• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

reverse up-b knockback scaling

JoelLegion

Smash Rookie
I was told that the up-b hitbox (the one they use to ken combo in PAL with) has more knockback scaling than non-tipper forward smash and that the up-b will surpass the non-tipper forward smash in knockback, is this true, and at what percent does up become a better option?

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
I was told that the up-b hitbox (the one they use to ken combo in PAL with) has more knockback scaling than non-tipper forward smash and that the up-b will surpass the non-tipper forward smash in knockback, is this true, and at what percent does up become a better option?
Of course it does, up-b should start to kill at around 65-75% ish depending on character and position.

Rlagkrud

Smash Cadet
The chart seems to show it pretty clearly.
Looks like up until 350%, UpB has more knockback than sour fsmash.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Of course it does, up-b should start to kill at around 65-75% ish depending on character and position.
this is not true. you have good intentions but please don't spread false information.

If you die to an up B at 65% then you are probably playing puff or have horrific DI. If you're already off stage then maybe up B would flat out kill them that early but that is not the case in 90% of scenarios.

You should expect people to live past 110% at the very minimum with good DI. Probably much, much longer most of the time.

Also up B and reverse up B are the same thing. There is not physical difference between them other than one you turn around. People just do it to make it 2% safer if they miss or to be able to grab the ledge.

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
It really doesn't. The only difference is that it knocks at a lower angle. Look at the chart
Both statements are false, Tip up b has a bit more kb in the usual % ranges, and they both send at the same sakurai angle.

@ JoelLegion JoelLegion upb has higher base kb, but actually lower kb scaling.

Last edited:

20YY SS | Saiblade

3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
this is not true. you have good intentions but please don't spread false information.

If you die to an up B at 65% then you are probably playing puff or have horrific DI. If you're already off stage then maybe up B would flat out kill them that early but that is not the case in 90% of scenarios.

You should expect people to live past 110% at the very minimum with good DI. Probably much, much longer most of the time.

Also up B and reverse up B are the same thing. There is not physical difference between them other than one you turn around. People just do it to make it 2% safer if they miss or to be able to grab the ledge.
I did say depending on where you are on stage, didn't I? Point made.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
I did say depending on where you are on stage, didn't I? Point made.
lol don't do this.

That is like saying fox's upair kills falcon at 50%
**if you get a multiple uair chain and uair him near the top blast zone on yoshi's story.**
That's only going to be true 0.5% of the time. In any normal situation don't count on killing falcon with uair until easily after 100%.

Considering people can and do DI, it really is a bad general statement to make and bad to tell people that it will kill starting at 65. Every move kills at low percent with horrible DI. A falco f smash might literally kill you off the side blastzone at 30% on yoshi's. Or it might kill you at 110% if you DI like a normal person.

This isn't an offensive observation lol. If you've ever hit someone with up B then you'd know that's just wrong lol. You're almost literally doubling what you should expect.

Marth can chain grab falcon with u throw
  • at a handful of percents
  • if he doesn't jump
  • if he doesn't DI
  • if you're not below a platform
So by all means count on that too lol. Point made?

Last edited:

20YY SS | Saiblade

3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
lol don't do this.

That is like saying fox's upair kills falcon at 50%
**if you get a multiple uair chain and uair him near the top blast zone on yoshi's story.**
That's only going to be true 0.5% of the time. In any normal situation don't count on killing falcon with uair until easily after 100%.

Considering people can and do DI, it really is a bad general statement to make and bad to tell people that it will kill starting at 65. Every move kills at low percent with horrible DI. A falco f smash might literally kill you off the side blastzone at 30% on yoshi's. Or it might kill you at 110% if you DI like a normal person.

This isn't an offensive observation lol. If you've ever hit someone with up B then you'd know that's just wrong lol. You're almost literally doubling what you should expect.

Marth can chain grab falcon with u throw
  • at a handful of percents
  • if he doesn't jump
  • if he doesn't DI
  • if you're not below a platform
So by all means count on that too lol. Point made?
I didn't say that it does 100% of the time, I simply stated that it should start to kill around then.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
I didn't say that it does 100% of the time, I simply stated that it should start to kill around then.
I didn't say that's wrong 100% of the time, only 99% of the time go try it lol

For the most part people in the community/players consider moves to start killing at %s that are conducive to living. Yes if I DI away I will die at 65 but since that almost never happens lol we say the move kills notably past 100 because that's what's going to happen 99% of the time and truthfully if you want a pure kill you should try like 130%+.

At anything past super low level people are going to start using survival DI regularly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom