• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rosalina & Luma: Leveling the Playing Field Maybe?

LaunchStar

Smash Cadet
As a Rosalina & Luma main, I enjoy the presence they have in the meta-game. I'm sure none of us really expected this pair to dominate as they have, but it sure as hell is really fun to watch Rosalina literally shape the WiiU/3DS meta-game like Meta Knight had before her.

I had never thought of Rosalina & Luma as OP, simply hard to deal with. Until yesterday, however. I had small thoughts that she might be OP before, but I mostly just pinned it to her being high-tier. But I went against a pretty good Pikachu player yesterday, and I learned that Rosalina's Gravity (DownB) move can absorb Pikachu's Thunder (DownB). It can also absorb/deflect Fox and Falco's lasers, Ness's PK Thunder, Bowser/Charizard's Flames, Pac-Man's Fruit and Fire Hydrant, Lucario's Aura Sphere, Pikachu's regular Thunder Jolt, Villager's Lloid Rocket, Mario's Fireballs and F.L.U.D.D, Pit and Dark Pit's Arrows, and pretty much every projectile an Assist Trophy can throw at her as well.

I'm fine with most of this, but I don't really like Pac-Man's Fire Hydrant or Pikachu's Thunder being susceptible to it, since that severely handicaps them and renders them almost unusable. Maybe excluding some of the projectiles from Gravity's influence would level the playing field a bit. While we're on it, I think Duck Hunt's Clay Shooting and Hogan's Can (Trick Shot) should be exempt from Gravity as well. Gravity essentially locks a lot of characters into places where it can be frustrating and downright not fun to play. And I don't play as any other characters other than Rosalina and Mr. Game & Watch in Smash 4, and even I can see how annoying and irritating Gravity can be.

Also, I think that Rosalina's Starbits (SideB) should be considered a projectile so Ness's PSI Magnet, Fox's Reflector, etc. could give some characters that normally would have a very difficult time with her a better chance.

Of course, I'm no Smash expert, these are just observations. I love playing as Rosalina & Luma, but I do feel like she's just a tad bit OP. I think the Luma respawn time extension (from 8 seconds to 12 seconds), was a very good decision.

(Please note I am in no way an expert and these are just opinions and not facts or anything like that have mercy upon my soul)

Last edited:

Rosalina _88

Smash Rookie
I'm no expert either, but I don't feel like Gravitational Pull makes her OP. For one, she's completely vulnerable to physical attacks while she's doing it, and the move has a lot of end lag. Doing it in close quarters, such as against Charizard and Bowser's fire breath, could be dangerous, especially if Luma is not present.

That being said, I had no idea Gravitational Pull could absorb Thunder, F.L.U.D.D., and Fire Breath. Those are some great findings.

For what it's worth, I am of the opinion that she is A tier, rather than S. I feel like S is the province of Sheik and Diddy Kong. But maybe my opinion will change the more I learn about her.

LaunchStar

Smash Cadet
I'm no expert either, but I don't feel like Gravitational Pull makes her OP. For one, she's completely vulnerable to physical attacks while she's doing it, and the move has a lot of end lag. Doing it in close quarters, such as against Charizard and Bowser's fire breath, could be dangerous, especially if Luma is not present.

That being said, I had no idea Gravitational Pull could absorb Thunder, F.L.U.D.D., and Fire Breath. Those are some great findings.

For what it's worth, I am of the opinion that she is A tier, rather than S. I feel like S is the province of Sheik and Diddy Kong. But maybe my opinion will change the more I learn about her.
Ahhhh I totally forgot about that terrible lag at the end of Gravitational Pull. If I had a dollar for every time a Captain Falcon got to me because of that lag... Yeah now that I think about it I've gotten punished a lot for misusing Gravitational Pull.

What do you think of the "Starbits as Projectiles" issue, then?

Rosalina _88

Smash Rookie
Ahhhh I totally forgot about that terrible lag at the end of Gravitational Pull. If I had a dollar for every time a Captain Falcon got to me because of that lag... Yeah now that I think about it I've gotten punished a lot for misusing Gravitational Pull.

What do you think of the "Starbits as Projectiles" issue, then?
I have two answers.

As a fan of Smash and of having a balanced game, I agree that Star Bits should be treated as projectiles.

As a Rosalina fan and someone who mains her, I'll take any advantage I can get. ;-)

LaunchStar

Smash Cadet
I need to print out your post and hang it in my kitchen so my future children have a good example of why Rosalina players are so dangerous.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
You have to remember that Rosalina has some very distinct disadvantages. She very tall, which means she has a large hurt box. A lot of attacks that would miss others, hits Rosalina. She is also very light weight. Add in the new rage factor and she can be killed very early.

She has to have a way to shut down her opponents. She is built for control, not brute strength, or speed.

Star bits could go either way. They typically come or fast enough that characters like Fox or Ness would have to anticipate the move to defend it. Not on reaction.

One question...why are you using GP against a captain Falcon?

Last edited:

LaunchStar

Smash Cadet
You have to remember that Rosalina has some very distinct disadvantages. She very tall, which means she has a large hurt box. A lot of attacks that would miss others, hits Rosalina. She is also very light weight. Add in the new rage factor and she can be killed very early.

She has to have a way to shut down her opponents. She is built for control, not brute strength, or speed.

Star bits could go either way. They typically come or fast enough that characters like Fox or Ness would have to anticipate the move to defend it. Not on reaction.

One question...why are you using GP against a captain Falcon?
Good point on the Starbits. I actually was only able to shut down a Fox with Starbits twice due to his speed and my lack of fore planning, on another note.

As for the Captain Falcon thing, I was in a 4 player For Glory match, mis-read a Mario Fireball, used Gravitational Pull, and a Captain Falcon swooped in like a... well, a falcon. Pretty embarassing, to say the least.

Last edited:

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Good point on the Starbits. I actually was only able to shut down a Fox with Starbits twice due to his speed and my lack of fore planning, on another note.

As for the Captain Falcon thing, I was in a 4 player For Glory match, mis-read a Mario Fireball, used Gravitational Pull, and a Captain Falcon swooped in like a... well, a falcon. Pretty embarassing, to say the least.
Lol! That makes since. And yes Falcon is very fast, so you have to be careful on moves with lots of end lag.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Fire Breath, Thunder and Breath can be absorbed/reflected by any character with such special move, prior to them being calculated as energy projectile.
Yet Rosalina forsakes a reflected projectile(unless that projectile is used close to Rosalina, depending on the projectile's size) or damage recovered for the ability to use more easily items, yet some of them, like Link's bombs need to be pulled early or they'll end up exploding in Rosalina's face during the endlag.
I don't know about star bits, partially because it would need a read to reflect/absorb the projectile anyway.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
As a Rosalina main myself, I don't care if she's overpowered or not. In fact, I don't what anyone says about her.

BasedRosie

Smash Rookie
Rosalina isn't OP.. and if she was, it wouldn't be because of GP in my opinion.

Top Bottom