• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Remake the Up-B so it is more like the games?

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
As most of us know, Yoshi could charge and aim his eggs in the game. Also, the eggs bounce off of walls and floors. So why can't this be in the game? It would make Egg Toss a lot more useful.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
... but you can do the same thing in here, there's just no charging animation. You can control the angle eggs throw at with the control stick, and how long you hold B determines how fast and far the egg goes.
This was in both brawl and melee, although not as good in brawl.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
... but you can do the same thing in here, there's just no charging animation. You can control the angle eggs throw at with the control stick, and how long you hold B determines how fast and far the egg goes.
This was in both brawl and melee, although not as good in brawl.
But it doesn't fire in a straight line.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Artillery > this suggestion.

The arc means it actually covers more area if they get to the same spot, it's also unique in that I think it's the only projectile that behaves as a super-variable arc.

Burning Boom

Smash Apprentice
Well, I would like, to be able to angle the egg more, maybe with a slightly increased startup. For example, I think that being able to angle it downwards, and have it bounce off of walls could be a cool option, and although it would be very situational, it could work. Question: Does the egg toss have recovery properties like in Brawl? It wasn't overly useful, but it sometimes made the difference.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Brawls egg toss recovery is much more useful than anyone gives it credit for.
As for having it ricochet off walls etc like in the games, you could do that but how many stages have walls where that can be useful? There's always the floor, but you'd have to stop and aim at the right angle to benefit from it (unless you could aim it during an ETS), by then the opponent's out of it's ricochet range. I'm not against it, but I'm perfectly happy with Brawl/Melee's egg toss personally. (Being inspired by Melee they'll probably bring that version back)

King Bee

Smash Cadet
As an admittedly non-Yoshi player, I agree the move should function more like its Yoshi's Island counterpart, as it's always been one of the sticking points keeping me from enjoying the Smash incarnation of the character. In Yoshi's island, throwing eggs around felt awesome. Yoshi launched those things like damn rockets, and watching them bounce 3 times around a room and go exactly where you intended made you feel like a boss. Right down to the sound effects, the eggs felt powerful. In contrast, the Smash eggs seem downright anemic. The extremely limited range, low velocity, and limp-wristed arc make the move look and feel, above all else, weak. It's more like throwing a balloon at someone than a projectile with real weight to it. It just contributes to the general "babyish" feeling Yoshi's had ever since Story. (That and his annoying toddler voice. Is anyone else with me on this?)

Like I said, though, I don't play Yoshi. I don't know anyone who plays Yoshi. The intricacies of his playstyle are completely lost on me. For all I know, the arcing eggs are just an objectively better move, or the straight-firing, bouncing eggs might be too broken to balance. I just know that, for me, the apparent weakness of his egg throw in comparison to Yoshi's Island is a big reason I've never been able to get into playing the character. Definitely looking forward to what the Backroom have done with him, though. Who knows? This may be the game I finally pick him up as a main.

Burning Boom

Smash Apprentice
Brawls egg toss recovery is much more useful than anyone gives it credit for.
As for having it ricochet off walls etc like in the games, you could do that but how many stages have walls where that can be useful? There's always the floor, but you'd have to stop and aim at the right angle to benefit from it (unless you could aim it during an ETS), by then the opponent's out of it's ricochet range. I'm not against it, but I'm perfectly happy with Brawl/Melee's egg toss personally. (Being inspired by Melee they'll probably bring that version back)
For how to aim it, I was thinking along the lines of aiming Lucario's recovery: Aim during start-up, that why I suggested they increase the startup, to give people a little more time in that case. So far, I think that Brawl has had the best Egg Toss, and I would be happy if they just brought that back, but the thread was on how to remake the move. I think that a 180 degrees of aiming, along with a ricochet effect might be useful, or at the very least interesting.

Vashimus

Smash Master
But it doesn't fire in a straight line.
Because that would be an incredibly silly move. I mean come on now. It'd be ROB's laser but with no recharge time, much better knockback and more angles of attack. There's a reason Sakurai designed it the way he did; the level of stage control you get from having an egg toss like the one from the games is insane.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
"see, I like yoshi's design, but his projectile doesn't act enough like a space animal laser, which needs to be FIXED POSTHASTE"

Strawhat09

Smash Journeyman
This sounds like a ridiculous suggestion. Have you not seen what he can do from the Xanadu stream/3.0 video? He's fine.

-Whiplash-

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silva-Silva
3DS FC
4527-7465-9250
IDK about in Project M, but in Smash 64 and melee I can hit anyone anywhere pretty much anywhere with the control you get on Yoshi's eggs. Just because you can't aim them well doesn't mean they're uncontrollable. In fact in those two game I'd argue that it's the most controllable projectile in those two games. If anything, what project M needs to do is make the explosion on eggs back to how they were in 64. Hell, With Yoshi's eggs I can hit behind him. you guys make me want to make a video show how amiable Yoshi's eggs really are.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
I like the egg throw he has. It feels tricky to get the hang of, so you actually feel like you've accomplished something upon learning how to aim it exactly where you want it to go. Besides, he's throwing explosions in a shell, that's awesome already.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Anyone who has tried to seriously play Yoshi in Melee will know that his egg toss is the bees-knees.

I'm not up to date with his current P:M form. Does he still have the boost from Brawl or does he drop like a rock still?

And if he does drop, can he jump after it?

Dillo64

Smash Apprentice
I like the arc, the way they fly goes over easy. If I'm taking a beating and always scrambling to get the lay up on my opponent, I like being able to poach them with slower tosses to stir things up while I shell out standard attacks, keeping them wondering which came first. It might be a rotten tactic, deviled even, but I'd be hard-boiled not to cook up a scheme to make my opponent crack under the pressure, instead of putting all my tricks in one basket.

also they are eggs

Top Bottom