• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Relatively new to Smash4 and Smash in general. Not good at the game whatsoever.

Shodeku

Smash Rookie
Im relatively new to smash competitive (really just new to 1 on 1 against another person), started playing more to get better for Smash Ultimate. Hopefully playing online as a hobby . I am not good, played 380 For Glory matches and have a win rate of 21.6%.

If anyone has any tips for getting into, and getting better at smash 4 on the wii u. Shulk tips (cause im a Shulk main), or even how to improve in general, Id love to hear them.

Also, if anyone has any stories of them first getting into Smash, id like to hear as it is nice to hear other people starting and getting better.

D

Deleted member

Shulk hmm don't spam backslash for one(common for beginners) know how to use your Mondo arts and when to use them for example if you can't catch something in the air use your jump Mondo to catch them find bad matchups and battle level 9 CPUs of that character until you find a way to beat it (helpt me with Sonic versus Bowser) watch professionals that use shulk play and add your own spin on it and ALWAYS stay focused and don't get frustrated

Shelton_Xeno

Smash Rookie
NNID
SheltonSSBFAN221
3DS FC
0919-9705-3226
Nice, another aspiring Shulk main! :b: I'm a pretty good Shulk main myself, so I'll spare you some of my tips about Shulk.

Firstly, Shulk has very good range on the majority of his attacks, mainly his aerials. He also has little lag on them (barring his back air and down air), so learn how to short hop and use his aerials.

Also, try not to be predictable. Shulk has seriously poor frame data on most of his attacks, and his fastest attack (neutral A) comes out at a decent 5 frames. He's easily punishable if you whiff his attacks, so know which attacks are safe and space well with him.

NEVER use Back slash to recover, as it can't auto-snap to the ledge. Learn his neutral B special move, Monado Arts. It is the bread and butter of any Shulk main. Know each art's advantages and disadvantages. Shulk's first monado art, Jump for instance, increases Shulk's jump height, but also lowers his defense (meaning he will take more damage).
I'll put all of the Monado Arts and its power ups below.

Jump 翔: Advantage: Higher jumps, meaning Shulk has a severely better recovery and edgeguard ability
Disadvantage: Shulk has less defense, meaning he takes more damage
Speed 疾: Advantage: Faster run, walk and air speed
Disadvantage: Shulk's attacks deal less damage, yet this flaw means it is better at combo strings, especially with his faster mobility
Shield 盾: Advantage: More weight, making Shulk the heaviest character in the game and tougher to KO. His shield is also much larger and stronger.
Disadvantage: Shulk now has inarguably the worst mobility in the game, in terms of run, walk and air speed, making him extremely easier to gimp.
Buster 斬: Advantage: Shulk now deals more damage. He also has more hitlag with his attacks, now being a threat to shields (Buster deals more damage to shields as well, making shield breaks more possible.)
Disadvantage: Shulk takes more damage as well, but not as much damage as he deals. Also he has lower knockback, but that isn't as much as a disadvantage, as it allows him to combo better.
Smash 撃: Advantage: Makes it easier to KO opponents a lot easier as it boosts the knockback of all of Shulk's moves.
Disadvantages: High risk, High reward art. Shulk weights less, making it easier for him to be KO'd as well. His attacks also do abysmal shield damage as well, making him more punishable.

There's an advanced technique called MALLC (Monado Arts Landing Lag Cancel) This is done when Shulk lands with an aerial while an art is being selected. Shulk will strike the corresponding art's pose, thus cancelling all lag of his aerial attack. This is a very good technique, reminiscent to L-Cancelling in Melee, alleviating all lag of Shulk's aerials while opening many opportunities for combos and even a shield break (with Monado Buster). Try practicing that with your Shulk. Timing is crucial, but as a user of that advanced tech, it's relatively easy to use. :laugh:

We can add each other, so I can further help you better your Shulk. I can even answer more of your potential Shulk questions. My FC is below.

Starting off competitive smash, I obviously wasn't as good, considering how I struggled to find a main. Through my constant *** whooping by other good players, I finally was able to find someone I could have fun with (Shulk obviously! XD). It was frustrating not feeling any dose of improvement, but I learned to just suck it up and just play the game (This was made extremely easier playing as Shulk.) So always remember, don't worry; results will come eventually. Just focus on fixing your mistakes (saving a replay of you losing is better than saving one of you winning.) Don't waste your energy on salty biscuits (salty players who trash talk), and have fun playing as the character you like playing.

Good luck Smashing! ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom