• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rosalina and Luma op and top tier?

LinkisPink

Smash Rookie
she has an infinte that is not even hard to do she can out beat most of the cast members especially projectile characters great recover short time for luma to spawn down b to negate projectile or items if your playing casual side b great for pressure and punishes and no one really uses it so great move to keep charcters in the corner or just pressure game luma shot do i even have to say more :/?

Rosalina _88

Smash Rookie
She's not OP at all. I wouldn't even put her in S tier, if you go by lettered tiers like that. I'd put her in A tier. She has very noticeable weaknesses (e.g. her height, the lack of hitboxes with her Up+B, the utter predictability of her Up+B, Luma's tendency to be knocked into hitstun and sent tumbling to his doom, the enormous end lag with her Down+B) that, once you learn to exploit, make her much easier to battle. It sounds like you just need a bit more practice against skilled Rosalinas, in which case you've come to the right place!

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Not really. There are some fighters who can give Rosalina a tough time, since without the Luma, her battle options do take a plummet for a while.

Leety

Smash Cadet
NNID
Leety01
3DS FC
1993-8239-5899
If a character is 'OP' then you would see Rosaluma two stocking every match, steamrolling through most of the cast, and every tournament will have a Rosaluma main be #1. Is this the actual case? No.

This is the reality, every character has his/her share of strength's, they also have weaknesses, Rosaluma included. You could make any character sound OP if you want by just highlighting a couple of their strength's and pretending that weaknesses don't exist. The obvious one is that without Luma, Rosalina is going to start struggling due to poor movement and a limit on her arsenal/tools. She's also a very floaty character making her easily subjected to juggles and lacks safe landing options. For me, I find that mobile aggressive characters like Yoshi give me struggle

But Rosaluma strength's reflect more towards a defensive game, punishing those that approach her carelessly. A player simply has to respect this play style and do their best to work around it with their strengths; even if it doesn't follow their conventional winning methods.

Is Rosaluma powerful? Yes! Is she 'overpowered, Brawl Metaknight Broken?' Definitely not.

Rosalina _88

Smash Rookie
This may be a silly question, but what made Meta Knight OP to the point of being broken in Brawl? I barely played Brawl, as I never had a Wii.

Leety

Smash Cadet
NNID
Leety01
3DS FC
1993-8239-5899
This may be a silly question, but what made Meta Knight OP to the point of being broken in Brawl? I barely played Brawl, as I never had a Wii.
Ugh, I had a friend who used Meta Knight on me. I've never been to a tournament, but from my experience just playing with my friend, I can say so myself he was legitimately broken.

I remember getting the most frustrated with his Up-B. Before Sm4sh there was this little thing called edge-guarding. Not only did MK have a way to immediately grab the edge, but he also could destroy you from this edge. With a proper technique, you could throw out not one, but two at the same time with the help of edge canceling which throws out crazy hitboxes that can actually kill at high enough percent. And it was unpunishable.

Even then, those were just the smallest of issues, the fact that he could punish nearly everything you throw out with crazy mobility, unpunishiable moves, the best recovery in the game, and the amount of kill potential he had, he was the only character that got an 'SS' tier, something that has never been accomplished within Smash before. What was his weakness? He's light... not that that really mattered.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Multiple jumps range speed nado his moves were ridiculous. He had the most range in the game and the speed on his moves were absurd. His dtilt out ranged everything and was 3 frames. He had no bad stages so you couldn't effectively cp him. Meanwhile he had the ability to take you to any stage and you're at a disadvantage. Nado was ridiculous he edgeguarded everyone will being one of the hardest characters to edgeguard.

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
She is massive (3rd tallest in the game) and extremely light (4th lightest, very nearly as light as g&w). There are a lot of insanely powerful things that she can do with lumas help but she is soooo complicated to use. She has an incredibly diverse set of options, probably more than any character has ever had in any smash game. However, she really can't afford to be punished or she can get KOed so freaking early. Not only is she difficult to not make mistakes with, the consequences are more dire than with most other characters.

I still remember the last match i had with a rosalina. She was beating me badly but i managed to roll behind her, fsmash her right at the ledge and ko her easily. She was at about 50 something percent and i was in the mid 100s.

I just don't see how such a glass character could be broken. Extremely, extremely good yes, but not op.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I swear we've had these kinds of threads before...

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I will say Rosalina is the best fighter in the game, in my opinion, but she's definitely not "cheap" or "overpowered" as most people in the Smash community claims to be.

