• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Replacing Wolf.

foxyopiumfun

Smash Cadet
So since SSB4 is out I'm having the hardest time replacing him. He was my main in Brawl and I can't seem to find anyone like him. Please no LOL FOX OR FALCO. Its not the same. Anyone know of any characters similar to his play style or adapted well with others since him?

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Nobody assigns your main for you. Just go through all the characters and pick which one you like best, either gameplay wise or main game series wise.

foxyopiumfun

Smash Cadet
I've played almost every character and can't seem to find anyone. I was just asking in general to see where other wolf players might have migrated to in using.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
I've played almost every character and can't seem to find anyone. I was just asking in general to see where other wolf players might have migrated to in using.
I'm sorry, but I didn't play Brawl very much, and certainly not online. What exactly are you looking for (apart from Wolf :p )? Someone who can combo/ has good range/ projectile heavy/ strong/ light and fast/ good off stage?

Last edited:

foxyopiumfun

Smash Cadet
brawl's online was awful. its hard to say. wolf was mix of things. other than great recovery

Raijinken

Smash Master
In settings that allow custom moves, most of Wolf's are available for Fox, if that makes any difference.

Otherwise, Fox and Falco really are the most-similar characters, seeing as they're all based on the same specials, and no one really has similar normals to Wolf.

But if you want a non-space-furry suggestion, Captain Falcon. You can never go wrong with Captain Falcon.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Well let's see...

I main Pit, as he's my favourite character from the roster, not to mention his fantastic air game and recovery. He also has strong smashes and his arrows are good for gimping.

Bowser, Yoshi, ZSS, Rosalina and Greninja are the most popular choices as of late. They're all either bulky and powerful or very fast and combo heavy. If you've already tried out the roster, just play Random on For Glory so you're forced to try all the characters in an online environment. You're bound to find someone at some point.

Sambiti

Smash Cadet
Zero suit samus has stuns like wolfs lasers and is pretty fast also. :4zss:

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
In settings that allow custom moves, most of Wolf's are available for Fox, if that makes any difference.

Otherwise, Fox and Falco really are the most-similar characters, seeing as they're all based on the same specials, and no one really has similar normals to Wolf.

But if you want a non-space-furry suggestion, Captain Falcon. You can never go wrong with Captain Falcon.
yeah, no. Fox and Falco still play nothing like wolf outside of, what, using up/side-b to recover and down b to reflect.

AFAIK Fox's Wolf Flash doesn't have scarrign and seems much weaker than what Wolf had, so lolnope.

anyways, i have migrated to bowser jr; but he really isn't much like wolf besides... i dunno, he is kind of a flashy character. NB is slow, so there is that...

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I would say, if you're looking for someone SIMILAR, Falco became a lot slower and more suited towards getting up in yo face and close range combat, as Wolf used to (as far as I know)
If you haven't given him a chance, I suggest it, as he plays significantly different than from Melee and Brawl.

If you did and it didn't work, Captain Falcon IS pretty darn good XP

AlexAnthonyD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Anthony
3DS FC
1521-5082-7099
Sometimes you just have to accept that what you are looking for does not exist and either adapt to a new character or just continue to play the character in the game that you like.

I played Wolf a lot in brawl and there is really no similar sm4sh counterpart. This is really similar with a lot of characters from one game to the next, all we can do is change.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Sometimes you just have to accept that what you are looking for does not exist and either adapt to a new character or just continue to play the character in the game that you like.

I played Wolf a lot in brawl and there is really no similar sm4sh counterpart. This is really similar with a lot of characters from one game to the next, all we can do is change.
Kinda like the poor ol' Roy players from Melee. Just gotta find something kinda similar and re-adapt.

I guess what would be good to know is what you're looking for in a character. My brother was a Roy main, and since he liked high power and wide coverage, he just swapped to Ike (helped that he and I are both big Fire Emblem fans, so we liked keeping our main doubles team as Team Fire Emblem). I'm not overly familiar with Wolf really, but what I remember most besides his specials were his lunges and his kinda strange hit directions, which kinda remind me of Sheik or Little Mac.

