• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Rival Smash is....just....awful

GreenReaperGod

Smash Lord
I've been trying to complete some challenges that revolve around KOing your opponent a certain amount of times (4 times with any character, 3 times with Diddy Kong, etc), and I've had no luck. I can't seem to keep track of my character or my rival due to the constant explosions that cover half the screen. The Mii Fighters just mess things up even more, since I can't distinguish if it was my rival/my character or simply a Mii Fighter that was launched off the stage.

Anyone else having these problems? Any tips on how to complete these challenges?

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
I found the Rival Smash challenges to be on the harder side of things, but they're pretty easy once you get a basic idea of what to do.
3 Rival KOs with :4diddy: - Using F-Smash, especially near the ledge proved to be a great strategy for getting easy rival kills. Do not play aggressive though, you'll get yourself killed.

4 Rival KOs - I used :4littlemac: and his smashes, because his super armor will usually grant protection from Miis, and because his recovery is so bad, it's very easy to rack up kills.

Those are the methods I used, they both took me a couple of tries, but I eventually got the hang of it. Good luck.

Here's the ultimate guide to Rival Smash...

EDIT: Ignore it, I'm an idiot who can't read. Just use a heavyweight with good KO power. :laugh:

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Getting 85 KOs more than your rival is doable with Yoshi, but trying to KO your rival 4 times in a single Rival Smash is another story. Your rival's CPU level is quite high, so you'd be lucky to make even 2 KOs against him/her before you get KO'd.

And unlike the Fighting Miis, who can't use items nor shield themselves, the rival can and will defend itself against your attacks, and even use any items that appear against you.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
These are indeed very frustrating. I managed to get the Diddy challenge on my first try, but I don't even know how in retrospect. I do remember that I wasn't particularly aggressive. I just hit Diddy when I had openings and eventually got 3 KOs. I think I did get a down-air spike in there to get one kill easy.

For the other, I used Kirby. By floating around and sniping him with Stone, I was able to rack up damage without too much trouble. I ended up getting 5 KOs that way.

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
I beat the 50 score challenge on the 3ds by spamming Kirby's Down B... It took me about 10 tries.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
For the 85 KOs, I used Game & Watch. Just use up-b and down air. Both moves can easily kill the Miis and if you do it on the highest platworm, the Rival usually won't target you.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The key to these challenges is to actually not focus on your rival too much until they are at high damage. They won't aim for you if you leave them alone, but they will take hits from the Mii Team. You can just camp the Mii Team away from you with long range attacks (for example, in the Diddy challenge, the Pop Gun works a treat). Then they will all go for your Rival. Then sweep in for the KO. You can easily get the KOs without racking up too much damage yourself this way.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Yeah, I had no trouble whatsoever with any Rival Smash challenges except the 4 KO one. Even with Diddy, I ended up getting 3 KOs without really trying precisely because I wasn't trying. Meaning, I just focused on the Miis and more or less ignored the other Diddy for long stretches of time. The Miis are basically pushovers so you can rack up easy KOs while the Rival takes little bits of damage here and there.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I posted my success with Wario on GameFAQs:

Yesterday I cleared the "KO Rival 4 times" and "Score 85 KOs" at the same time using Wario. Whatever reason, it's not that hard to kill Wario, although it did help that he SD'd on the run.

- Yes I used the bike. No I didn't use it all the time.
- A mix of Side Tilts, Side Smash, and pummeling does really well against everyone.
- When you see a good few of them on the floor, one or two sweeps with the bike will do. Dismount and let the bike roll off stage
- Don't fret if CPU Wario bikes. Either avoid or an FAir to kick him off.
- The occasional UAirs when Wario or Miis are above you is helpful.
- After you've taken roughly 60% damage, NAir will become a surefire kill against Miis. Use often.
- Occasional Down Smashes to clear away enemies. Don't abuse it though
- DAir is generally useless. Only toss it out if you're comfortable with it
- Again, Side Smash. It's probably the best way to finish off CPU Wario once he's taken enough damage. It's really strong. There's also...
- ...The Waft as an option. Don't pursue the CPU just to use it though. An opening will present itself in time.
- CPU Wario WILL Waft as well however. Just stay wary of it until he lets loose.
- POW Block: Use it. Free KOs and damage on the CPU.
- Ray Gun : Use it. Same reason as POW Block
- Smart Bomb: In other Multi-Man's, I tend to avoid this. Here, you should use it. Just make sure it doesn't blow up too close to you
- Turret: I typically ignore this one. It's little more than a stalling tool, but use it if you feel compelled.

