• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - Dark Pit

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - Dark Pit

Welcome to the Rosalina vs. Dark Pit match-up analysis thread. This thread will be used to analyze Rosalina's match-up against Dark Pit. For all the rules on the round 2 match-up discussions, please refer to the directory thread.

Note: Do not discuss Pit at this thread. Dark Pit has his own thread, because even though he's almost a complete clone of Pit, he does have some moveset differences that can potentially alter the outcome of the match-up. If you want to discuss Pit, please go to his thread.

Last Updated: 2/28/2016
Special Moves Allowed| | :4darkpit:
Default only | :rosalina: | -0.5 - ±0
Default + Custom | :rosalina: | ±0
Default only
MKchouy: -1 - ±0
Ninj4pikachu: -1 - ±0
Red Pittoo ~ Rekt: ±0
Wintropy: ±0

Default + Custom
Wintropy: ±0

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Dark Pit is slightly worse for us than Pit for one reason and one reason only: Electroshock Arm. The hit angle is perfect for murdering Luma from basically anywhere. It's laggy enough we can probably punish it for free even when it works, but it's something to keep in mind regardless. Probably best to not rely on Luma being present for this particular fight.

I think this also makes us the only character where Pit/Dark Pit have a meaningfully different matchup.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Paranoid hit the nail on the head. This is Dark Pit's only significantly advantageous matchup compared to his vanilla twin. Electroshock Arm will murder your squishy friend and ensure the rest of the match will - more or less - come down to fundamentals.

Fortunately for you fine fellows, I think Rosalina still have the advantage here if she plays cleverly. Her aerials have great range and the disjoints can trade favourably with Dark Pit's, and her meager weight makes it relatively easy to escape from his combos. The issue is that Dark Pit is great at racking up damage and that weight will come back to bite you in the keister if he gets a read in on you: one good smash at high percents is usually enough to close the stock.

Dark Pit is great at conditioning. He has a response to every situation and will condition you into reacting in a certain way, then punishing you for it. This means you have to play judiciously and mix up your tactics if he gets the read. Dark Pit has the better grab game here in my opinion, as d-throw sets up for a host of different moves and, in some cases, can even set up for a kill confirm (d-throw -> b-air or f-throw at the edge - remember these!) You should be able to space him with f-air and b-air, u-air and d-air will keep him zoned out if he's in the air quite frequently or trying to catch you in the air. I think Dark Pit has a tiny bit more muscle than Rosalina, which can make him put the pressure on well, though your smashes have great frame data and decent KO power and it's a good idea to keep them fresh in case you corner Pittoo and need to close the stock.

If Luma is still there with you, hold him off and soften him up before going in for the kill. If you seal off his avenues of approach (on foot or in the air), it will shut down Dark Pit's main tools of offense and make it difficult to get near to you. This is why he will tend to target Luma first to force the match into a game of footsies. Do note that he can reflect Luma with Guardian Orbitars. This is a good why to get the kill if you're being hasty in the fight.

Off-stage, Pittoo has a noteworthy weakness compared to Pitty-Pat: his arrows travel straight rather than in the free formation of Pit's. This means he can't really snipe you off-stage compared to Pit, and instead will have to go deep for the kill. This is dangerous if your aerials are on par, as u-air can scupper Pittoo's chase-down for a d-air spike, while you should be able to trade with f-air and b-air if he tries to get you out of the blastzone with them. This applies in reverse too: d-air is great to punish a readable recovery: Dark Pit can either go deep under the stage and then recover upwards with up-b, or he can dash horizontally with side-b to catch the ledge. The former has no hitbox and can be intercepted, the latter has super armour and is invulnerable while traveling. Your recovery is much the same, of course, so we both want to mix it up and make it difficult to get the read in.

If Luma is valid for the mixups, go for a jab combo at the edge. It will make Dark Pit's recovery options very dangerous and can force him into a position where he can be d-aired easily.

I'm gonna say this matchup is distinctly easier for Dark Pit due to the fact that Luma is much easier to deal with and his fundamentals are very good for one-on-one fights. That said, it's still not the easiest matchup in the world and Rosie has more than a few tricks to keep us at bay even with our incredible footsies, so I'm gonna mark it up with that in mind.

Matchup score:

±0

EDIT: With customs on, Dark Pit has access to Guiding Bow, which makes it easier to maneuver the arrows around Luma and hit Rosalina, while your Luma Warp can make it much more difficult for us to get the hit in on Luma. It's still very possible to read where Luma will end up and KO it then, of course, and the arrows do make it much easier for Dark Pit in the grand scheme of things, so I think the matchup remains the same.

Last edited:

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
As a dark pit main I think paranoid and windtropy got the matchup spot on. I will however point out that dark pit's electro arm also gives him an easier MU against both Mac and Ike due to their linear recovery.

Dark pits game revolves a lot around punishing mistakes. If you play conservatively and give him little to punish, you'll find he is weaker at approaching with his tools alone. Most of his best moves are used for capitalizing on your mistakes. Other wise his amazing dash attack and great grab game is rather obvious as approaches.

Id say that this mu is 50:50. Rosalina is a solid character even without luma, but if your aren't used to being without Lima consider it 55:45 dark pit favor.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@ Ninj4pikachu Ninj4pikachu : Just as a note, we're no longer using the ratio system. Also, be sure to mention which category your score is for, which can either be "default only" or "default + custom".

Red Pittoo ~ Rekt

Smash Apprentice
Dark Pit can use side b to very effectively punish landings. If he reads your landing while you have Luma, you take damage and Luma dies. Luma could possibly survive the arm if you're hit while facing away from the ledge. Dark Pits arrows can do some decent damage to Luma, so watch out for them in neutral. Don't take him to stages like Delfino and CastleC because of the walk offs and certain points blastzones being very closed on the sides. WinTropy explained it so great that I won't reiterate but I'd give it ±0 to be honest

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Dark Pit is being analyzed again for this week. If you have anything to contribute for the match-up, especially in regards to the newest software update, this is the place to do it.

MKchouy

Smash Cadet
Coming from a Dark Pit player since the launch of the game, I think most people know how effective dash attack and electroshock are at getting rid of Luma so most people would put it in Dark Pit's favor which I agree with.

I think it's also very dependent on how well Rosa knows Dark Pit. If the Dark Pit electroshocks luma and not Rosa, the Rosa player needs to keep in mind that electroshock has a ton of endlag, so if the Rosa doesn't capitalize on this I can see why it would seem so bad for Rosa. Rosa can usually get a charged f smash if DP electroshocks Luma, which can sometimes send DP offstage putting DP in a negative state. To return to neutral can sometimes take up almost the whole 13 seconds it takes for Luma to respawn. DP gets a lot of damage from grabs, but if Luma is in the way he can't combo Rosa. Dash attack is also great for getting rid of Luma, but again becomes predictable since it's a good option. DP is forced to approach Rosaluma because his arrows are useless vs her and Luma forces an approach. Both characters juggle and edge guard each other hard.

I still think DP has a slight advantage, I was just listing negative things in DP's perspective that sometimes gets overlooked.

If the Rosa knows the MU, I think it's 55:45 DP's favor. This is non-customs of course.

If the MU was truly awful for Rosa (30:70) like some people believe, I don't see why Nairo never uses Dark Pit vs Dabuz

Top Bottom