• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rosaluma

KingNemba

Smash Cadet
i dont know about everyone else but although i struggle a lot with sonic and falco, rosalina is probably my most troublesome adversary. Anyone have any techniques for disposing of this trash? My only technique so far is eliminating luma first...then taking rosa while she is by herself just with any raw skill i can muster. I got a pretty solid tactic but Its just a lot of work.

Mida

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
MIDA#109
3DS FC
1934-1759-0050
it's a reaaaaaaally bad matchup for ness. the worst, even. i would pick up a secondary so she's not as hard. but if you find yourself in that MU, you need extreme patience, because just being offstage will most likely end up in a stock loss.

Last edited:
D

DeleteThisAcct

It's definitely an uphill battle. Her recovery is good enough to gimp yours aggressively without consequence too. I hate being forced out of using Ness, so I try to manage, but for something similar, try Lucas. It's much easier to give her hell from a safe distance with him. Also, he's less laggy for the most part (sans dSmash and uSmash which are highly punishable) and doesn't need to rely on PKT2 to recover due to his Rope Snake.

Beating Rosa with Ness simply boils down to having to be much better player overall than the Rosa player. You'll need to outwit them every chance you get with solid reads and plenty of mindgames. Remember that you can always slow your descent a little with PSI Magnet to try and bait her before attempting to recover.

Also, I have on my YouTube channel a Ness tech I discovered that extend his double jump a little which will help you rely a little less on PKT2 in certain situations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Love Train

Smash Rookie
NNID
ShiNoKamen
3DS FC
2148-8591-7342
It's all about patience. You need to know exactly what you're doing. If you get sent off stage, you're pretty much done for if you're playing against a competent Rosa. Honestly I'd just suggest finding a good Rosa to practice against. Unless you know how a decent Rosa will play, you'll never have the necessary knowledge in order to play against or beat them. Picking up a secondary would probably be your best option but if you're content on playing the Ness Rosa MU then you need to practice a lot.
I'd be happy to play you if you want to help you learn the MU. Just add me. Earliest I can play is tomorrow evening.

KingNemba

Smash Cadet
yeah obviously some matchups are worse than others it comes to ness. I'm on the same boat as Sapphire. While, yes, I have plenty of other options I feel ness possesses the skills to defeat anyone. I'd enjoy playing with you Train but I'm pretty busy during the weekdays. You are on 3ds? Sadly that's all I have. Not a very competitive thing to use lol. I've actually never used Lucas and kind of refuse to use him. I'm a die-hard Ness user.

But for the most part. Are any of her moves able to be absorbed by PSI Magnet? Does she have any notable weakpoints? I have always noticed that when she does this weird forward swoop you can usually block and immediately grab. If nothing else, thanks for the help guys! Oh and Sapphire, can you shoot links on here to youtube or PM your page? Thanks.

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
yeah obviously some matchups are worse than others it comes to ness. I'm on the same boat as Sapphire. While, yes, I have plenty of other options I feel ness possesses the skills to defeat anyone. I'd enjoy playing with you Train but I'm pretty busy during the weekdays. You are on 3ds? Sadly that's all I have. Not a very competitive thing to use lol. I've actually never used Lucas and kind of refuse to use him. I'm a die-hard Ness user.

But for the most part. Are any of her moves able to be absorbed by PSI Magnet? Does she have any notable weakpoints? I have always noticed that when she does this weird forward swoop you can usually block and immediately grab. If nothing else, thanks for the help guys! Oh and Sapphire, can you shoot links on here to youtube or PM your page? Thanks.
If you're playing customs you can absorb the long star bits (I don't know which custom, but the one that shoots it really far out). But that's the only one.

As for the matchup itself, I've found just being really patient and not making any mistakes is the way to win. Wall her, and Luma specifically, out with PK Fires and punish accordingly. Shff nair and sh fair are great approach options if they're decently bad with their shield or if their confident Luma will stop you (sh goes right over Luma relatively safely). If you get a grab DO NOT PUMMEL. Just get the grab and throw it. Harass offstage with PK Flash and PK Thunder. She can' continuously absorb PKT offstage or she'll die so it puts a lot of pressure on her and PK Flash can be monstrous if you read her Up B correctly.

And last but not least, save your DJ. Try and recover low and if you HAVE to use PKT2 try to be as far from the stage as possible and go straight to ledge.

To be honest, I've recently picked up Sheik for this matchup (that and I have a lot of fun with her as a secondary). It's much easier and if I've got money in a tournament I'm not gonna want to lose to a bad Rosaluma when I could have taken her with Sheik.

FreezeWaffle

Smash Rookie
This matchup is pretty annoying, but it is somewhat doable.
In neutral, what I usually do is stand back and kinda force Rosa to approach. Throw lots of PK fires out. Ordinarily, PK fire isn't really something worth using a lot, since opponents can punish you for it and simply roll out of it. However, this doesn't matter against Rosalina since what the PK fires are really meant for here are to kill Luma. Once Luma's HP is all gone, the matchup gets like 10 times easier, and Ness can just combo Rosalina without fear. If Rosalina approaches with Luma, try going in and using nairs and upairs. It sounds stupid, but the priority and range of those moves will occasionally stop inevitable attack from Rosa.

In terms of recovery, Ness is kinda screwed. Try recovering from as close to the bottom of the stage as you can, if you have to PKT2.

Combo-wise, don't pummel, as Enhalo said, when you get a grab. Go for short combos, and try to do them as vertically as possible (e.g. d-throw>rising fair>upair as opposed to d-throw>fair>fair>upair) because otherwise Luma can combo-breaker you with ease.

Never go offstage. If you attack, always go for the small space in between the two. If the matchup is still too hard, just pick up Falcon or Yoshi or some character that has ranged combos

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
Rosalina is a pain in the ass for the entire cast... I would say that if you are trying to recover, do not be predicatble--Perhaps use your down+b midair to try to make it less predictable? The biggest issue against her is how easily she can gimp Ness and Lucas...

Last edited:
Top Bottom