• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rolling

Thrak Dim

Smash Rookie
Hey everybody.
i know kirby rolls are quite good compared to most of the other rolls, but i guess it's still too dangerous in the competitive scene.
So my question is ; is there such a thing as too much rolls ?

Last edited:

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
I have that problem too. As a mainly Smash 4 player, where rolling is the best it's ever been, it was kinda difficult at first to get used to not reflexively rolling away from every single thing. Here's a thing I did for a while to sort of "get it out of my system" - try to play a few matches without shielding/dodging. Don't even press L or R. (or whatever you have for shield) Do that for a few matches and see how you get out of sticky situations. Of course, you shouldn't do this in the long run (wavedashing!) but I'd say do it for a couple matches will sort of help break the habit.

Thrak Dim

Smash Rookie
That's not a bad idea, thanks for the advice. But still, without wavedash and rolls, how am i supposed to do it ? ;)I just basically need to shield out of nowhere (and by that i mean, not out of a roll or before a roll) and be a more aggressive player when i'm in front of the opponent. will try out your technic tho.

CaP_Omega

Smash Apprentice
How often you should roll is kind of a matter of how you think versus how the other person thinks, and I actually feel like you might have a sense of that already, because you did say that how much you roll is habitual for you. That said, the best advice I can give you is: cut as many habits from your strategy as possible. Study the movement and abilities of your character piece by piece and think of how you can make a clean hit fast. Start off easy with this strategy, because this is the key part of how the depth of this game is made.

P.S.: If you're doing it right, you'll notice faster than your opponent will.

Last edited:

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
Rolling is good but only in moderation. Roll is about as dedicated as an fsmash so if your opponent isn't committed to something he'll probably punish it. So only do it when your opponent attacks and there are no punishes available via cc dd shield or even good trades.

Geranimo

Smash Cadet
roll as much as you want, you'll eventually stop doing it when you'll realize you are getting read and punished all the time :)

Last edited:

Celestis

Smash Ace
Disable the shield buttons. Yeah you won't be able to do other things as well, but it can help break the habit. Then once broken, re-enable and teach yourself other options.

Top Bottom