• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reviving Mario - Checklist

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Hey, all. Now as you might know, the Mario boards don't have as much traffic as say, the Top Tiers, and many people don't like that. So I'm simply devising a sort of checklist of what I think our sub-community should do to completely revive Mario.

Community Combo Video: 0%

Mario How to Play Video: 0%

Mario Written FAQ: 20% (All this discussion is making this possible :D)

Mario Matchups: 0% (Reverted to 0% since a new matchup list is now being discussed [?])

Mario Mains Index: 0% HYPE TO THE MARIOOOOOOO!

Mario Techskill Video: 0% (Okay, so Mario isn't the most technical of characters, but I think there is a flashy side of him that's waiting to come out)

That's it for now. We gotta come on and step it up!

Examples (from Blawl) that the low tiers got something down already D:

Community Combo Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM0pRYEvlQo (SSBB LINK)
How To Play Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCN7fRoiX84 (SSBB MARIO)
Written FAQ: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=227634 (2009)
Matchups: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=227291
Index: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162482
Techskill Video: Improbable in Blawl.

(Relatively) New Techs: Cape ****, Cape Dash
New Strategies: (Currently discussing DOUBLES)

Let's do this guys! Mario all the way!

EDITED 9/15/10

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
OH MY GOD
MY YOSHI'S STORY IDEA GOT ON HERE
HYPE MUDDA****AS
and btw, my friend does video editing as a profession. she's a graphic designer.
so if you guys can compile some clips for the community combo vid, send em to:
hourglass60@gmail.com
which is my email
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BUT
Our first priority is the guides and how to play videos. once we get the information we already have down in one easy to read, accessible guide, THAT is when we can start getting new stuff up in here.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Considering our community consists of me, mariomariox2, J3ly, n0ne and maybe bamesy, it's going to be difficult, but we can do this

j3ly

Smash Champion
ive been getting to recorded stages of tournaments recently. i have a few crews, LF (maybe) and LSF vids that need to be uploaded. just got back from SNY, which is europes 2nd largest tourney so far. came 3rd in crews, and i believe joint 17th in brackets. could have easily placed higher had i banned DL against shiek. oh well you live you learn, even if i had won yomi was next who is an experienced shiek and would have probably owned me.

regardless i should be churning out london monthly videos every month now. with a top seeding (i think) i doubt ill fail to make it to the recorded stages, seeing as i dont have to play the other tough players until near the end of the tournament - when its recorded.

mario has some craaaaaaaaazzy shield pressure. bair ff auto cancel to get them into shield, spaced bair against the shield - waveland behind them, do a uair during the movement. this autocancles. at this point FH dair -> nair or spaced nair/uair. u can also poke through the shield with a well placed utilt after FH dair because it auto cancels.

we dont have a fancy ol shine, so good old floaties need to concentrate on confusing the crap outta the opponent for shield pressure. bair waveland is perfect for this, as it also gets a ton of momentum into backwards uair which you normally wouldent get. bair spaces against shields nicely and ive learned it 100% consistent

time to learn spaced uair -> utilt (the utilt being safe against shield).. people at the tournament said they had never seen a mario use aerial -> utilt... they seemed to think it was very clever. its not that clever. so if anyone reading this doesnt do bair/uair - utilt.... start doing it! o_O both moves autocancel.
FH FF dair also autocancels. autocancel = 4 frames of lag, so you can always get a utilt off this.

ps, i caned the crap outta every doc player there. aside from the 2 epic peach players, armada being one of them, i was the king of the mushroom kingdom :D

:)

pps, full wavedash -> spaced jab -> pivot bair waveland is ****. if the jab bair doesnt get them into shield, run the shield pressure moves i listed above anyway. if they do go into shield... run the shield pressure moves.

another option after jab bair is to waveland away. pivot, and come back and try to space them/their shield with fair. dont FF it so the hitbox comes out as last as possible. after that, pivot bair waveland -> uair -> FH dair / something else -> AC utilt / something else.

euro metagame is seeing EVERYBODY camping the hell outta the other, plenty of zoning tilts, but mostly combos oos. learning to space outside shine ooS is tough, but apparently 100% necessary if you want to go anywhere with mario.... so learn to space bair and fair and pivot and learn to bair waveland, and how to autocancel

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
ps, i caned the crap outta every doc player there. aside from the 2 epic peach players, armada being one of them, i was the king of the mushroom kingdom :D

