• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

remembering times with smash 64 as kids

Did you start playing smash when smash 64 was released?

• yes

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • no

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • kinda

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
Today I went back to play smash bros. 64 and began to remember all the fun times i had playing this game. I started this thread to talk with others who have nostalgic memories of this game. This is a general discussion about things like what characters you used,what stages you played on and when you first played the game.

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
This thread is already discussing this. Also,
This is a general discussion about things like what characters you used,what stages you played on and when you first played the game.
I don't know why you're using past tense. All of us here in the 64 forums still play this game. I, for one, play nearly everyday.

As for this discussion, I play every character and every stage in friendlies. I even play with items from time-to-time. Item combos are quite fun.

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
This thread is already discussing this. Also,

I don't know why you're using past tense. All of us here in the 64 forums still play this game. I, for one, play nearly everyday.

As for this discussion, I play every character and every stage in friendlies. I even play with items from time-to-time. Item combos are quite fun.
Well i started this thread to talk about when i played this game as a kid and when they played it as a kid. What is so bad about me talking in past tense , i played this game in the past.

Last edited:

BananaBolts

Like I said, all of us here still play this game and you posted on these forums. Typically, you should write in a way that relates the best to the target audience. We are your target audience in this case.

I also gave you a link to the discussion we already have going right now. I don't know if you actually read the Terms and Rules but listed under section 1, titled "No Spam" it clearly states, "Threads that duplicate other recent threads (within 6 months). Before posting a new thread, use the search function to see if a similar thread already exists."

I'm not trying to be mean. It's just that so many people come to this forum with very similar posts. I'm glad you're enjoying the game. Feel free to stick around and join the community if you want.

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
Like I said, all of us here still play this game and you posted on these forums. Typically, you should write in a way that relates the best to the target audience. We are your target audience in this case.

I also gave you a link to the discussion we already have going right now. I don't know if you actually read the Terms and Rules but listed under section 1, titled "No Spam" it clearly states, "Threads that duplicate other recent threads (within 6 months). Before posting a new thread, use the search function to see if a similar thread already exists."

I'm not trying to be mean. It's just that so many people come to this forum with very similar posts. I'm glad you're enjoying the game. Feel free to stick around and join the community if you want.
Ok ill close this thread.

Shears

Smash Master
Votes should be made public so we can see all the phonies who hopped on the 64 bandwagon and can segregate them from us players who were around from the beginning.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Votes should be made public so we can see all the phonies who hopped on the 64 bandwagon and can segregate them from us players who were around from the beginning.
if anything the people who were around from the beginning are the phonies, because one could accuse them of nostalgia bias. while people who didn't play it as kids must truly just love the game.

this is a good example of how humans find ways to take pride in anything. you can find a way to take pride in playing the game from the beginning, and you can take find a way pride in being new

Last edited:

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
if anything the people who were around from the beginning are the phonies, because one could accuse them of nostalgia bias. while people who didn't play it as kids must truly just love the game.

this is a good example of how humans find ways to take pride in anything. you can find a way to take pride in playing the game from the beginning, and you can take find a way pride in being new
i still hate 64s control and melee is leaps and bounds above 64 i have nostalgia around 64 but i know its not the greatest smash

BananaBolts

A large number of people here regard 64 as the best game in the series. A few people are on the fence and a handful of people here think that Melee is the superior game.

I would never say that Melee is "leaps and bounds" above 64 but it's definitely more improved in several ways. As a whole, I think 64 is better. I also hate that each successive smash games gets more and more "blind you with a million different special effects." I think that the minimal effects and simple 2D sprites in 64 have the most appeal. (best sound effects too)

If you were to disable all of the extra effects in Smash4 WiiU/3DS, the game would look like absolute TRASH and the majority of the gameplay would look even slower.

Last edited:

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
A large number of people here regard 64 as the best game in the series. A few people are on the fence and a handful of people here think that Melee is the superior game.

I would never say that Melee is "leaps and bounds" above 64 but it's definitely more improved in several ways. As a whole, I think 64 is better. I also hate that each successive smash games gets more and more "blind you with a million different special effects." I think that the minimal effects and simple 2D sprites in 64 have the most appeal. (best sound effects too)

If you were to disable all of the extra effects in Smash4 WiiU/3DS, the game would look like absolute TRASH and the majority of the gameplay would look even slower.
smash wii u is definitely a beautiful game with clear visuals how about play another smash game than smash 64 before you judge the newer games

Last edited:

BananaBolts

I have played it... I've played every game. I drove 4 hours to play Sm4sh before it was released. It has way too many visual effects for no reason. The game would look trashy without all of the blinding stuff onscreen.

Smash 64 doesn't need the extra visuals to look beautiful and clean. That's what I'm saying.

