• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(Request) Finding a Way to Spice up Hyrule Castle 64

Capick

Smash Rookie
Hyrule Castle 64 may provide a surge of nostalgia for many P:M'ers, but I just find it ugly. It has no color, no atmosphere, and almost none of the Bridge of Eldin songs fit there (I feel the same way about Saffron City). But then I found this...

(http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/Bra...=*&Credit=*&Info=*&Thumb1=*&Type=**&TypeAlt=*)

...and decided all my problems in life were solved. However, this version desyncs with the P:M Castle because it's slightly bigger. No, I do not know this because I dug deep through file data and checked collision data (more on that in a sec). I know because I playtested both and measured Toon Link's footsteps.

So the perfectionist in me wants Eldin Castle to play exactly like P:M Castle. This isn't a simple case of "Just re-texture," or "Just resize models and match collision data," though. I've encountered a few problems (discovered through BrawlBox, of course).

-P:M Castle uses one giant model. On the other hand, Eldin Castle is made up of many individual models. It would be extremely difficult to resize all of the Eldin models to fit the P:M model.
-Textures on the castle itself. Presumably because of its crap-like quality, P:M Castle uses a lot fewer textures for the castle than Eldin does. Plus, they're named differently, they correspond with different models (see: above), etc.
-Collision data inconsistencies. P:M Castle uses three sets of collision data, while Eldin Castle uses two. One of the P:M collision data files does match up with one on Eldin though. (I don't even know why a stage like this needs multiple collsion datas in the first place...)

These problems are too big for an inexperienced stage hacker like me to solve. I guess someone could just rip the Eldin background/lighting and stick it on P:M Castle (I wouldn't mind the low quality N64 textures too much), but ideally someone can find a way to create a Castle that looks exactly like the one in the link I posted above, but plays exactly like the stage in P:M.

In case anyone wants to take a shot at it but needs these...

Here's the P:M STGOLDIN.pac
http://www.mediafire.com/?9gipbfs8dqzhpnb

and .rel
http://www.mediafire.com/?f9kbm1v5mwwq4al

Kati

Smash Lord
I was the one who put that and the night time version together (and am working on a winter version), so I'll look into a resized version. If anyone else with decent stage experience wants to try though, be my guest.

If you haven't already, ask the mighty m22k. For someone with such massive output, he sure is great at responding to what must be massive amount of nublets asking him questions.

*Edit*

Almost done. I haven't tested it yet, but it looked good in the collision preview. The problem though is that it uses much fewer textures, so there will be less details. Whereas the pm version has one "front wall" picture, I believe the eldin version had five (all of which have a much higher resolution).

Kati

Smash Lord
I found that one to be decent, until I realized how low the stage is compared to the ground it is on. Also, Castle Siege is now a viable stage, so that background has the risk of becoming redundant.

TheTTimeLives

Smash Cadet
EDIT: Nvm I'm ******** it was you who did that idea. So yea I guess just re-size it and maybe clean up some textures or add something to make it less blocky. Maybe import some models from one of the games? I dunno.

You should just throw in some of the old Bridge of Eldin background and than change the lighting I guess. I think someone had done that already but it hasn't been re-sized or whatever.

Also, it would be cool if someone committed to bringing the N64 levels up to speed. Hyrule Castle and Saffron City just look awful right now.

Kati

Smash Lord
I never grow weary of fourside saffron. Especially with the ufo...

Anyways, I did import the background, but it isn't showing quite yet. I can't do my usual testing process of running back and forth between the console and computer 20+ a day, so this might take a while, but I'm confident it will work out.

*Edit*

Background works. I just have to decide on which of the many gritty brick textures will fit the best on its own. But really though, why does P:M use this smaller version? it's still a gigantic stage that didn't make it to the first page, but now it has super cramped areas on the left and right. For that reason I will probably continue using the original big one, but perhaps with a lower ceiling boundary.

roymaster803

Smash Apprentice
One of the problems with the Castle of Eldin was that King Bubbukin and his boar sound effects still activate on the stage and they don't end. they just loop. So the stage will need to be ported.

Capick

Smash Rookie
One of the problems with the Castle of Eldin was that King Bubbukin and his boar sound effects still activate on the stage and they don't end. they just loop. So the stage will need to be ported.
I'm not if this is what you mean, but there is a way to use it over Bridge of Eldin without the sound effects. Just take a Temple .rel file and convert it to an Eldin one.

And I agree, P:M's Castle is a bit to small on the sides. I'd say the same thing for their version of Fourside: It's not the same as Melee's. But I want my game to sync as much as possible online...

Top Bottom