:)
that would make armada the queen
O.o
oh and J3ly I faced an extremely campy peach at Apex. I ended up just catching and throwing turnips and camping with fireballs despite me being an aggressive player (apparently)
got any tips on that matchup since we're on the subject? (btw if you crouch and press A like you're going to do a dtilt, it makes catching turnips worlds easier)

j3ly

Smash Champion
well proper peach turnips should be floating juuust above your head. peach will float and camp with fair too - so u cant jump, or advance cause all ur options are covered.

solution is to WD back and catch em, or jump and catch em as u said. but thats not always possible

campy peach. how campy? turnips arent a problem due to catching and cape.
the best approach vs peach is FH dair. you must begin the fastfall before the dair (seing as u cant FF during a multi hit attach which is hitting sum1), and it should autocancel. from this point, you can utilt -> uair + soft reverse bair -> fsmash her.

you dont have to approach peach, but being a stock up just to be sure is advisable if possible. u can fireball camp the crap outta her on FD (which is where u should CP every time)

in general the most important thing against campy people is to bait and punish them. for this you need alot of control over mario though. bair waveland is good for baiting.

baiting can be anything from jabbing the opposite direction (lol) to an empty SH under her float (to bait her to attack, at which point you WD back and punish with an fsmash

also dont forget that usmash is the highest priority in the game, and so long as the hitbox is out it will beat out her FC fair camp/approach.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Something I did as fox and normally as falco. today vs a peach I tryed getting up in her face(not the best peach I might add) but I got up in her face and started spacing f-tilt in her face as fox and I notice I was outside of her range for any fast and good moves. so maybe she could've Dd into adash attack but still f-tilt spacing randomly near the end of a match if very neat mario may be able to do it and techically speacking dr. mario would be better for it his f-tilt has less lag than marios. but if you could f-tilt outside of their general range you could come in with your normal sheild pressure jelly talks about.

An idea I do that works wellas as falcoand somewhat as good fox. very random like at some point in like ever what 1/3 match thien I quickly speed up and they won't know what hit them they spend all that time trying to deal with f-tilt now they must switch fast to nair.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Also needed in the Mario boards: New MOD to sticky stuff.

j3ly

Smash Champion
i vote me on the basis that i have made so many threads i need the delete button more than any other single person. lol. ive made many requests for threads to be deleted or renames but nothing.

ftilting a shield is never a good idea i have noticed. literally never - dont do it there is no point, move is do god **** laggy. only good thing it is used for is the DAFT setting up a ledge rising nair on a recovering spacie and doing a nicholas kage kill (filt -> blastlines)

the peach could, and should have FC naired the craaaap outta ur face the second u missed the first ftilt. at which point ur gnna be dash attacked, then dsmashed, then u miss the tech, then maybe one more dsmash, and if ur not setup for an edgeguard by then, ur getting ***** on platforms or jab reset into chaingrab.

DONT DO IT.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
f-tilts. I don't think you understand what i'm saying. switch ups mess with people camp as fox for 2 minutes never take a risk then go mad rage offence on them no matter what attack you do it will land if your not to easy to predict. I get away with some ******** stuff because I know that's the LAST thing they will think of.

j3ly

Smash Champion
lol fuzzyness says that, it works sometimes. doing ******** shiz cos its unexpected. but i assure u if u ever ftilted my marios shield (lets put into range perspective and say you jabbed it, but this jab has the same frames as ftilt) u'd get an uair oos to ur face so fast pichu himself would be like "woah.. that was quick"

if a fox is shine nairing my shield at 2000mph and then suddenly ftilts... surely the ftilt is the time to capitalise. if its spaced WD out because its got lag, if not then uair oos and combo you for 60%

then go mad rage offence on them no matter what attack you do it will land
lol clearly none of ur friends play a solid ganon then ^^

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Well I don't play to be smart I play to learn and mind f*** them and I fought a decent gannon today you don't wrecklessly approach like you said unless you have a great plan (falco).