Last edited:

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Yeah, i had to find another "main" since in brawl i pretty much only did Wolf or Wario.
I dont understand why they removed wolf and not falco. Falco is and always will be the 2-bit hero of the game, and since he has access to the same crap/same size/strength as Fox hes forced to be damn near the same thing. Wolf was different because of his Claws and lumbering movement. Yeah he still had the special moves but they had specific uses, all of which were different. His gun had a great close-up hit because it had a blade on it.

One can hope he returns as DLC but since Fox has a wolf skin....i kinda doubt it :(

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Well I mean
Their B-ups have different ranges, one kicks his shield, one shields with it, he's slightly taller, he's slower but hits harder, his landmaster is weaker but can fly higher, etc etc, buuuut o3o

RamenKing1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Samakoph
3DS FC
0688-5616-9231
I mained Wolf. I've personally have come to like MegaMan, Greninja, Pac-Man and Sonic.

BBC7

Smash Ace
I think it's ass that they removed Wolf, he was a unique character with a kick-ass moveset and played nothing like Fox or Falco. His removal is not justified.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, i had to find another "main" since in brawl i pretty much only did Wolf or Wario.
I dont understand why they removed wolf and not falco. Falco is and always will be the 2-bit hero of the game, and since he has access to the same crap/same size/strength as Fox hes forced to be damn near the same thing. Wolf was different because of his Claws and lumbering movement. Yeah he still had the special moves but they had specific uses, all of which were different. His gun had a great close-up hit because it had a blade on it.

One can hope he returns as DLC but since Fox has a wolf skin....i kinda doubt it :(
If your in 2 SSBers your in all of them... unless your ice climbers, in my opinion sakurai should of only removed wolf if he had plans to add another character from the star fox franchise... hopefully he has a DLC with wolf or someone else.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
You can never replace Wolf he's just too bad***
I think it's *** that they removed Wolf, he was a unique character with a kick-*** moveset and played nothing like Fox or Falco. His removal is not justified.
Exactly! I've found a ton more evidence that references Wolf in the game. Either he's got a good shot and just got delayed or Sakurai hates Star Fox and Wolf ( see link in my signature if you're curious about that) Its down to one of those two. Plus now that Falco's lost his competitive charm due to a hard nerf he feels unjustified especially with no Wolf. My main is Wario,but Wolf was my second main. They play differently, but I liked both their styles. Fox and Falco can't replace Wolf no one can. and that's why he must come back.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
You can never replace Wolf he's just too bad***

Exactly! I've found a ton more evidence that references Wolf in the game. Either he's got a good shot and just got delayed or Sakurai hates Star Fox and Wolf ( see link in my signature if you're curious about that) Its down to one of those two. Plus now that Falco's lost his competitive charm due to a hard nerf he feels unjustified especially with no Wolf. My main is Wario,but Wolf was my second main. They play differently, but I liked both their styles. Fox and Falco can't replace Wolf no one can. and that's why he must come back.
Falco just plays...differently now.

He can still be top tier

Amirite?

A..amirite?

Regardless, Wolf was really cool, because while his technology sucked ass, his close combat skill was incredible.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Falco just plays...differently now.

He can still be top tier

Amirite?

A..amirite?

Regardless, Wolf was really cool, because while his technology sucked ***, his close combat skill was incredible.
The villains themselves are generally very good at close range combat and are usually power types (with an exception or two).

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
For what it's worth, I think he has the best shot of coming back out of the cut brawl characters. Plus, I want him back. His series isn't dead and is one of Nintendo's finest, so it's not like anything is working against him if we're talking DLC possibilities.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Actually from the cut brawl characters the ones with the most likely chance would be Ice Grabbers, as they WERE supposed to be IN THE GAME in the first placeXD

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
What are the exceptions again? XDD
:4metaknight::mewtwopm: They aren't heavy power hitters ( might be wrong on Mewtwo about the power part), but Meta Knight is a speedy character who racks up damage with fast attack vs a power character who has slower, but more powerful attacks with greater knock back.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I feel we'll see Wolf make a return, either as DLC for Smash 4 or perhaps a return in Smash 5. However, let your new main come to you instead of you actively trying to look for it. You'd be surprised at how effectively it works.