So basically your focus will be on taking out Miis while getting in potshots on Wario here and there. There's not much need to focus exclusively on him. You're also risking accumulating damage faster by directly challenging the CPU. What really works for this is that Wario is heavy, but he hits hard enough that it won't be a problem against the CPU. And unlike a character like CPU Ganondorf, the CPU Wario isn't a serious threat to you or your score. I was all the way around 240% before I finally went down to an attack from the CPU.

Play it calm, rack up the KOs, get your hits in on the CPU and land the necessary finishing blows. It also wouldn't hurt to gimp him if you can find an opportunity. CPU Wario will use the bike to recover though. There is the possibility of kicking the CPU off its bike then letting it sit there and gimping it that way. I didn't do that myself though.

Zimer

Smash Apprentice
I got over than 1300 KO's with Robin elimination my rival many times at the same time.
Video is in my channel.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
With Diddy Kong, I was able to KO my rival at least 5 times; cleared his challenge, AND the KO your rival 4+ times challenge. The key here is patience, as you can't just attack your rival recklessly; it's set at a very hard skill level. Take advantage of any POW Blocks or Smart Bombs that pop up, whenever possible.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
I posted my success with Wario on GameFAQs [...]
I second this, though my strategy was just slightly different, and I accomplished two challenges for the price of one: Five rival KOs and hundreds of KOs more than my rival in the same run.

I spammed the bike on the main platform about 90% of the time, sometimes using the wheelie. It is a very quick way to build up general KOs, plus the rival does very little to stop this, and you can get some damage on him in the process as well. I occasionally jumped off the bike to grab certain items, notably the POW block and the smart bomb. The best part about the bike strategy is that you can resume spamming the bike while still holding key items until you see an open opportunity to KO your rival. The smart bomb, POW block, Wario Waft, and even spamming his own bike against him are all very effective for the win.

The only downside is that this method takes several minutes, but if you are patient, and keep a keen eye out for items, it is very winnable.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
What you do to easily beat the KO your rival X times challenges is to jump onto the ledge, jump down and then back up, and when a mii comes up to the ledge ledge attack it to kill it. Do this until an item flies in from the top. When this happens, grab it and use it to your advantage (pow blocks can KO). You should take minimal damage and it will be very easy. May take a little while but definitely worth the time.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
:4gaw:.
Get to the top platform.
Up B.
Down Air.
Land on the top platform.
Do it again.
And again.
And again.
And again... again.
Simple as that, matey.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What you do to easily beat the KO your rival X times challenges is to jump onto the ledge, jump down and then back up, and when a mii comes up to the ledge ledge attack it to kill it. Do this until an item flies in from the top. When this happens, grab it and use it to your advantage (pow blocks can KO). You should take minimal damage and it will be very easy. May take a little while but definitely worth the time.
I never used the ledges with Diddy though. I just simply scampered around, while keeping my distance from my rival. I still waited for the Smart Bombs and POW Blocks to appear, however.

This is a Sentence

Smash Cadet
If anyone is having trouble with the challenge with 85 KO'S more than your rival I just used DK's up B on the ground since the computer doesn't know what to do and it has armor (although it does take a long time), and for KO'ing your rival 4 times someone on gamefaqs said to use Bowser's up smash, which worked perfectly since it the full animation does damage and, again, the computer doesn't really know what to do.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
The challenge makes you use one of the best overall characters in the game.
HOO HAH that CPU's ass all day long and knock the Miis away (watch out for gunner disjointed uair and Fsmash) when necessary
You will nail it eventually, especially if you focus on KOing the bot while swatting the Miis away.

Top Bottom