• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

RMT - Sun Team Gen V OU

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
So I was driving to in-n-out yesterday and it was like 90 degrees outside(also it was 9pm, so there's that) and I was like **** it's TOO DAMN HOT OUT! But since I had pokemon on the brain I also decided I should make a Sun team. But Sun teams dont work. They always rely too heavily on things like Volcarona or Venusaur or other pokemon that basically fail for simple reasons(Venusaur is useless if sun isnt up, Volcarona has a huge peanut and stealth rocks allergy) and then there's the whole "Stealth Rocks wrecks team = Has to run a spinner = Donphan is basically the only choice" thing. But then I thought, what about a team that doesnt use sun offensively? A team that benefits from sun but isn't 100% reliant on it? Well here it is.

Ninetales @ Life Orb
Trait: Drought
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Extrasensory
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Well I mean, obviously. LO because without it Ninetales is pretty useless. HP Ice over HP ground because I have other options against Heatran and honestly I've got a base 100 speed pokemon, HP Ice is perfect for base 100 beating out DNite and Gliscor, two pokemon my team doesnt really like. Extrasensory was just a filler move, if someone has a better suggestion I'll take it. That said I dont want to use Hypnomiss. I dont like relying on shaky accuracy on a pokemon so important to my team.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Lava Plume
- SolarBeam

Offensive Stealth Rocks. Heatran is integral to my team as the "Anti Sun Team" pokemon. Volcarona cannot touch this pokemon and only Physical Venusaur can really hope to get past it. But if it's a physical Venu I have other options. Lava Plume over Fire Blast because the Sun Boost mitigates the power drop and the chance for burn is just too good.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Whooooooooooooooooo gyarados on a Sun Team. Gyara operates astoundingly well on this team, giving me a much needed ground immunity and a water resist as well as having intimidate. He's my other answer to Venu if it's physical as +1 Power Whip/Seed Bomb wont OHKO me and Bounce will certainly OHKO back. I considered just putting waterfall on here anyways despite the sun but QuakeEdge just seemed superior. Bounce Gyara has always been my favorite set and it still works wonders under the sun.

Roserade @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Toxic Spikes
- Weather Ball

I mean, you have to have a grass type on a sun team right? Roserade combos well with Gyarados against rain teams, giving me a secondary water resist as well as the obvious grass STAB. I went with an Offensive Toxic Spikes, which might seem odd but I have to do SOMETHING with that free turn Sleep Powder gives me right? Giga Drain/Weather Ball to form a sort of Psuedo Double STAB since Weather ball jumps to 100 Power under the sun and becomes a fire type move jumping to 150. Also acts as my TSpikes absorber, despite only having two pokemon susceptible to it, they are two pokemon i REALLY dont wan't toxic'd

Golurk @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch

Apparently this thing is NU? Never would have guessed honestly. Ghost/Ground is a baller typing and it has great stats to go with it. EQ/Shadow Punch as the obvious double stab and Ice Punch/Drain Punch to round out awesome coverage and take advantage of Iron Fist. This pokemon actually immediately sprung to mind when I was building this team as a Terrakion counter. I really dislike Terrakion and I wanted to be sure I had at least a counter and a check to it. It's actually been working out quite well for me, would recommend.

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball

Energy Ball over Surf because Sun. It's Scarf Lati. I mean like, what is there to say?

I mentioned rain quite a bit but didnt really say anything about Sand. I chose a few things specifically for TTar, like Energy Ball on Latios and Roserade in general. If it's a choice TTar I have a perfect counter for any move it locks itself into and if it's Band Tar it loses in speed to literally everything on my team other than Golurk. It hasnt really been too much of a problem. Are there big things I should be worried about that I've forgotten?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
FWG Core + DragSteel Core + Thing that beats Terrakion + Thing that gets weather

Seems like a dumb twist on the standard

Cloyster, MixMence, Kyurem-B, and Hydreigon immediately pop to mind as potential issues, mostly because this team is so goddamn slow bar Latios. Like, you really have a speed issue here. There's also an issue on how Latios really is the only thing on your team that's handling strong Special attacks. Spectoed gets a free as **** HPump against this team 24/7 basically, everything hates Alakazam, Lum NP Thundy wins after Latios is gone, and TR Reuniclus finds 1 free turn and can kill your whole team with SR support.

The lack of speed/priority and special bulk is kinda bad here.

ItBeVoltage

Smash Rookie
Imo Ninetales is better as a defensive poke, one that sorta lives hits and spreads burns to weaken other things a little bit. Also it can allow it to live some more hits or provide much needed sleep fodder for enemy Brelooms/ Venusaur. If you need a set for this shoot me a pm.

Other things include Venusaur > Roserade, tbh ive tested it and its not better than venusaur. And Putting hidden power fire > Energy ball on latios. If tyranitar is giving your team trouble, Colbur berry on Golurk is the perfect counter!

Top Bottom