• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROBs back air and other useful moves

ccthirteen

Smash Apprentice
Hi all. Been playing smash since 64 and I'm loving Smash 4 (which I've affectionately dubbed Smour... Well, it sounds better when you say it out loud. Don't worry, it's catching on). Anyway, I have to say, what I've enjoyed The most is that characters that I never would have found myself using in prior installments or no my mains. Namely KD3 and R.O.B.

With R.O.B., i've noticed several things. His potential to kill with bair is phenomenal. I have chased people off the edge hit with a bair not only launching them but propelling me back towards the stage a simple double jump or slight up B then puts me back on the stage ready for another.

Also with my experience using forward b, it seems to have super armor, reflects projectiles, does anywhere from 11 to 13% and launches what the final hit. My percentage amounts may be a bit off, but I do see this as one of R.O.B.s most useful tools. If there are any competitive R.O.B. users out there I would appreciate your input to help me improve my game.

For instance some of my more instinctual tendencies while playing this character or to roll towards the Opponent and either down smash out of the roll or grab, down throw, uair and after the uair, I'm not entirely sure what I should follow it with. Any suggestions?

T0MMY

Smash Master
R.O.B's B-air is kinda garbage to me compared to Brawl, one of the reasons I don't really play him seriously anymore. It's way too slow and doesn't give the nice landing cancels it used to. But I agree with you it packs a wallop. I don't think it was buffed in knockback compared to Brawl, or not much, considering it could be physics changes in the game that make it look more powerful, but I would B-air for a KO while all the other R.O.B.s seemed to obsess over the N-air (a KO option I would favor less than a F-Tilt, seriously).

You'll probably find you are rolling toward your opponent when you have your back against the end of a Stage, and that is exactly when an opponent is going to throw out a blind F-Smash (or similar attack). Guess what usually happens next? I'd suggest you discover a new path: Intentionally get yourself off the Stage. Off-Stage is always a higher risk, but getting the distance between an opponent usually opens many other options, you'll find you'll get a Laser on them or can get to another part of the Stage. Just keep in mind Smash is a lot to do with Stage Control.
Also, look at discovering other options than rolling & D-smashing. If you do happen to roll it is good to know what your Out-of-Shield options are (these may be character-specific), so it doesn't hurt to do some lab work in training mode practicing simple techniques like Shield-dropping into jabs or jump-cancel retreating F-Airs.

ccthirteen

Smash Apprentice
That sounds like good advice. So really I only use the back air to chase off the stage such as if I am playing against link. Whenever he is just below the stage and about to do his up b I will already be in position to back air and send him flying.

I can't say that Rob has moved into my main spot. That honor still belongs to KD3. But I am finding myself enjoying him more and more.

I've heard people talk about his forward air and how it has great potential. I usually follow with an up air out of a down throw or and up throw.

1FC0

Smash Lord
How has R.O.B.'s fair great potential? It just seems like a nerfed version of his SSBB fair to me.

T0MMY

Smash Master
It was nerfed, but if it is simply brushed aside as "nerfed" and ignored when there's more it can add to one's game then THAT is wherein lies the potential.
Make the best of all moves, even the worst of them (former Pichu main here).

ccthirteen

Smash Apprentice
The potential of his fair seems to be its optimal knock back range which sets you up for good combos, even chaining into itself when you SH fair FF. I've chased much of the roster across the stage this way. The relatively low % damage you land per hit is less of a factor to a move's potential when you can optimally put on more % by the end of your chain.

pikmin.org

Smash Apprentice
When people say nerfed, in what respect do they mean that? The range seems to be the same from brawl, as well as the damage. So its knockback is less? That doesn't seem like a bad thing necessarily because as people have said, it chains into itself more easily.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
I personally miss the lingering hitbox. Most of the new swing animation doesn't have a hitbox either, even though it looks like it should.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Bair is pretty crucial for recovery now that up+b has been nerfed significantly. Not only does it give you the horizontal distance you're lacking, but it unexpectedly changes your position as your enemy waits below. I often wait until I see my opponent charging a usmash, then bair to get out of their way.

Don't forget bair also has a weird hit box in front of R.O.B. It's sneaky, and pretty easy to surprise an opponent as they won't expect this.

Side+b went from my least favorite move in Brawl to my favorite move in R.O.B.'s kit. I usually use it in conjunction with a gyro bait. I throw out a gyro and let it spin on stage between my opponent and me, and then start a side+b as they approach. If they're trying to grab the gyro, you can snag them in multihit and get some extra damage from the gyro while they're trapped. If they've grabbed the gyro, they're probably going to throw it at you immediately, so spinning lets you reflect it back at them. Also, his wonky, top-spin-like movement can be unpredictable and therefore useful for catching your opponent off-guard.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
When people say nerfed, in what respect do they mean that? The range seems to be the same from brawl, as well as the damage. So its knockback is less? That doesn't seem like a bad thing necessarily because as people have said, it chains into itself more easily.
Forward air does less damage and SH double fair is removed.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Isn't it's hitbox also reduced? Played a good amount of ROB in Brawl and I felt like I noticed that.

pikmin.org

Smash Apprentice
Oh, the damage is less? Damn.

About the lack of SH double fair (not that that was a super good option in brawl anyway iirc), what causes this? Does R.O.B fall faster, or does F-Air just have a greater cooldown?

Victor Marczyk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Duskblack
3DS FC
1950-8264-0245
Isn't it's hitbox also reduced? Played a good amount of ROB in Brawl and I felt like I noticed that.
I mean, the hitbox's diameter wasn't too large to begin with but I believe it does feel a tad bit reduced. Also does anyone have any good combo recommendations? I'm trying to down throw then back air with the percentage being pretty high

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I mean, the hitbox's diameter wasn't too large to begin with but I believe it does feel a tad bit reduced. Also does anyone have any good combo recommendations? I'm trying to down throw then back air with the percentage being pretty high
I usually dthrow into nair or uair. I'm afraid I don't know any good combos into bair.

pikmin.org

Smash Apprentice
I thought that SH Fair was a pretty good approach .
Yeah, I was referring to doing the second fair right before landing (after doing the inital SH fair which is a really safe, solid option), which was really punishable. I mean, still a good option to have, but not super great.

Last edited:

DaftFunk420

Smash Rookie
With all this talk of physical approaches, as a rob main from brawl, (mostly play ganon tho), his projectiles serve so much. stage control. mind games; throws them SERIOUSLY off their usual game when u use his laser and gyro effectively, and u can mix it up so much. fsmash to fake a laser shot. just stand there while they shield, expecting a laser or gyro. charge gyro, shoot right away for hit/stage control. the speed and variations of his projectiles makes his zoning game HUGE.

and I'm not even getting started on his aeriels (all of them), his down dodge, AC Nair follow ups, dtilt, and his *one of my favs* KILLER up throw.

great close range. great range. good recovery. good weight. mix of fast (tilts) and slow rewarding moves (his aerials....I'm loving his dair more and more. takes timing and prediction but wow)

r.o.b. all the way

Top Bottom