• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reminder: CHARACTERS AREN'T THE WHOLE GAME!

WrappedInBlack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PyroJayBlack
3DS FC
1736-3220-0909
Seen people on other sites say there is no point in getting the Wii U version because there are no more characters and stages, items, modes aren't real to them... It's not Nintendo's fault that all they do is 1v1, No Items, Final Destination all day everyday. They don't wanna play Smash Run or Adventure mode cause the world isn't a giant Final Destination where you just run from one end to the other and take on enemies 1v1 at a time.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Characters are the whole game. That's kinda how the series started, y'know

Chompjil

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chompjil
3DS FC
0387-8858-0021
I dunno, it's a big part, one of the main things about smash is "Play as your favorite Nintendo All-Stars", not everything but pretty big

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
HEY, SPOILER ALERT, this might come off as a surprise but...
They are.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Seen people on other sites say there is no point in getting the Wii U version because there are no more characters and stages, items, modes aren't real to them... It's not Nintendo's fault that all they do is 1v1, No Items, Final Destination all day everyday. They don't wanna play Smash Run or Adventure mode cause the world isn't a giant Final Destination where you just run from one end to the other and take on enemies 1v1 at a time.
The second half of your post has nothing to do with the first half. Another person wasting their energy, getting worked up over nothing.

@ D-idara D-idara , No, they are not.

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
Just think of it this way:

If it weren't for the whole "play as your favorite Nintendo characters" gimmick, this game wouldn't have been where it is now.

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
While characters are a necessity, too many fans that I have encountered (and seen) treat characters as the ONLY thing that matters (which I think is the the TC's point of this discussion). For example, many badmouth the game because the roster isn't to THEIR liking. And yes, Sakurai has made some questionable choices, but too many fans I've (and maybe or maybe not others have as well) talked with (not saying it's the majority though) constantly talk about how it's not worth buying if this game isn't created towards their liking. Seriously, it's like some fans only treat this game (in particular) as if a character isn't playable, they're not worth having/the game isn't worth getting (especially since no new character was promised) .

So as a shorter response to the thread: Yes. Characters are a major part to (especially) this series. However, treating the roster as the only component to a game, just sets anybody up for failure.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I agree with this. I mean, yes character are a portion of Smash, but modes/stages/etc. are also a portion of it.

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
I agree with this. After playing the 3ds version, I'm looking forward to the Wii U version much more simply because it's so much better of an experience when you can actually see the characters.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
No one cares about game modes and content that are not characters because literally nothing outside the characters, their interactions, and the matches they create, have anywhere near the same level of replay value. Interest in game modes only really exists for the first several months to the first several years due to exposure.

Whoever is satisfied with the 3DS version because there won't be extra characters either doesn't have a wi u or isn't worth listening to.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The roster is the most important part to me, but the rest of it is definitely notable. The lack of Coin/Bonus Mode or Special Smash is actually a pretty big downside to the 3DS version.

The exclusive modes definitely will be important for the Wii U version, but having timed exclusives could heavily help sell the game too. I think both things are rather important overall.

Kain6th

Smash Ace
No one cares about game modes and content that are not characters because literally nothing outside the characters, their interactions, and the matches they create, have anywhere near the same level of replay value. Interest in game modes only really exists for the first several months to the first several years due to exposure.

Whoever is satisfied with the 3DS version because there won't be extra characters either doesn't have a wi u or isn't worth listening to.

Wow, elitist much? oh but i guess you wont be listening to me....

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I think what they mean to say is that characters are not the only 'notable' representation in game (Like what Sakurai was talking about when he mentioned he wanted to move away from the emphasis that only playable characters matter in game.) It is bigger than that- Especially with the roster at the size it is now I would rather take items, assists, stages, music, enemies, etc. over a new character to 'fill in' that universe. Things like Goomba/Paper Mario related anything/Skull Kid/Ashley/etc. could have never appeared or been referenced in Smash, but I am glad to see them even if they take a 'smaller' role for some people.

I understand that some players prefer no items, 'tourney viable' stages, and only play like that so the representation they see on a regular basis is 100% reliant on Characters, but this can even arguably be cut short because some characters have poor match-ups so they are rarely used too.

I see the people complaining about characters the most are between the above and the below circumstances- not quite a casual player, but not quite a pro competitive player as well.

The beauty of this series is that it is ever expanding fan-service, so the roster will only grow and add more and more requested characters as well as stages, items, music, etc.

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
What the **** does "1v1 No Items, Final Destination" have to do with character selection? If anything the competitive players are MORE LIKELY to buy the Wii U version since that one will have controls that aren't crap and good graphics! Did competitive players hurt your ass so much that you're projecting faults they don't have?

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
...Wow, I don't even know what to say about your generalization here. I know people who plans to skip the Wii U version because they simply don't feel like paying $60 for a game they're already content with on the 3DS. Talk about cherry picking examples.

Characters are a large incentive to buy Smash Bros to many people. Wii U version not having new characters or no huge hook would give certain people a lot less incentive to buy it, as they would be content enough with the 3DS version as is. Think about it, it's $60 or very much more if you don't have a Wii U. It doesn't even help the Wii U's case that they haven't even announced a modes outside of what the 3DS already has.

