• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rolling tips?

ilnadmy

Smash Rookie
I know this is probably a weird question since rolling seems to be an instinctual thing, but when I play against my friends they always seem to be able to outroll me. In other words, they always end up rolling behind me when I want to attack, or I end up rolling into their attacks. It's annoying because this is the one thing that's holding me back right now and preventing me from getting more 1v1 wins. Admittedly my friends are really good, and they've been playing Melee for years whereas I just started about 5/6 months ago, but still I was wondering if there are any tips for how/when/where to roll?

Again like I said, this is a tough question to answer since rolling is just split-second reaction and seems to be instinctual more than anything else, but if I just had some pointers about where to roll rather than just randomly choosing directions then I feel like I could really elevate my game. Whenever we get into close-quarters confrontations I always have a disadvantage because I can't land many hits as they keep rolling out of them. Any help would be appreciated.

yoonie

Smash Cadet
it's not instinctual, it's probably just that they're anticipating your moves. try mixing it up a little more- vary your timing and move choice.

Top Bottom