TeamEvil

Smash Rookie
There's no replacement for Wolf within the constraints of your description otherwise I would suggest Falco. I think you'll just have to play around till you find a new main.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I'm having the same problem. Us Wolf mains really got shafted, huh?

Like I'm not seeing any characters that have quite the same kit. Significantly better air mobility than ground mobility, a good juggling up aerial, a powerful down smash, an interruption projectile, a get-off-me special (reflector), one throw (down throw) that is bizarrely much better than the other three, amazing poking aerial, fast normals in general, etc.

Robin and Jigglypuff possess some of these qualities, but not enough for it to feel the same to me. Robin has no air mobility and laggy attacks and Jigglypuff's lacking in the specials department. It might be a bit of a stretch to say it, but I think Palutena has some similarities to Wolf as well; Auto-Reticule halts foes at mid-range, Reflect can push away foes right in front of you, her forward aerial is as far as I can tell a great poke, her down throw is hella good and combos into forward aerial for free, up aerial is a good juggler, etc. She has one of the fastest running speeds however, which contrasts Wolf immensely and (most of?) her KO moves don't have fast startups. So again, I can't see a perfect match to Wolf.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I'm having the same problem. Us Wolf mains really got shafted, huh?

Like I'm not seeing any characters that have quite the same kit. Significantly better air mobility than ground mobility, a good juggling up aerial, a powerful down smash, an interruption projectile, a get-off-me special (reflector), one throw (down throw) that is bizarrely much better than the other three, amazing poking aerial, fast normals in general, etc.

Robin and Jigglypuff possess some of these qualities, but not enough for it to feel the same to me. Robin has no air mobility and laggy attacks and Jigglypuff's lacking in the specials department. It might be a bit of a stretch to say it, but I think Palutena has some similarities to Wolf as well; Auto-Reticule halts foes at mid-range, Reflect can push away foes right in front of you, her forward aerial is as far as I can tell a great poke, her down throw is hella good and combos into forward aerial for free, up aerial is a good juggler, etc. She has one of the fastest running speeds however, which contrasts Wolf immensely and (most of?) her KO moves don't have fast startups. So again, I can't see a perfect match to Wolf.
It's funny because everything you just decribed is Villager.

He's got incredible air mobility due to baloons and Lloid. He's got the juggling upair turnips. He's got the down-smash turnips. He's got Lloid as an interruption projectile AND a get-off-me projectile. He's got his slingshot as an amazing poking aerial. And his normals are fast as well.

Oh and well all his grabs are pretty great, aside from speed, so think that's also pretty cool.

So Villager new Wolf?

JayFresh

Smash Cadet
he was my main in brawl too, they gave falco his Bair so there's that I guess ? =/

but given that fact I really hope that doesnt mean he wont ever make it T_T

Last edited:

ChrisP4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christian.P4
3DS FC
5284-1444-6964
Honestly now that I think about it, cutting Wolf was arguably the biggest loss in Smash4. We're already lacking villains and yet they cut him, smh.

Wolfiv

Smash Journeyman
I still haven't played the new SM4SH as I'm waiting for the Wii U version.
I, of course, would have bought the game already for my 3DS if Wolf was included.
Edit: Sorry, now for the main topic (I guess I was very frustrated.)
Maybe Duck Hunt is a good choice for you. Or Fox with his Wolf alike alternate color and "Wolf's custom moveset", but I've heard they cannot be used for "For Glory", so that sucks...!

I know, I know! Nothing can replace him...

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Honestly now that I think about it, cutting Wolf was arguably the biggest loss in Smash4. We're already lacking villains and yet they cut him, smh.
Yeah plus when you see things like Star Wolf/Sector Z as the alt song for Corneria and one of Fox's customs being called Wolf Flash, you really can't forgive this cut.

Top Bottom