• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rock Smash OOS Applications

J :D

Smash Rookie
Okay, so I haven't been through the entire Metagame thread, so don't be too unhappy with me if this is a repost pls. I haven't seen it as a topic, so either it's not actually that good, or it's not discussed as much, but I'm not sure what the best ways to apply Rock Smash out of shield are. I don't really get to play this game as much due to not having it, so I figured I'd ask about the applications of Rock Smash out of shield.

If a person doesn't know what I'm talking about, it's like the sliding Rock Smash. While in shield, jump and immediately press down b, then b reverse it if one needs to. I know the first few times I tried it out, I pressed down too early, so I spotdodged.

It seemed to work fairly well in the puff matchup, since landing behind the opponent's shield is great for puff, and using a reverse Rock Smash OOS is a perfect 30% punish, or a well damaged shield. Also, it seemed good for baiting out banana tosses -> follow ups from Diddy Kong, since shield is great to throw bananas at, but super armor beats banana toss.

Oh, NairOOS and UsmashOOS seemed better in some scenarios too, so yeah.

Tl:dr: usage advice pls?

Appdude

Smash Cadet
Only thing I've got is to shield up next the the ledge while your opponent is hanging there, and bait the ledge getup attack. As zoo as you see them move, rock smash OOS. Thats the best I've got.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Rocksmash is way too slow to be usable as a legit OoS option. However if you do use it there is almost no reason not to use the sliding version.
I wouldn't use Rock Smash OoS unless you had a really hard read, like opponent rolling behind you after poking your shield or something. I would only use it on powershield against commited approaches.

Top Bottom