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
Well I don't play to be smart I play to learn and mind f*** them
lolwut?
but I see what you mean icg, it's relatively hard to do, but only good players will be able to adapt to it. actually, if you're playing a non technical fox, you shouldn't be letting them space at all. just get in THEIR face. mario does pretty well against fox

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
People underestimate SHABAWD. If spaced well, you can SHABAWD -> Offstage Bair. And just pressure them off the stage.

j3ly

Smash Champion
she is the most similar top tier to mario. foxes recovery and need to tech practically makes him impossible to play at top top level if u have ADD like me. i just cant hack that. peach however... never dies, doesnt need to worry about missing techs.. or being tech chased.. amazing, perfect, spammable edgeguards which are super easy to pull off, DI is easy with her.. recovery is too good.. combos are nice

People underestimate SHABAWD
since i started really really improving about a month ago this has become a main part of my game. too many applications.

it also sets up a bair edgeguard against a falco with amazing DI. youll notice, as mario, that sometimes falco can DI in such a way that he has like 6 options which are impossible to cover. and one of them is side B to a platform u cant reach in time, and even if u do go to attack that platform the falco has noticed and recovered somewhere else

the falco i am specifically talk about is joanna dark, and the only time i could edgeguard him was with a bair that was setup by a bair waveland. it seems the only attack mario has that means falco has to recover at ledge height, as opposed to either being outright dead or having many recovery options. this is assuming they have amazing di

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAM7LcMNvXQ&feature=related

crews vid, and imo the best way to deal with IC's as mario. i felt disgusted at myself playing like this but.. ya know i really dont want to get grabbed. it works with fox to, caned the same player with my fox. he took two games, both were 4stocks below 40% lmaoooo.

camp the platforms until u can desync, **** nana then play popo normally. fox does it better cos he can just waveland around the platforms and then shine to separate -> shinespike nana EVERY time cos she is so thick, then deal with popo. full proof :) bring on chu dat :)

j3ly

Smash Champion
ur gnna need to explain this manoeuvre in a way in which i can picture it in my head. what u wrote above could be a few different edgeguards in different situations

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
hey jelly in that video I saw nana f-tilting and pulleming you as you said it won't work. Then I saw you f-tilt popos sheild without being punished and we both know peach can't move like that.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
ur gnna need to explain this manoeuvre in a way in which i can picture it in my head. what u wrote above could be a few different edgeguards in different situations
Dsmash reaches below the stage, so to SHABAWD (in case they don't attempt to sweetspot) toward the edge and Dsmash might be effective. I'd say SHABAWD to Cape might be good as well.

j3ly

Smash Champion
lol, you saw me ftilt a shield and almost get horribly punished with death for it!!

notice how the SECOND i ftilt that IC's, he is on me. with that one move i abandoned all momentum. **** nearly got dsmashed to hell, the only way to make it half ok would be to buffer a jump out of it and then ff dair. so bad its almost a bait lol

Bamesy

Smash Ace
...making interesting maneuvers in the Okanagan...
lol fuzzyness says that, it works sometimes. doing ******** shiz cos its unexpected.

lol clearly none of ur friends play solid then ^^
HAHAH that's EXACTLY what charles said about me. Something like "You don't even look like you know what you're doing. I'm so scared! I don't know if you're approaching or messing up!"
Sooooooo funny!
Come to canada again fuzzy. <3

and fixed? loljkz

People underestimate SHABAWD.
wtf is that? hahah

I'm devising a sort of checklist of what I think our sub-community should do to completely revive the Mario boards.

Up To Date Combo Video: 0%
(ANY combo video that's good lol)

Mario How to Play Guide: 0%
(Basic Mario move use ideals and methods.

Mario Written FAQ: 15%
(The layout of the moveset with % and hitboxes/frames)
(Current FAQ Incomplete+Outdated/We all need this.)

- [Bamesy has a thread that everyone should read because it's really universal and applies to Mario so even before he finishes converting it you should read it.]
- [J3ly has made a lot of posts that would be a great collection to have in one place so either compile them into something or rewrite it in a good format]

Mario Matchups: 0%
(Mario Discussion needed in General)

Mario Mains Index: 0%

Mario Techskill Video: 0% (SW showed me his Mario tech vid on his laptop and it's sick but I don't think it's on youtube, but it would be plenty enough, but we don't really need one really)

New Techniques Found: 0 (This may be the hardest task of all)
New Strategies Found: 1? (If Uairs to Up-B Ceiling kills can see results then we got 1.)
Not needed...and don't mention Brawl wtf...lol
Let's do this guys! Mario all the way!
Fixed!
My version of the OP.

