• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Returning to stage from edge

MJfan725

Smash Apprentice
I always seem to take loads of extra damage and lose stocks because I have trouble returning to stage as Fox. Any tips? Thanks

Jpad

Smash Rookie
mix ups like shorten side-b and recover onto stage help prevent easy punishes like falco dair on stage, mostly all you can do. Going for sweetspots can usually be stopped by a fox/falco downsmash, so that doesnt provide a 100% safe option. Being predictable is probably the worst thing you can do with fox/falco recovery

Kiusthugs

Smash Apprentice
Vague question. But imo when recovering as fox, I like to be patient of when to up b so that I can get a certain angle where I can drift back and forth to the edge without getting hit or get a really good sweet spot so I can tech or get the invincibility frames when i get the edge. The angle is really dependent if the opponent stands near the edge hoping to gimp you, test it out yourself or look up the "mangle". Mix ups are your friend too, dont use the same kind of recovery or recovery angle if possible.

MJfan725

Smash Apprentice
Im okay (at least arouund the level im at) at returning to ledge, its getting from ledge to stage that my big issue.

Kiusthugs

Smash Apprentice
I see. Again mixup are your friend don't get up the same way you always do. Ledgedash is something that you can learn into shine if you want them to get them away from you

Last edited:

MJfan725

Smash Apprentice
Yeah ive been thinking about the ledgedash. Its probably the best option but it can be beaten. Watching some other foxes i see that reutning to stage is a problem too. I guess the best thing is ledgedash with mixed length, and mix up the recovery from ledge to going on stage.

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
a lot of people get into the trouble of forgetting that timing is a mixup too.

you have normal getup, roll, getup attack, ledge hop stuff and invincible ledgedash.
the only way to not have someone just murder you every time(even getting murdered 50% is a lot) is to mixup not just what youre doing it but when

Wind

Smash Cadet
don't think you really need to mix up anything, invincible ledgedash is probably always the best option since you can do anything you want with invincibility frames. if your tech feels off though, probably mixing in some ledge hop nairs to cover yourself can be okay if they're not baiting it.

realistically though, you have to think about how you're getting punished for getting on the stage and what options you have that can get you back on stage safely. people can tell you your options but deciding them on the spot is something you gotta do yourself!

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
don't think you really need to mix up anything, invincible ledgedash is probably always the best option since you can do anything you want with invincibility frames.
A ledge dash has a predictable range, and if you're doing a move during your I frames, then the move will not end until after you are no longer invincible.

Spacing around and punishing gaint is easy if you have the read, which you will if they're doing it every time with the same timing.

Wind

Smash Cadet
Well the thing is that it puts you on stage and you can't get hit out of it until your invincibility frames are done. Obviously none of Fox's options are completely safe since you don't have that many invincibility frames, but it's a heck of a lot better than being on the ledge. You can still mix up the range by rolling in, jumping or even mixing up the ledgedash range after you're on stage. It's arguably less greedy than trying to get onstage otherwise, though the other options can yield better results if the opponent is using predictable moves to keep you on the ledge. Punishing Fox's perfect ledgedash isn't easy, you will inevitably be trying to punish the option that he chooses to do after the ledgedash, which is still easy since he's in the corner, but way harder than waiting and reacting to his other getup options.

EDIT: Also it's worth noting that Fox has up to 14 invincibility frames, which makes it an incredibly good option if you can consistently get a big number of invincibility frames.

Last edited:
Top Bottom