• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Remembering the Brawl Hype...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
With Smash 4 on the horizon, let's look back at how nutty we got over Smash Bros Brawl.

I remember almost cheering when Sonic was revealed. I would have but I found out about it in school and that would have looked awkward.

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
Every morning I'd wake up and look at the Dojo for that days update and I would get so excited over character announcements. When Olimar was first revealed I had no clue who he was but thanks to Brawl I am a huge Pikmin fan.

I remember I was getting so excited about Brawl I ended up playing Melee for about 3 hours everyday until release. XD

greatbernard

Smash Apprentice
yes, brawl's hype was in many ways unprecedented.

as great as it was, it certainly didn't meet THAT kind of hype.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
My hype for Brawl was unreal. I got the game and loved it for years. Recently that I got into competitive smash I have left it behind because Brawl is garbage for that.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'm not so sure about Brawl causing so much hype now...

At least, compared to today...

Ridley....so close....reveal...

Might be playable....might be a freaking hazard....

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
If the internet was as huge as it is today in 2000, we'd be ridiculously hyped for Melee. Just look at the graphics compared to N64.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I remember printing out Sonic's reveal pictures to show my friend who was a big fan of Sonic. He was overjoyed haha!

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
I was never as pumped up for a game as brawl.... it was the ultimate hype.
Everyday logging on the dojo to see the news...and smashboards. I think that even sakurai coudnt contain himself.

And then....the game was released..... oh god the horror.

My biggest let down evar.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I missed the Brawl hype train. Now, I'm really glad that I'm getting into Smash 4!

TMS

Smash Journeyman
Brawl's hype levels in the community were off the charts. The hype for the new games isn't even close to what once was. I kinda miss it, but expectations being less might make it more enjoyable in the long run.

Also, Sonic and Stage Builder reveal were the best Dojo updates

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Nothing will ever come close to getting me as hyped for a game as Brawl did... and as someone who's been gaming for over 15 years I've been hyped for a LOT of games.

I can still remember the exact day when Pokemon Trainer was revealed and I found out my favorite Pokemon of all time (Zard) would be playable... Can't even describe the feeling in words. If I died that day I would have died happy.

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
I just loved the rush that came from visiting the Dojo every morning before I went to school, especially during the new character and music updates. I remember when I got overexcited when they revealed Samurai Goroh as an assist trophy, when I automatically assumed he was going to be playable. It kind of reminds me of how I was expecting the Smash 4 website to be the Brawl Dojo taken to the next level, and then became seriously underwhelmed when we essentially got an official Smash Bros. Instagram page. Maybe this is just like the original Dojo, which will be upgraded once the game is closer to launch. I seriously hope so, because the Dojo was probably not just the best official website for a video game, but also Nintendo's biggest hype train in their entire history.

milligraham

Smash Apprentice
I remember constantly checking the dojo for new information and discussing it with my friends. I also remember being disappointed every time I found out that the release date was pushed back.

DashNoob

Smash Cadet
I was just so into the damn hype...hell, i left smashboards probably less than a year after brawl hit...i was just so...underwelmed by it. Yes I played it, but it never got an actual scene in my town so...it just went away.

I'm back for SMB4's hype, but I'm keeping my expectations low...even though I lost it when mega man was revealed...I cheered in my house...then I got my zen back xD

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
Back when I was 10 I was in a game store with my brother and since it was a few months before the Wii's launch they had a TV that was playing a bunch of trailers for Wii games and one of the trailers was for Brawl, I almost **** my pants with excitement. After that me and my friends would watch the trailer over and over in excitement. We didn't get net at our place until 09 so back in 06 I had to rely on bull**** rumors like "there are over 100 playable characters" etc. Over the next 2 years I imagined all the stuff that they could put in and I used gaming magazines to keep up to date with everything. By the time 2008 came around I could barely wait I put my first pre order down ever for it and got it on release day, it was also the first game I saved up for myself. Got it on release date and enjoyed it completely. I played it casually until my brother started kicking my ass in VS mode, that's when **** got serious.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Oh, the Brawl hype was awesome! The Dojo reveals everyday were awesome and became a daily ritual for me. The information we got was also more concise and Sakurai actually explained them a bit. That what really pains me about the SBB4 reveals.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Ah yes, the Brawl hype. I was excited for Brawl just like everyone else was. The updates were great! I remember hating it when the game got delayed twice. I think the first release was suppose to be in December of 2007 and then the 2nd release in February of 2008. Overall, the delays were worth it to get Sonic in the game, at least I believe that was the reason.

I remember thinking I was going to have to camp outside Toys R Us to get Brawl thinking there would be a rush for it. I did purchase a reserved copy for Brawl, but I was still thinking for some reason I would have a hard time getting it. When I got to Toys R Us there was a huge line. My friend and I were 32nd and 33rd, but the line was for people just wanting to get a Wii. The Wii was STILL hard to find in stock at many stores surprisingly even though it had been out for at least a year. My friend and I got the first copies of Brawl to my knowledge because once the store opened we didn't have to wait in a big line just for Brawl as everyone was getting Wii's.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I missed all the Brawl hype... glad I'm here for the SSb4 hype though!

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I remember the hype for Brawl.
Everyone was so excited with all the new characters announced.
Then when everyone got the game they thought they were going to have an amazing time and then-

D

Deleted member

I crapped my pants at the announcement of a new Earthbound character. (Lucas)

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
I remember that year, i got into competitive Melee awaiting for Brawl release lol
LOLOLOL close to you. I started getting serious about Brawl (from casual playing), partly because of a few personal reasons that would take pretty long to explain, and also because of Smash 4. I mean, I remember when Melee was out, but at the time I was in elementary school... and I was still a good kid who didn't play any video games. ._.
I would play at the houses of people who were ~3-5 years older than me... and being beat with Ness by the older people all the time, and wanting to go back to 64.

Ahhhhh. Off topic. Sooo off topic.

Okay. Welp. I missed the Brawl hype. :c

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I remember the hype when the debut trailer was launched. So real.
Then Ike
Then Diddy Kong
Then the Sonic trailer (I saw it, was totally shocked, watched it a 100 times, went to bed, and woke up thinking it was all just a dream, BUT IT WASN'T!!!)
The Toon Link hype
The SSE hype (BIG MISTAKE)
The Online hype (BIGGER MISTAKE)

Boy did that game suck.

That was the thing I most regret hyping, because Brawl sucks... until Brawl mods became a thing and made it better! #ProjectMelee :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom