• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Riot Games gives their blessing... Hope for PM?

SmashCentralOfficial

Voice of SmashCentralOfficial
Instaburst has been developing a free-to-play fighting game based off of League of Legends characters. Instead of ordering a cease and desist, Riot Games gives their blessing as long as the game remains free-to-play and the developers receive no revenue aside from ad revenue.

While Nintendo hasn't said anything about Project: M, yet, the key word is "yet". Nintendo also isn't known to follow in the footsteps of other industry leaders, so I'm worried of what might happen when they begin to take notice in Project: M.

Do you think Nintendo would order a cease-and-desist, or give their blessing like Riot?

http://shoryuken.com/2013/07/16/instabursts-league-of-fighters-approved-by-riot-games/

AbstractLogic

Smash Journeyman
It shouldn't be a huge deal as long as the person is legally acquiring a copy of Brawl. They aren't losing anything from someone tweaking the existing game.

lukifer

Smash Apprentice
It shouldn't be a huge deal as long as the person is legally acquiring a copy of Brawl. They aren't losing anything from someone tweaking the existing game.
That's not entirely true, since PM gives competitive players a viable alternative to Smash 4. Granted the competitive community isn't nearly as large as the so called casual audience, but I'm sure that there are tons of players out there that don't plan to get Smash 4 if it has the same lackluster gameplay that Brawl does, myself included.

Given the way that Nintendo handled Evo it seems more likely that they'd order a cease and desist then give the PMBR their blessing. Nintendo appears to be a decade behind other big game developers as far as community relations are concerned. Regardless, if they PMBR aren't making any direct money from PM then hopefully there's nothing Nintendo can do about it. Hell, I'd give them 60 bucks just for a demo version of PM if they asked for it, but if we start doing that it might put the game at risk.

E_Tap

Smash Rookie
None of that stopped Hasbro from issuing cease & desist against Fighting is Magic, or Sega from quashing Streets of Rage Remake. I'm hoping NIntendo just never hears what Project M is until it's finished 100% because as soon as their hair trigger law firm finds out about it and has a bad day they'll slap a C&D on it so fast that even blast processing can't keep up with it.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
I'm pretty ****ing positive that at least 75% of the whole company is NOT oblivious to this game.

This mod is in no way illegal either way so Nintendo can't do **** about it.

AbstractLogic

Smash Journeyman
It's hard to draw the line and realistically enforce it. Could they do the same with a no-tripping code or custom textures/SFX? At the end of the day, there is no way that they could actually stop people from buying melee or getting a copy of brawl and modding it. If anything it would be nice for Nintendo to see it and recognize that there is a demand (albeit a tiny one demographic wise last I check Project M 2.5 had around 40,000 downloads) and use that as incentive to create something to fulfill that niche. If Smash 4 doesn't stand on it's own merit then that is Nintendo's fault and not the consumer's.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I feel like hacks like Brawl - will be found first honestly. Because if someone at nintendo sees a site called Project M how do they know its a Brawl Mod unless they go to the website witch I don`t doubt they will do.

Top Bottom