• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resource icon

Guide Rosalina Kill Confirm tutorial-Grab Release to Up Smash

AAA Battery

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-1897-1891
I'm not even completely sure if any character that gets grab released is guaranteed to be hit by Luma. For instance, I think Yoshi just has to jump or Up B out to escape due to his low fall speed and amazing air speed.

alexthepony

Smash Apprentice
I'm not even completely sure if any character that gets grab released is guaranteed to be hit by Luma. For instance, I think Yoshi just has to jump or Up B out to escape due to his low fall speed and amazing air speed.
in an air release, i can act 10 frames faster than the person being air released, therefore my frame 6 usmash is faster than yoshi's jump. because i can usmash during the 10 frames while yoshi can't jump

AAA Battery

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-1897-1891
in an air release, i can act 10 frames faster than the person being air released, therefore my frame 6 usmash is faster than yoshi's jump. because i can usmash during the 10 frames while yoshi can't jump
That's true, but you'd have to be in range of Luma's Up Smash for it to hit. And trust me, I know well how this kill confirm works, too. I went and tested if Yoshi could jump out of it. My brother was able to escape every time. Then I tested it with Mario, and he couldn't escape it. Mario's a fairly average character, too. He boasts above average air speed as well as average weight and above average fall speed. He can't escape it due to falling too fast and Luma can hit him with little if any trouble at all.

Though Yoshi is a completely different story. Despite his above average weight, he falls more slowly due to his low fall speed. And given how much higher up he is than Mario after Rosalina's grab release, he really does just have to jump to escape. Forgive me if I seem mistaken, but I'd like to ask that you try it, too.

alexthepony

Smash Apprentice
That's true, but you'd have to be in range of Luma's Up Smash for it to hit. And trust me, I know well how this kill confirm works, too. I went and tested if Yoshi could jump out of it. My brother was able to escape every time. Then I tested it with Mario, and he couldn't escape it. Mario's a fairly average character, too. He boasts above average air speed as well as average weight and above average fall speed. He can't escape it due to falling too fast and Luma can hit him with little if any trouble at all.

Though Yoshi is a completely different story. Despite his above average weight, he falls more slowly due to his low fall speed. And given how much higher up he is than Mario after Rosalina's grab release, he really does just have to jump to escape. Forgive me if I seem mistaken, but I'd like to ask that you try it, too.
does yoshi air release? or does he ground, can you show me an example of him escaping, it's odd that yoshi escapes beacuse all characters air release the same way

AAA Battery

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-1897-1891
does yoshi air release? or does he ground, can you show me an example of him escaping, it's odd that yoshi escapes beacuse all characters air release the same way
Yeah, Yoshi does air release. I'll try to save a replay of me testing it...
Also don't quote me on this, but I wonder if Mario can Up B to escape. I had my brother test that, too and it puts Luma in tumble. Though by doing that, he'd be leaving himself wide open for a punish so that may not even be an ideal escape option.

Royug

Smash Cadet
Luma's U-smash is frame 10 by the way. Air-release to Luma U-smash is never true, the other person can always air dodge right before getting hit, though it is a bit hard. Air-release to Luma U-tilt or Uair are true, though.

Also yes, Yoshi is a special case. He always gets air-release, but gets released so high and far in the air (because he's floaty and has awesome air mobility I guess) that you can never hit him out of that.

alexthepony

Smash Apprentice
Luma's U-smash is frame 10 by the way. Air-release to Luma U-smash is never true, the other person can always air dodge right before getting hit, though it is a bit hard. Air-release to Luma U-tilt or Uair are true, though.

Also yes, Yoshi is a special case. He always gets air-release, but gets released so high and far in the air (because he's floaty and has awesome air mobility I guess) that you can never hit him out of that.
okay, thanks, next time I play yoshi in a tourney, I know not to go for that. Idk why i thought it was frame 6, i think i got mixed up with utilt

Royug

Smash Cadet
Wait a minute, I was wrong about Usmash never being true after air-release. It CAN be true, but only against some fast fallers like Fox, Greninja and Sheik.

Top Bottom