Last edited:

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
I have played it... I've played every game. I drove 4 hours to play Sm4sh before it was released. It has way too many visual effects for no reason. The game would look trashy without all of the blinding stuff onscreen.

Smash 64 doesn't need the extra visuals to look beautiful and clean. That's what I'm saying.
i think smash 64 looks less than stellar based on todays standards i like the effects in smash 4 it looks quite amazing

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman

So you are saying polygon graphics, recicled and weird sound effects and such are way better than the visual effects of Smash 4? and that you disregard the game just because of it? wow...i´ve never read something so stupid...
I liked smash 64 just because it was the first game that allowed me to play as C.Falcon but the game itself is not the best in any aspect nor the worse (brawl is the worse) just a good start
What are you ? 18 years old?

Last edited:

BananaBolts

I didn't disregard Smash 4 based on its graphics. It's objectively a bad game and it displeases me in a competitive sense. It has nice content but it falls short in many aspects and even kinda contradicts what Sakurai claims to believe.

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
I didn't disregard Smash 4 based on its graphics. It's objectively a bad game and it displeases me in a competitive sense. It has nice content but it falls short in many aspects and even kinda contradicts what Sakurai claims to believe.
Back in the day (smash 64) nobody even knew Sakurai existed...so why is he so important now?
64 is competitive? Melee was even more competitive yeah but that´s just a thing of the past now...you cant cling to something for 20 years that´s just plain wrong or are you still watching Street fighter 2 tournaments around?
I like Smash 4 gameplay its like a mix of melee and 64 at least in most aspects
But that´s just my opinion... i understand yours

Last edited:

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
Back in the day (smash 64) nobody even knew Sakurai existed...so why is he so important now?
64 is competitive? Melee was even more competitive yeah but that´s just a thing of the past now...you cant cling to something for 20 years that´s just plain wrong or are you still watching Street fighter 2 tournaments around?
64 release date: 1999
melee: 2001

eat **** 20 years my ass

BananaBolts

64 is just a better game for competitive play. Playing an old game isn't bad. That's like saying, "Why are people still speedrunning the original Super Mario game?!?!?!? It's so OLD!!!"

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
64 is just a better game for competitive play. Playing an old game isn't bad. That's like saying, "Why are people still speedrunning the original Super Mario game?!?!?!? It's so OLD!!!"
i play old games like Street 2 or alpha 3 or marvel super heroes but im not gonna say street 2 s better than ultra Street 4 that´s just bull****

@ Madao Madao would I get banned if I posted a picture of C.Falcon getting f***ed by a Slowpoke? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
wow how rude hahahaha , you can do better than that "Bananaholes"

BananaBolts

Well, it's entirely possible for an older game to be objectively better than a new game, silly goose.

I prefer "BananaButts"

Last edited:

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
the game itself is not the best in any aspect
I disagree. 64 is the best in several aspects, one of which is the combo game, overall character balance, and most fluid options out of moves (0 frames when zcancel vs lag when lcancel)

Who cares, we're playing the game now and comparing it to newer sequels

Yes, and you can go **** yourself if you're going to come in here and dismiss games and insult people based on how old the games are that they play.

You couldn't be further from the truth. Smash 4 is practically a clone of brawl and these two games are mechanically the furthest games from SSB64 in the whole series.

i play old games like Street 2 or alpha 3 or marvel super heroes but im not gonna say street 2 s better than ultra Street 4 that´s just bull****
So a game cannot be better if it's older? You have some seriously flawed reasoning and I hope that one day you look back at these posts and you realize how wrong you were.

Last edited:

Madao

Cmon guys, lets be more civil ;/ . These are just opinions anyway. No need to insult each other.
@ Madao Madao would I get banned if I posted a picture of C.Falcon getting f***ed by a Slowpoke? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Depends how bad the picture is, but don't do it ;/ .

BananaBolts

Cmon guys, lets be more civil ;/ . These are just opinions anyway. No need to insult each other.
Depends how bad the picture is, but don't do it ;/ .
I was kidding, Madao. I know not to break the rules. That's why I gave Kahnu the idea. >_>

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
i see the 64 forum is full of kids who cant express their opinions without thinking about gay things and **** or accepting others
Kahnu why dont you make an image of your ass getting penetrated by C.Falcon? thats even more appropiate and real hahahahaha

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
how about you continue to play your casual game and **** off about how much superior a game is to the other one, your basically telling everyone

**** you
i hate you
i hate your game
my game is by far superior
captain falcon

why dont you **** off please

Madao

I was kidding, Madao. I know not to break the rules. That's why I gave Kahnu the idea. >_>
LOL you got me! I was legit confused :laugh: .

Wow things escalated pretty quickly ;/ . Guess I have to take action.

Top Bottom