and keeps the networks connected to the Internet. When data is sent between locations on one network or from one network to a second network the data is always seen and directed to the correct location by the router. They accomplish his by using headers and forwarding tables to determine the best path for forwarding the data packets, and they use protocols such as ICMP to communicate with each other and configure the best route between any two hosts.

Top Bottom