• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rest Fox's upthrow->upair?

Trezz

Smash Cadet
I've heard that at low percents (0-25ish%) Jigglypuff can rest Fox out of his upthrow -> upair since at that point it's not a guaranteed combo yet. Could someone elaborate more on how exactly that works? Is it just a matter of spamming down-b when you get thrown, or is there more to it like SDI-ing down or something? Also, are there other characters where something similar to this happens (I think I remember seeing it works on Captain Falcon too)?

Here's a gfycat of what I'm talking about:

https://gfycat.com/EthicalSereneIraniangroundjay

Mtank

Smash Cadet
I don't wanna give you false info but I'll give tell you what has worked for me: watch fox jump, hold down and toward him, press B when it will connect. So basically what I'm trying to say is it's all visual (as for a lot of this game) you can see when Fox is going to be inside of you, so that's when you rest. simple as that. But yeah you can also do it vs c.falcons down throw-> knee. This is actually easier imo but they can space the knee so that it won't work. Just something to try if you ever really need a stock, will probably only work once

Trezz

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I'd just use this to catch people off guard rather than like a regular thing, especially since there's probably very few situations where this is a better option than just trying to SDI out of the second upair hit. Really I was just curious if it was just a reaction-based thing or if it was more technical than that (like if Hbox knew it would work, or if he kinda just went for it).

So for Falcon, you just rest as soon as he would connect with knee (the strong hitbox I'm guessing)? I would think that his knee would hit me before he overlaps with the rest hitbox, but I guess that's not the case?

Mtank

Smash Cadet
Well he has to be pretty far inside of you to get the strong hit, so if you can rest when he's inside of you before he knees, boom. I guess that's the same for the Fox situation. It's mostly just reaction.

Trezz

Smash Cadet
So I actually just tried this out in some friendlies at Smash Con and got it working pretty consistently! Surprisingly I managed to get it once on Fox at like 45%, so I might try testing further to see if that was just a lucky one-time thing or if it really does work at percentages that high as well.

Although I highly doubt it would, it'd be neat if it worked all the way up to like Puff's kill percent as well, since it could potentially shut out Fox's up-air if you got really consistent with it. Probably just wishful thinking though. :awesome:

Masondeanm

Smash Cadet
So I actually just tried this out in some friendlies at Smash Con and got it working pretty consistently! Surprisingly I managed to get it once on Fox at like 45%, so I might try testing further to see if that was just a lucky one-time thing or if it really does work at percentages that high as well.

Although I highly doubt it would, it'd be neat if it worked all the way up to like Puff's kill percent as well, since it could potentially shut out Fox's up-air if you got really consistent with it. Probably just wishful thinking though. :awesome:
Well it'll work at any % if the fox is too slow and doesn't space correctly.

Last edited:

CelloLuCC

Smash Apprentice
As a C. Falcon main, resting during a dthrow combo will work maybe once. Most cfs will space it so the tip of the knee hits. Cf can jump towards you with the right input and bait it out. Just rest if you see him too close and hasn't put it out the hitbox yet. It's not too easy to get the right timing for knee so lower level players or cfs going through the motion can get rested.

Top Bottom