I'll buy the Wii U version regardless of the character roster since I want a more complete Smash Bros experience, and I feel the Wii U version will get me my moneys worth since I care about the stage content a lot more than most people. But I can't blame people for not wanting to spend $60 or so more for the what is essentially the same game with better visuals and different stage content.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Right now, the main appeal of the Wii U version is access to the gamecube controller and the improved list of stages. Nice to have, but not really what I'd call a major selling point. I really hope there's either some new characters or a cool mode to balance out Smash Run (which is easily the best part of Smash 4 3DS).

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Right now, the main appeal of the Wii U version is access to the gamecube controller and the improved list of stages. Nice to have, but not really what I'd call a major selling point. I really hope there's either some new characters or a cool mode to balance out Smash Run (which is easily the best part of Smash 4 3DS).
Some people prefer the console version's local multiplayer and the HD visuals as well. There has to be a cool mode or a few cool modes that are exclusive to the Wii U version.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Warning Received
What the **** does "1v1 No Items, Final Destination" have to do with character selection? If anything the competitive players are MORE LIKELY to buy the Wii U version since that one will have controls that aren't crap and good graphics! Did competitive players hurt your *** so much that you're projecting faults they don't have?
The 3DS' controls aren't crap, you might want to check the way YOU'RE playing for some crap.

JediLink

Smash Ace
Why does this thread exist? Of course characters are the most important thing to a lot of people, but I don't think that applies to anyone on Smashboards.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Why does this thread exist? Of course characters are the most important thing to a lot of people, but I don't think that applies to anyone on Smashboards.
Not true. It's the most important to me. I even said that earlier.

However, people do need a reminder that it's not the only incentive. That said, we probably don't need this thread anyway.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
Engine is the most important thing to me. Brawl had a million characters but I played it a fraction of the time I played Melee. There's really not a lot of Nintendo All-Stars to add anymore anyway, they pretty much got them all. I'd cut 10 characters for a solid game engine. I don't even play as most of them anyway, and even less in a crappy game engine.

Dyguren

Smash Journeyman
Characters sure aren't the only incentive and aren't the only detail about what Smash bros is as a game these days, but the fact is, whether you are in denial or not, that characters are and always will be the biggest incentive of all the game, therefore, the main reason for someone to get the game. You can just make a poll about what are ppl most excited about on a new smash game. I'm sure you will get a small glimpse about the reality with that very, very fast.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I agree with the OP.

I would far, far, far rather take only three to six or so characters if it meant that the game's mechanics were beautifully and artfully crafted.

So, no, character's aren't everything, and neither is 'balance'. You can have a ton of characters, shoddy 'balance', and still have a masterpiece because the few viable characters are vibrant and expressive in their own unique ways.
Heck, this happened in Melee. People can tell whose Fox is playing just by looking at the footage.
Or whose Marth, or Sheik, and so on.

So, no, while I do like to fangirl over Ganon and how buff cool swag he is (and he is), I swallow my pride and realize he's just for funsies since balance isn't perfect, and I play a good character that I think is fun instead when the time comes.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
The OP is totally correct here.
Hyrule Warriors for example has lots of characters but little lasting appeal because the game modes/stages are just the same thing over and over. Smash Bros always made doing the same thing over and over interesting. The characters are important but they are not the only thing. I just hope the 3DSified Smash Bros we are getting for WiiU is as interesting as Melee and Brawl was. If this is just Smash for 3DS in HD I'll be pretty annoyed. But at least I get the NA hordes responses to the game first so I'll know.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Characters aren't the be-all / end-all of the Smash experience, but they're a pretty big part of it. That much I daresay everybody can acknowledge.

That being said, if you like other elements of the game beyond the characters, good for you. There's plenty of nice things in the game to be appreciated, from the stages to the music, even the items and the trophies. Everybody's opinion is valid in that respect. We all play for our own personal reasons and that is okay.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
No, the characters are not the whole game, but they are a bigger part of the game, then any other fighting game out there.

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace
Characters aren't the be-all / end-all of the Smash experience, but they're a pretty big part of it. That much I daresay everybody can acknowledge.

That being said, if you like other elements of the game beyond the characters, good for you. There's plenty of nice things in the game to be appreciated, from the stages to the music, even the items and the trophies. Everybody's opinion is valid in that respect. We all play for our own personal reasons and that is okay.
Delightfully phrased. Bravo.

I think there are a couple reasons people get so worked up over characters. For one, they are, arguably, the biggest part of the game. They're what you are actually in control of, they're the extension of the physical players. We've come to expect a huge variety, and it's easy to lose sight and be very let down by characters you don't immediately understand, frustrate you, or are just missing and people really wanted. They're such a massive piece of the definition of the game.

Additionally, they're probably the longest lasting element of the game. All the different game modes and the joys those bring eventually subside into casual party play and competitive play, both of which revolve around the basic gameplay elements: the characters, the stages, and the items. A huge portion of the community only uses items occasionally for fun (or not at all,) and stages have varied acceptance, but even with that a seldom few of the total are accepted by the majority of lasting players. The characters, however, are what remain through its lifetime, and, as such, are a massive part of what makes the game what it is.

Certainly, the characters aren't everything, but they're such a massive portion, and to the people who they really matter to, it's not helpful to label them and tell them their opinion of the game is wrong. Everybody is free to like or dislike the game for their own reasons, as long as everybody can see that then there is no problem to be had.

Last edited:
Top Bottom