• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rocket Barrel Attack - Diddy's best custom?

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
So I have been experimenting with some of our customs and rocket barrel attack (up B 2) is amazing.
It combos out of banana to KO most characters at 80% and you can read an air dodge after downthrow to KO most characters at 70%
Its a great punishing tool that will score you easy kills before 70%

I've started a list of characters and the percent at which they die to RBA, if there's enough interest ill finish the list.

THE FIRST NUMBER INDICATES AT WHAT PERCENT THEY CAN BE HIT WITH A BANANA AND FOLLOWED UP WITH RBA FOR A KO (NO DI)

THE SECOND NUMBER INDICATES AT WHAT PERCENT THEY CAN BE KILLED BEFORE A DOWNTHROW INTO AIR DODGE READ (NO DI)

MARIO - 80% - 68%
LUIGI - 77% - 62%
PEACH - 73% - 58%
BOWSER - 90% - 75%
YOSHI - 81% - 66%
ROSALINA & LUMA - 68% - 54%
BOWSER JR. - 87% - 69%
GRENINJA - 74% - 62%

Here's a quick video I made to show some applications

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
Yeah, I need to do proper percentage testing, I didn't want to get too into it just yet in case this information already existed somewhere

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Was this done in training mode or vs. mode?

Methodology please

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
Was this done in training mode or vs. mode?

Methodology please
This was done in training mode, so staleing wasent an issue, I would just tick up the percentage till it killed
Obviously i have to re test it while im on 0% to get proper numbers, but this was just an example of the kill power of RBA

EDIT: more footage

Last edited:

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
If it's training mode, it might actually kill earlier in regular matches since you have to figure the 1.05x refresh bonus in non-training mode on moves ;)

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Haven't got to experiment with this move yet, just wondering if it could be a legit OOS option.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am thinking of approach options now with this... I bet a fully charged Rocket Barrel Attack could act a bit like :4ness:'s PK Thunder 2, but with more freedom of movement of course. Wouldn't be effective against characters with long ranged projectiles though, as :4sheik::4falco::4samus::4pikachu::4pit::4villager::4duckhunt: but am betting it'll be devastating.

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
Am thinking of approach options now with this... I bet a fully charged Rocket Barrel Attack could act a bit like :4ness:'s PK Thunder 2, but with more freedom of movement of course. Wouldn't be effective against characters with long ranged projectiles though, as :4sheik::4falco::4samus::4pikachu::4pit::4villager::4duckhunt: but am betting it'll be devastating.
The downside of RBA is that it can only variate about 35-45 Degrees from straight up, therefore you cant shoot yourslf across the stage :(

As for OOS, I think the start up lag might be too much, but ill do some more testing today
EDIT: from looking at the footage I already have, it has 7 frames of start up and hits of frame 8

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I don't see how this would be effective at all. You wouldn't be able to hit anyone with it fully charged because it'd be too telegraphed and punishable. The only time you will ever possibly hit someone with it is if they whiff their timing on a gimp.

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
Yay for more videos!
Played HEAPS of games today with Diddy Kong, this custom is OP.
This game was from earlier in the day, towards the end my friend was so scared of the banana I was getting more kills hitting him above me with barrels when he would jump or roll to avoid a banana.
Also got heaps of kills reading an air dodge with bad DI after a downthrow. Its definitely not something you can do to the same person twice in a set, but you will get a kill this way if the person isnt aware we can do this.

Top Bottom