• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rest trading with Upair?

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
I've been looking around the forums to figure out how this happened but I'm still not sure..

Situation: Fox vs. Puff on battlefield
Fox upthrows puff and gets rested before his upair hitbox comes out, this happened at the right edge of the battlefield platform. For some reason, even though rest has invincibility frames, puff seemed to have traded with upair (or edge canceled?) and was wide awake. This baffled both of us as we had never seen anything like it.

Someone tell me how this happened. I don't remember if I took percent from the upair or not as this was in tourney and we continued with the match.

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
I've been looking around the forums to figure out how this happened but I'm still not sure..

Situation: Fox vs. Puff on battlefield
Fox upthrows puff and gets rested before his upair hitbox comes out, this happened at the right edge of the battlefield platform. For some reason, even though rest has invincibility frames, puff seemed to have traded with upair (or edge canceled?) and was wide awake. This baffled both of us as we had never seen anything like it.

Someone tell me how this happened. I don't remember if I took percent from the upair or not as this was in tourney and we continued with the match.
Guessing you traded, if not, holy mother of glitches.

Mtank

Smash Cadet
Could you have crouch canceled the first hit of up-air, but the second hit still can out and hit you after the one-frame invincibility? Idk

The Prince: SDJ

Smash Apprentice
Rest didn't trade
Rest cannot trade
Puff is invincible for the first 26 frames of rest
The fox was probably not frame perfect.
If you watch Zero vs Hungrybox at MLG Anaheim you will see Hbox rest zero out of up-throw because he was late with the up air.
If the fox is late on the jump, by I think 3-5 frames depending on percent and wiggling out, then the puff can rest the jump because upthrow hit box for fox doesn't come out until frame 8. It lasts from 8-9 and 11-14

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Could you have crouch canceled the first hit of up-air, but the second hit still can out and hit you after the one-frame invincibility? Idk
She has 26 invincibility frames, so no.

Are you absolutely sure it was rest? Because an un/barely charged rollout still has a hitbox. I have no frame data on different charges of rollout, but I believe the hitbox is smaller than rest's hitbox, but it still has considerable KB.

Masondeanm

Smash Cadet
Are you absolutely sure it was rest? Because an un/barely charged rollout still has a hitbox. I have no frame data on different charges of rollout, but I believe the hitbox is smaller than rest's hitbox, but it still has considerable KB.
Rest has the fire and the home-run bat noise. I don't see how you'd misinterpret anything else for a rest.

Last edited:

Masondeanm

Smash Cadet
Yeah I just had rest come out on the same frame as u-air while while fox and puff were on top of each other. Fox went bye bye and puff went to sleep. Maybe you did somehow manage to edge cancel it. Idk if that's confirmed impossible or not.

Last edited:

Crossie

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I just had rest come out on the same frame as u-air while while fox and puff were on top of each other. Fox went bye bye and puff went to sleep. Maybe you did somehow manage to edge cancel it. Idk if that's confirmed impossible or not.
Lol edgecancelled rest definitely isn't a thing. I think the rollout theory is the most convincing one so far. Maybe they were at a fest with lots of other setups, so they couldn't hear the rest sound, but assumed it happened. Something like that. Trading with rest is definitely impossible.

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
Definitely wasn't a rollout. And I'm quite familiar with the hitboxes/invincibility frames, so I'm just as baffled as you guys. He flew off screen and died as if I rested him, yet I was awake only moments after.

So, say it's impossible all you'd like, but I'd rather people look harder into it than tell me something that happened, can't happen.

FEOwain

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm...
Theory Time!
Fox's hurtbox was where your rest hitbox was, but Fox's uair hitbox was also where the rest hitbox was, resulting in a trade.
TL:DR; the hitboxes and hurtboxes overlapped in such a way the caused a trade.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Hmmm...
Theory Time!
Fox's hurtbox was where your rest hitbox was, but Fox's uair hitbox was also where the rest hitbox was, resulting in a trade.
TL:DR; the hitboxes and hurtboxes overlapped in such a way the caused a trade.
1.) If you read any of the previous posts here, you would have seen that rest has invincibility frames and cannot trade.
B.) You don't need a TL;DR for a 2 sentence-long post.

FEOwain

Smash Apprentice
1.) If you read any of the previous posts here, you would have seen that rest has invincibility frames and cannot trade.
B.) You don't need a TL;DR for a 2 sentence-long post.
Was just thinking of random ideas really.
TL:DR; Imma use TL:DR when I want

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
So basically, something happened here that no one can explain, and I'll have to take it as an odd glitch?

Top Bottom