• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Robins B-Reverse Thunder Airdoge Platform Cancel

SynergySSB

Smash Rookie
Hello Everyone. Some of you may know about a good defensive movement tech known as the thunder airdodge platform cancel, but recently I've discovered that there are many other uses for it besides using it defensively.
By doing a short hop b-reverse thunder and immediately doing an airdodge with good timing and spacing above the platform, it can be used to quickly cancel all ending lag and allow for sneaky followups

Here I've made a video showcasing some of my favorite uses for this movement tech at higher percents.
https://youtu.be/HxYCuUQ_COk
I'm still currently testing uses for it at lower percents, but there will be a video soon about it. Of course I will update the thread as soon as that's up.

Just wanted to quickly share this with my fellow robin mains as I believe It can be very useful in competitive play
If any of you happen to find a new use for this tech, don't be afraid to tell me about it in the comments!

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Thanks for the fresh tech. Actually I didn't know about the thunder airdodge platform cancel. After seeing your other video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrFfP6sTVCQ I gotta say it does look like quite the beneficial defensive technique for poor Robin. Would you be able to tell us anything about the thunder airdodge platform cancel, such as how it works, where it can be useful, etc?

SynergySSB

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the fresh tech. Actually I didn't know about the thunder airdodge platform cancel. After seeing your other video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrFfP6sTVCQ I gotta say it does look like quite the beneficial defensive technique for poor Robin. Would you be able to tell us anything about the thunder airdodge platform cancel, such as how it works, where it can be useful, etc?
I'd be happy to go into further detail if you aren't familiar with the airdrodge cancel or b-reversing or just want further detail about the tech.
B-Reversing is done by pressing the special button and immediately flicking the control stick in the opposite direction
:GCB: + :GCR:/:GCL:(Flick)

Side special and down special can also b reversing by using the same method

The airdodge cancel is done by having proper airspeed and timing. As your falling or moving towards to ledge of the platform, simply input an airdodge and it should cancel on the ledge if spaced correctly
More examples of edge canceling can be found here, BeefySmashDoods made a very detailed video about more edge cancels
https://youtu.be/bodpBjYDyT4

Now moving on to the tech itself
The rythym is quite simple once you get it down
Just input a b-reverse and then slightly after aridodge and with correct spacing the airdodge should cancel on the platform allowing you to double jump out of it
:GCB:+:GCL:/:GCR: (Flick) + Very Slight Delay :GCRT:

Thunder airdodge platform canceling can be used for many things such as safely retreating to the top platform or using it for sneaky kill confirms as shown in the video, or even for spacing or mindgames or even pressure, there's many things you can use it for, I still haven't tested everything myself!

Thunder airdodge platform canceling can be used for many things as shown in the video. It can even be used for mind games or applying pressure or even just pressure. There are many ways of utilizing it, I haven't even tested them all myself!

I strongly think this can be used In competitive as an offensive or defensive movement option for Robin on any stage with platforms, some faster characters or even characters that have the ability to camp you out such as sonic or Bayonetta can be caught off guard by properly utilizing this tech, I haven't tested it in a competitive environment myself, but I intend to in the near future, after that I'll make my decision/verdict on if it is viable in competitive play

Hope this helped

Last edited:
Top Bottom