• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Request for Critiques (Vids)

DGMavn

Smash Apprentice
(xposted to Oli and Lucas forums)

Hey y'all,

My college just had a smallish (~32 player) tourney and I have vids of my Olimar against my friend's Lucas/MK in the finals. We're looking for some critiques on both sides, so...do it! Thanks in advance.

Finals 1 DGMavn (Olimar) vs. Arc (Lucas) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPQNEwKcBHU
Finals 2 DGMavn (Olimar) vs. Arc (MK) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXKRKvpxT5o
Break our bad habits, please.

-DGM

Lorcl678

Smash Apprentice
- I really don't prefer to use the down b because if you miss, your opponent will most likely punish you. Though, this move is capable of killing if you save it when your opponent is at a fairly high percentage.
- The main problem I'm concerned with is how you're gliding; it's way too obvious. Every time you glide, you glide in the same angle, try to mix it up by moving up and down or else your opponent could just side step / shield (which he did) and punish you.
- I hate Metaknight's jab, it's way too long and easily punishable. When you get Pikmin stuck in your face, try using the Mach Tornado and use that offensively but just make sure your Tornado doesn't end in the air, or else Olimar could use Usmash you.

Prax

Smash Journeyman
Try not to just fall down on Olimar like you did so many times, he hit you most of the time with a U-smash.
If you do choose to do that, at least airdodge.

Like Lorcl678 said, Meta's jab is not a very good move at all. Either deal with the extra damage, or use Mach Tornado.

Try not to use his Down-B much either, it can be punished quite easily.

Edit: Just realised that you are the olimar, not the MK. Oops:dizzy:

Arc-Impulse

Smash Rookie
I'm the MK he played against; I didn't have an account here so he posted this on my behalf. Thanks for all the advice so far. MK isn't someone I play frequently, I was just under the impression that he had a statistical advantage over Olimar. That probably explains my predictability.. I was kind of figuring out the character as we went along.

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. I liken MK's quick sword to a Chef's Knife and the Pikmen to vegetables needing to be diced.

Edit: I'm hesitant about giving advice about Meta Knight if you don't intend to use him much. I definitely have a lot of tips to give you, especially things to do better against Olimar, but if you're going to be sticking to Lucas, then my advice for his character below should suffice.

Edit: Ok, I got the chance to watch the videos. I've only watched the first one, but I've got tips for both sides. Olimar is another character I use alot, and I definitely have some tips there to start.

Olimar: Use your Foward-B a lot more. ALOT. When you have distance, take advantage of it by being annoying with those buggers (i.e. Pikmen). They tack on damage quickly and often put the opponent on the defensive even though you may not be anywhere near them. Be mindful of how many Pikmen you have on you so you don't end up helpless.

This way you don't have to move around as much. Olimar is defensive most of the time and should be using his Pikmen to make the opponent screw up (and damage them in the process). Also, his smashes have basically no knockback at low percentages as you can quickly see at the beginning of that first video. Before spamming those, you should be tacking on some more damage first.

Lucas: To be blunt, your approaches were about as bad as they could be. You used your dash attack WAY too much. It's slow. And has a lot of lag. And it's really not that powerful. Worst of all, you were fighting Olimar and often threw yourself into an easy fsmash or usmash.

Lucas has excellent Aerials. You should definitely make use of them by utilizing the SH as an approach. With his disjointed hitbox and decent priority, most Pikmen attacks will be knocked aside. Just be careful of aerials with more lag than others, such as the dair.

Also, Olimar is best at medium range. Fortunately, Lucas is good here, too. Properly spaced PK Fires are excellent for keeping pressure on Olimar without putting yourself in too much danger. PK Fire is stopped by any Pikmen attack (Foward-B or fsmash, for example), but it can also kill all but the Purple and Red pikmen.

Use PK Thunder a lot, like you do, but maybe change the way you use it a bit. You got quite predictable by the end and the Olimar was shielding by the time you blasted yourself into him. Try using the PK Thunder itself as the attack more and make sure you're safe by either knocking him away first and then following up with PK Thunder or by having plenty of distance between you to begin with.

Look up B-sticking. There's a thread by SamuraiPanda in the Brawl Tactics forum about Auto-RAR and other such things. The uses for Lucas are incredible.

Specific advice against Olimar: Whenever Olimar throws a Pikmen, it becomes vulnerable to damage. Almost any attack will kill a Pikmen, unless it's a Purple one. If you find yourself just outside of his fsmash range while he's spamming the Pikmen, take the opportunity to dispatch all the Pikmen lying helplessly on the ground. It's easier with MK because of his faster attack speed, but a dsmash from Lucas should definitely do the trick. The same applies if you ever see a Pikmen running from far away to catch up to Olimar. Feel free to turn around and smack the Pikmen.

Arc-Impulse

Smash Rookie
Edit: I'm hesitant about giving advice about Meta Knight if you don't intend to use him much. I definitely have a lot of tips to give you, especially things to do better against Olimar, but if you're going to be sticking to Lucas, then my advice for his character below should suffice.
It was more a move of desperation, I may use him in the future, but I understand and I do intend to be sticking to Lucas in the long run.

Thanks for the wonderful advice, I really appreciate you taking the time to pick me apart. I played peach in melee and I used her dash attack almost CONSTANTLY. I definitely need to break that habit and get used to SH aerials/PK fires. I'll be sure to try out some of this stuff and return with results eventually. Thanks again !

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
No problem. I didn't mention it because you should learn about it if you look up B-sticking, but short hopping your PK Fires would probably be a good idea. Unlike Ness's, they still move straight when in the air, and it pushes you slightly back (Pushes you back a ridiculous amount if you use the right technique, which B-sticking allows you to do quite easily) and makes spacing a bit easier with it. Make sure you get comfortable with the range of it as will probably be one of the attacks you use the most.

Top Bottom