Last edited:

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
You mean Clemente? Haven't heard of that little ****er since the 1.0.4. patch discussion.
Yeah, I mean that dude. His complaining was cute, just like LinkisPink's, and he had a Pit avatar, just like LinkisPink.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Yeah, I mean that dude. His complaining was cute, just like LinkisPink's, and he had a Pit avatar, just like LinkisPink.
I wouldn't be surprised if he's still pissing his pants off about her being "OP". heh heh

LinkisPink

Smash Rookie
well im not complaining and do u really think somone is going to use zelda competitvely in melee and brawl/pm i think not also i hate pit with a passion doesnt meani dont like dark pit though less whiny then pit also i dont know who this clemmy is im just a young kid lastly im just showing why she is good then hearing your feedback to see what all you guys think of this whole compalining of rosie being broken :/

Last edited:

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
well im not complaining and do u really think somone is going to use zelda competitvely in melee and brawl/pm i think not also i hate pit with a passion doesnt mean hate dark pit though less whiny then pit also i dont know who this clemmy is im just a young kid lastly im just showing why she is good then hearing your feedback to see what all you guys think of this whole compalining of rosie being broken :/
1) I think complaining about Rosalina is fine. It's your right... but it's been overdone already and won't make a difference in the world.
2) Please use punctuation. *This* makes all the difference in the world.

LinkisPink

Smash Rookie
1.)thanks i guess i wasnt complaining i dont care if they nerf here or not im still going to use her. :/
2.)sure thing.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
well im not complaining and do u really think somone is going to use zelda competitvely in melee and brawl/pm i think not also i hate pit with a passion doesnt meani dont like dark pit though less whiny then pit also i dont know who this clemmy is im just a young kid lastly im just showing why she is good then hearing your feedback to see what all you guys think of this whole compalining of rosie being broken :/
I already gave my feedback. You can just look at my first post here, which I like to call word to the wise.
And I agree with the man @ Warlock*G Warlock*G that complaining about Rosie being "OP" is long overdone.

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
she has an infinte that is not even hard to do she can out beat most of the cast members especially projectile characters great recover short time for luma to spawn down b to negate projectile or items if your playing casual side b great for pressure and punishes and no one really uses it so great move to keep charcters in the corner or just pressure game luma shot do i even have to say more :/?
What is this infinite you're talking about? As far as I know, there are no infinites for Rosa.

Last edited:

LinkisPink

Smash Rookie
I already gave my feedback. You can just look at my first post here, which I like to call word to the wise.
And I agree with the man @ Warlock*G Warlock*G that complaining about Rosie being "OP" is long overdone.
i agree too like the character they should be complaining about is shiek shes number1 in the game. Nvm they shouldnt complain because in the end of the day its just a video game so get over it . :/

What is this infinite you're talking about? As far as I know, there are no infinites for Rosa.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
i agree too like the character they should be complaining about is shiek shes number1 in the game. Nvm they shouldnt complain because in the end of the day its just a video game so get over it . :/
They shouldn't be complaining about none of the characters period. And of course it's just a video game, something those dumb***es will never learn, which is sad.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think she's the best in the game, undeniably top three at least. However, not enough players are innovating her meta, I feel like I am one of the few doing so, and that's something I do privately for now. Too many Rosalina players play it safe - keep Luma by their side, rely on Luma to build up damage, etc. These are very effective yet noticeably flawed playstyles, but the flaws can be offset by mastering things like control over Luma as a separate entity (seriously, this is way too under utilised even though it's like, the BEST THING about having two characters at once). Problem is, nobody wants to do that, because it's too complicated and different a concept to the Smash community. Not to mention that people just don't understand Luma's movement controls when he is separated from Rosalina.

I don't think she is overpowered right now, but it could happen in the future if people keep innovating.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
I think she's the best in the game, undeniably top three at least. However, not enough players are innovating her meta, I feel like I am one of the few doing so, and that's something I do privately for now. Too many Rosalina players play it safe - keep Luma by their side, rely on Luma to build up damage, etc. These are very effective yet noticeably flawed playstyles, but the flaws can be offset by mastering things like control over Luma as a separate entity (seriously, this is way too under utilised even though it's like, the BEST THING about having two characters at once). Problem is, nobody wants to do that, because it's too complicated and different a concept to the Smash community. Not to mention that people just don't understand Luma's movement controls when he is separated from Rosalina.

I don't think she is overpowered right now, but it could happen in the future if people keep innovating.
How about showing us some of those new innovations which you developed privately? You might want to give us a sneak peek of what you consider to be potentially OP.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I just want to chime in to make perfectly clear that Rosalina's alleged infinite never worked in any way against an opponent who knew how to utilize DI. The fast fallers it supposedly worked best against could just hold down and escape at any percent; if you begin to get fancy and use SDI and the like, this becomes not only a non-infinite but a mostly bad tactic to utilize at all.

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
I just want to chime in to make perfectly clear that Rosalina's alleged infinite never worked in any way against an opponent who knew how to utilize DI. The fast fallers it supposedly worked best against could just hold down and escape at any percent; if you begin to get fancy and use SDI and the like, this becomes not only a non-infinite but a mostly bad tactic to utilize at all.
Yeah, I don't know why OP thinks that this is an infinite. This is old and has been proven as DI-able.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Yeah, I don't know why OP thinks that this is an infinite. This is old and has been proven as DI-able.
"Directional influence"

The ability of the person being hit to adjust the angle and force they are launched with. For instance, if you DI Rosalina's down throw in, you're likely getting forward aired, but I'd you DI up and away, you can jump or airdodge out. You're better off looking it up yourself if you want the details for exactly how it works.

Last edited:
Top Bottom