• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reputations Effect on Play.

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
BergenField, Bergen County(North East Jersey)
In my personal experience with playing professionals and playing strangers as well as playing good people who know me well ive come up with an idea. It seems if people dont know who you are in terms of skill most of the time they'll play more offensively and agressive. They dont feel combos or good edgegaurding. I noticed this mostly against playin pros. Although against friends who know my style of play and how good i am they tend to be less offensive and balance defensiveness more into their style of play. Wen pros play each other their is usually a sense of both offense and defense. im losing my what i intended to say but my point is:

Do people play better knowing someones skill level as well as play style or do they play better knowing little about the play style.

virtualgamecafe

Smash Journeyman
ppl...well...i play better if i don't know how good the person is...but if i do know i will be going crazy with combos and will give no mercy!!!

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
i think i understand what you are trying to say. For example I play my good friend almost every day in smash. I main mew two so he knows what I can and cannot do and visa versa. However when I play other people who don't know me they always seem to just go crazy offence on me. Perhaps it's because I play such a weak character or maybe your right. They don't know my skill level and just assume that i am a nub. This is an interesting topic because this also brings to mind something that i have seen. Or perhaps im just screwed up. I call this phonomna "paradox of the noob" now your brobably think what? but let me explain my self. I have seen and played many games against people who do not take smash competativly. Now when playing them They sometimes get the better of me and get in an attack, not because I wasn't ready but because I wasn't expecting it. Now the response to this statement would probably be well you should be ready they are a noob. However this is where I want to explain myself. Sometimes better players/players who think they are good do not expect an opposing player to do something so stupid. ie. Sitting in a corner and charging up a smash. Now the noob does not realize that what he is doing is tupid. The better player does but sometimes isn't always in a position to punish the noob because they cannot belive someone would actually do something like that. While chargin up a smash in a corner probably wasn't the best example I am sure you can think of situations where a noobie might do something that you never forsaw because the act of doing so is just stupid. (when I say this i mean it places them in a bad position ext.)
Ok well I just re-read my post and it kind of confuzes me trying to put this idea into writing, now that i think of it, this isn't working at all. :( but im just going to post it and see what happens lolz:)

Lightshade

Smash Ace
I understand what you are saying, but it all depends on the person you're playing against. I play with the same style against every person I verse, I also think that people with a high reputation will be expected to win most of the time; resulting in pressure which can cause some players to lose it during a match.

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
BergenField, Bergen County(North East Jersey)
i completely agree with you tongji because i have had the same experience. Although wat i was trying to get at more was the idea that maybe the opponent who doesnt know you wont exactly think ur a noob more they'll just feel they should control the match. this is hard to explain but ill do my best.

What ive experienced is that the pro players ive played are already confident in their abilities. so as soon as they begin to play me they start offensively and play agressive worrying little about what combos or offensive skills i might have. ive watched these same players play other pros with the same character yet they play far more defensively and carefully.

what some people will say is tht pros are able to punish people better then normal people which might be true. this means tht my point is true. the more well known u are for your skills the more defensive and intellegent your opponent will play.

This brings up another point i wanted to bring up. I feel like this gives undiscovered pros a huge advantage. if u were to train hard and become as good as a pro yet havent gone to any tourneys yet u hav a large advantage against the other pros tht are their. While they will play strictly offensive and careless u will already know their skill level and punish them accordingly. I feel that this was bombsoldiers when he placed 2nd in that JGT touney years ago.

yomedrath

Smash Apprentice
that might be true, but if you really havent been to any tourneys, you´re propably a bit unexperienced against good players... if you travel around and visit a few pros, and get to know the "pro playing style" you might be right ^^

the most good players propably will think they´ll beat their opponent if they havent heard of them, so they just get on him and attack ... so if you know you have a chance against that guy, and play intelligent, you might be in advance

though i dont think its that hard to settle down and play a bit more defensive for the other player

yome

ºOblivionº

Smash Journeyman
Nice thread ***** ( lol that sounds ghetto ) I like the feed back so far. It would be good to see how well it does. Also as for my feedback. I used to use a set offensive style or camp to see how my opponet re-acts to it, not really giveing them the chance to do anything. Untill I played my first pro. Sometimes the pros can intimidate a not-so known player, And cause them to play over defensively, generally taking up a new stlye their not use too and cause them to lose.

Overall I perfer to watch my opponent fight somone else, and learn their flaws, combos strong and weak points. And use this knowledge to my advantage. Since my entire play style can be based of predicting and countering. I can normally do this with in watching and playing my opponet atleast once.

To answer your qusetion, I play better knowing my opponets style.

Top Bottom