Just my thoughts. :)

j3ly

Smash Champion
just for the record i find like 5 or 6 new strategies every week. need to write them down now cause i cant intergrate them at the rate i think them up :lick:

just dont post them all here any more because of desperation in certain people in the uk to beat me. plus a few are only small manoeuvres/cheap tricks. but every cheap trick may well get you an 80% combo. i once found a way to reverse double fair (as fox) from marth and make the situation my own. but i didn't write it down and now its gone, never to be performed by me :(

and it stands for some variant of bair waveland. i think kirbykaze came up with the best universal one, SH Bair FF WL - cannot mistake this.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Bamesy are you trolling? It's not funny! D:

But if you really don't know, SHABAWD = ShortHop Aerial Back A WaveDash.

n0ne

Smash Ace
lol. Mario has never been dead. Dead in a sense as to REVIVE HIM.

He has never been explored enough.
Sincerely, the only OTHER mario user ive played that i learned some stuff was from unknown522.

he wasnt very fast. but the stuff he does was pretty effective.
Remember. If youre 2 agressive/or if u rush into a match , you will just get u tilted by fox, falcon, mario , etc, etc, and that hurts. Smash can be fun, competitive, but sometime plain unjust . You just have to learn that.

But anyways. I have no problems with someone using my vids for a combo vid or something.
On the contrary. Id be pleased.

But yeah. People dont explore Mario enough. Its funny. Just because Mango used him now, these days, everyone wants to use mario somehow or the other.
(b4 flaming me ) I dont mean it in a bad way, but it just goes to show what motivates people to use characters such as him. (who have never been given a chance)
Personally, the only character i cannot beat as him are EXTREMELY CAMPY FOXES.
everyone else of the cast, i can deal with.Even Marth. Sheik is a b"·%"! sometimes, but i prefer her, than fox.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
I got to tournaments rarely because 1) I live on long island. there are no tournaments by me
and 2) all the players that I am aware of are very scattered so I can't really get to them
so no vids coming from me. I'm not that good anyway lol Apex was my first one so I'm basically learning and going by what you guys say. theory has a lot to do with it too.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
that falco had no idea how to play mario. you could see the fear in his eyes. fear of the plumber.
a few questions though:
2:12 why did you dash attack? thought u could combo him a little more I'm guessing?
1:56 you wavedashed back and jabbed at him some more. you could've punished a lot better I think
from 0:00 to 5:14 I think I heard a girl in the background. rooting for UK. j3ly getting some?
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
overall the match was pretty good. I think you were nervous.
GJ j3ly

j3ly

Smash Champion
dash attack, through the entire scope of my vids is a mistake lol. its only good against marth for some trixy combos from a down throw. i want to experiment with cornering people with it though. makes people need to tech at 0% - thats a great setup if they are cornered. and the move sends people behind us - even more cornering. think armada dsmash -> dsmash -> dash attack on spacies, normally in a corner

i housed him for a week he had plenty mario xp :D

jabs were a choke. jab jab kick -> uair repeat is my choke tell. fair fair fair fair is my sandbagging tell lol.

lol i was very nervous - after him saying he would **** me in crews all week when i was housing him. lots of people watching and cheering against me. being allowed into the team by the skin of my teeth, and then vouching for myself over 3 others (7 spaces in team, 10 players on standby) stacked. plus the hype in the rivalry that every1 knew about

i did ok. the CG should have been 0-death and the fthrow should have been 0-death too. made the game better with little CG though. overall i took 13 stocks and lost 11 for england. not bad for first attempt :)

there was also a point i used uthrow and literally missed the c-stick for my fsmash, that was pretty lame

n0ne

Smash Ace
i understand the pressure. u missed ffing alot though in some pretty critical situations.
I know its a mindgame too, that mario does more aerials in one in a jump, but sometimes its not too safe.

j3ly

Smash Champion
i dont think i missed any fastfalls, i prefer to never l-cancel in favour of auto cancel. you cant AC most aerials if you fastfall. not fastfalling also helps with spacing, which is a tech im starting to get alot better at but need work on

the FH forward airs were also deliberate - cause we land with no lag, i was trying to bait an approach i could CC and grab. didnt work either time :lick:

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
guys lets scratch the old mu thread and just make a new one. I mean take whats good from it to keep but i think we should just start discussions and talk out the best strats on what to do starting with fox and working our way down. idk who our mod is but he needs to put all our disscusions in a thread together.

Top Bottom