• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rest Setups

Melee_Melody

Smash Rookie
I thought there should be a thread for each rest setup on every character on one thread, since most of them are littered around everywhere.
This might be helpful to newer players picking up jigglypuff.

I'll start with some rest setups:

All Characters (I think): Jab reset rest

Fox: Up throw rest
Up tilt rest
Up throw up air rest

Falco: Up throw rest
Up tilt rest
Up throw up air rest

Any other jigglypuff mains got any other setups to mention?

SableGuy

Smash Rookie
I know that if you d-throw Sheik and Marth so that they land on a platform, you can read their tech and punish with rest, but it isn't guaranteed as you have to read where they tech, or in response they could just get up attack. This may work for other characters, I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Trezz

Smash Cadet
As I was writing this, it kind of deviated from being just a list of Puff rest setups into more of a mixed list of setups + stuff Puff can punish with rest, but here it is anyway

General (works on everyone, or at least a majority of the cast):

• Jab reset->rest
  • Read roll->rest - Not technically a "setup," but still worth mentioning at least
  • Up-tilt->rest - Works on lower %s for floatier chars, around low-mid %s for fast fallers
  • Falling up-air->rest - Same as up-tilt
  • Dair->rest - Tutorial
  • Nair->rest - Only works on floatier characters (Marth, Sheik, Peach, ICs, etc.), usually have to hit with soft-hit (Puff's back hitbox) to link into rest, but I think front hitbox might also work at very low %s?
  • Meteor-cancel->rest - Tutorial, obviously only works on chars with meteor moves (Falcon, Mario, Yoshi, etc.). Situational, probably won't get too many opportunities for this.
  • Ledge-cancel sing->rest - Super gimmicky, I've only ever gotten this by accident lol.
  • Platform tech-chase rest - To respond to Sable's post: this is actually almost completely reactable, no reads necessary! You can react to every tech option on FoD, PS, and Yoshi's, and everything except tech roll away on DL and BF (you can still react with an aerial though, just not rest) because of the slightly bigger platforms. Just throw onto platform, FH so the apex of your jump is just under the middle of the platform, and double jump into your opponent (who would've teched by now) for the rest. Should work on everyone if I'm not mistaken.]
Fox/Falco:
  • Up-throw->rest - Bread n' butter
  • Up-throw->up-air tech trap->rest - Also bnb, starts working at like ~6% so get an aerial in or something before you go for it
  • Up-throw->SHFFL up-air->regrab->up-throw->rest - Do this if you get a grab at low %s (0-10ish) where up-throw->rest might not kill right away
  • Up-throw->pound->rest - Hbox classic, do this if Fox/Falco DI's completely to the side at mid percents. I'm not sure if this is actually guaranteed, but you should be able to still get a tech chase/maybe jab reset->rest if they get out.
  • Up-smash->rest - Works on Fox at around 40-55%, Falco at around 50-60%ish
  • Side-b punish rest - Easy rests if Fox/Falco likes to side-b back on stage
  • (FOX ONLY) Up-throw->up-air punish rest - If Fox is late on the up-air from dashing into jump or just jumping late, Fox will actually overlap with you when he goes for up-air and you can rest him. Caveat: You can't SDI the up-air if you go for this so it's safer like 90% of the time to just SDI instead.
  • (FOX ONLY) Up-smash punish OOS rest - If you shield Fox's up-smash, you should be able to punish with rest OOS, or shield-drop rest on platforms.
  • (FALCO ONLY) Falco dair/up-air trade->rest - If Puff is at low % and Falco mid %, trading your up-air with Falco's dair will pop Falco in a trajectory where you can get a rest out of it. Punishes the fact that Falcos are hard-wired to always come down with dair since it beats out most moves.
  • (FALCO ONLY) Dair punish rest - At below 35%, Falco's dair won't put you in stun and you can rest as soon as you both hit the ground. Only works if you are airborne when you get hit.
Captain Falcon:
  • Up-b lag punish rest - Standard Falcon edgeguard
  • Up-throw->rest - Caveat: does NOT work the same way as Fox/Falco, simply up-throw->rest is not guaranteed! However if Falcon double jumps to try to get out, you should be able to lead into rest a good chunk of the time.
  • Up-smash->rest: Less reliable than on Fox/Falco, but still possible around 40%
  • Side-b punish rest - You can rest Falcon just before his side-b hits you, but it's pretty tight timing
  • D-throw->knee punish rest - If you DI out and away on Falcon's d-throw, and he has to dash to get the knee, your rest will hit before his knee does.
Marth:
  • Up-b lag punish rest - Standard Marth edgeguard
  • Grab punish rest - Puff can duck under Marth's standing grab and JC grab, and punish with rest. Be careful not to get dash-grabbed though.
  • Falling up-air->up-tilt->rest - Technically a combo of two general setups, but I remember reading somewhere that it's guaranteed at 0%? Haven't confirmed yet though.
  • Bair->rest - If you can get a bair chain started on Marth and he decides to hold in to not get WOPed, you can get a rest out of bair.
  • Up-tilt punish shield drop rest - Tutorial
  • D-tilt punish OOS rest - If you're right next to Marth and shield a d-tilt, you can rest him OOS. Kinda hard to pull off because of how situational it is.
Sheik:
  • Up-b lag punish rest - Standard Sheik edgeguard
  • Crouch->rest - Puff can crouch under Sheik's jab, grabs (all of them), and poorly spaced f-tilts/up-tilts, and CC Sheik's dash attack.
  • D-smash punish WD OOS rest - Tutorial
  • Properly spaced f-tilt punish OOS rest - Apparently this is possible, but I haven't ever actually tried it myself to confirm so idk.
Peach:
  • D-smash CC punish rest - Recently found in the Puff R&D fb group, you can actually CC rest Peach's d-smash after 2 hits if you're facing Peach and are under 40%. You take 28% doing this (rest invincibility will protect you from the 10000% you'd take CC d-smash otherwise), but not a bad trade for a rest kill considering the lack of setups vs. Peach.
  • D-throw->nair punish rest - Under 40% you can DI Peach's d-throw so you'll be straight above her and rest her before nair comes out.
  • Turnip->rest - If you catch one of Peach's turnips, you can get a rest out of throwing it at her from point blank in the air.

Not the whole cast, but at least for now I figured I'd cover the generally most common MUs. Also if you haven't seen it already, definitely watch the Technical Machine No. 44 combo video/guide, it is actually a godsend (lol a good chunk of the setups I wrote came from it).

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Just gonna add a two things for Sheik that I tested:

-Uair and fair low on shield --> crouch --> whiffed grab --> rest

You can crouch before shield grab comes out doing both moves low on shield. Uair is obviously the better choice here. If they jump or do something early, they'll get hit by it, which might lead into rest or another combo. And to punish the crouch, the have to take a risk. If they stay in shield too long, you just grab or turn around utilt if you think they'll do something late.

-WD OOS rest on ftilt at CLOSEish range.

I tested this and it's legit. I forget the frame window, but it's kinda tight. You CANNOT do it at all ranges. Idk how to describe exactly the range it works at. It's kind of in the middle of the hitbox.

Last edited:

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
Poor di on a down throw by almost all of the high tiers at various percents leads to them popping straight up like an uptilt. That's restable

Top Bottom