• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

risk/reward of using diagonal metal blade, is it safe? is it risky

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
looking at my matches on replay, i've noticed i hardly ever diagonal metal blade. i might throw out one or two at a match, but that's about it.

i've had alot of success with just using forward metal blade, but i get bored and tend to switch up my style.

soI was looking at tournament megamans on youtube and i've noticed they diagnal metal blade alot, especially to set up traps, and i tried testing this out on FG. i got bodied a few times lol. and i'm confused why i can't diagnal metal blade efficently like tournament megamans. maybe i am diagonal metal blading when my opponent has enough frames to dash att my land? that's one of the problems, i'm sure.

but wat else am i doing wrong here. and how to capitalize on using diagonal metal blade proficiently?

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I posted this somewhere else, I might as well post it here.

When it comes to gimping. Metal Blade works well for characters that have multiple jumps, and for halting double jumps.
Two examples:
One: You're fighting Pit. He got launched and he is getting back up with his three jumps. You halt him two times with Metal Blades and he ran out of jumps, so he up b toward the ledge. You read that up b, and then you dair. Which resulted a meteor and a win.
Two: Ness's double jump can reach far. Ness got launched so he double jumps, but you halted it with a Metal Blade. Now he uses PK Thunder. You can Leafstool, or dair Ness during this moment.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
I posted this somewhere else, I might as well post it here.

When it comes to gimping. Metal Blade works well for characters that have multiple jumps, and for halting double jumps.
Two examples:
One: You're fighting Pit. He got launched and he is getting back up with his three jumps. You halt him two times with Metal Blades and he ran out of jumps, so he up b toward the ledge. You read that up b, and then you dair. Which resulted a meteor and a win.
Two: Ness's double jump can reach far. Ness got launched so he double jumps, but you halted it with a Metal Blade. Now he uses PK Thunder. You can Leafstool, or dair Ness during this moment.
awsome. i'll try to apply this :D too bad theres not many good pits in fg

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I use them a lot. You can true combo on hit confirm. If you read the shield it's a free grab.

Lebrawlski

Smash Rookie
I would recommend to go into the lab and test out diagonal metal blades before taking it online. I would go into the lab and just practice throwing diagonal metal blades for about 15-30 minutes at a time for a couple of days before I got it down.

One thing I really like to do to start a match is to throw out a crash bomb, full hop diagonal metal blade, then rush forward and dash attack to pick up the metal blade. Regardless of if the diagonal metal blade hits, it can still lead into a lot of set ups.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
You do have to be careful doing the full hop -> diagonal blade against some fast characters. I've noticed that Sheik, for example, can drop shield and do her dash attack from neutral stance on reaction (dash->down c-stick, for those interested in how to do this) and it will simultaneously avoid the blade and punish your landing.

Other characters can punish your landing if your aim is off. So you have to be aware of where your opponent is and make a judgement call as to whether you should move away, drip straight down, or move toward them after the blade leaves your hand. Against most characters it's a pretty safe hit confirm you can throw out, though.

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581
looking at my matches on replay, i've noticed i hardly ever diagonal metal blade. i might throw out one or two at a match, but that's about it.

i've had alot of success with just using forward metal blade, but i get bored and tend to switch up my style.

soI was looking at tournament megamans on youtube and i've noticed they diagnal metal blade alot, especially to set up traps, and i tried testing this out on FG. i got bodied a few times lol. and i'm confused why i can't diagnal metal blade efficently like tournament megamans. maybe i am diagonal metal blading when my opponent has enough frames to dash att my land? that's one of the problems, i'm sure.

but wat else am i doing wrong here. and how to capitalize on using diagonal metal blade proficiently?
Diagonal MB is something every Mega Man main should be able to do. There is nothing wrong with the regular horizontal MB but there are certainly situations in which diagonal MB can be a match changer.

It's a good way to get around reflect spamming Falcos and Palutenas. If you time it right you can throw it right over their reflect and it leaves them open for an attack.

Gimping off stage. If you knock someone off stage, a well placed MB can either gimp them or put them in a bad spot so you can hit them with a Dair, Bair, or other off stage punish.

Once you get really accurate with it, it can set up combos and KOs. Check out my video and you'll see what I mean. http://youtu.be/lbWyP0lfpE4

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I've gotten better at diagonally throwing Metal Blades just by experimenting. Backwards MB has done me wonders as well.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I really like the diagonal down MB to Utilt Monty. I'm gonna have to add that into my game.

I didn't realize how a dropped MB can knock opponents into the stage like that either. That's a nice vid

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581
I really like the diagonal down MB to Utilt Monty. I'm gonna have to add that into my game.

I didn't realize how a dropped MB can knock opponents into the stage like that either. That's a nice vid
Thank you! The MB to Utilt combo is tough to pull off against good players but you can do it in FG all day and no one is ever expecting it lol. Either way its a good move to have in your arsenal because even against really solid players you can catch them with it and get KOs at really low percentages.

Top Bottom