• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Regarding Olimar and his super armor whistle

Captain Earth

Smash Rookie
So through some For Glory science I personally believe i have more information in regards to the super armor gained while preforming Olimar's down B move, the whistle. To preface what i am going to say the first time i noticed that the whistle granted super armor was when i was playing with a friend and a move that should have killed me in the air had left me in place, this left me puzzled so after a few days i decided to research this super armor, thinking i discovered something amazing, but after looking at the Smashboards threads talking about Olimar and reading certain things about the super armor on the whistle, and the common disbelief I decided to research it and find out all i could at the moment involving the whistle. Also when it came to my research due to my lack of recording materials you will have to take everything i say as the truth and you can further investigate with my findings post haste.

Now for the fun stuff the results of my research. After playing a close game to really good Lucario, who was a really good player and beat me in the first game in a very close manner, I decided what better to do against this than to use the super armor i experienced a couple days ago. So after i was knocked off stage by Lucario and on my return this Lucario shot his fully charged Aura ball thing, also known as his neutral B, I used the whistle knowing there was no other means of escape (note: Lucario was at ~130 with this fully charged aura ball, and i was at ~120) I chose to do the whistle, and after the fully charged Aura ball thing had collided with me, i didn't move and i had taken the proper percentage as well. After that moment I realized this moves full potential, so whenever the Lucario would attempt to approach with that Side B or his or any smash attack i would time the whistle so i would get super armor and i would throw out either a Usmash or a Dsmash, and deal heavy damage or even get a kill. After having figured out how to abuse this the lucario player had left and was replaced by a worse but still mediocre Shulk player, and i decided what better to do than stand in center stage and spam the whistle. After spamming the whistle in center stage the Shulk player had got confused and decided to approach with dash attacks and that back slash, and as you would expect i didn't. Although the shulk player was able to time his attacks differently after i had continued to use this strategy of down b only Olimar, and he was able to in turn do knock back.

That research then lead me to my conclusion of how the whistle's super armor works (this may be a bit off since I don't have any means of recording frame data, or recording the first place). The whistle's super armor appears to take place from when Olimar has his head facing up while actually doing the motion of putting his mouth on the whistle once his head retreats back to its initial position however he no longer has super armor. I have not found anything about the super armor not being able to with stand a certain amount of knock back as that is as it worked in Melee. Overall through my experiences using it, it seems to have great potential if used properly as i stated in my second paragraph where i would bait attacks and use smash attacks to punish, and it seems to be easier to use the super armor if you are a good player and can pick up on your opponents attacks, although it can be easily punished by a good player if used at the improper time despite its short animation.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I don't know if anyone had gone into the exact frames of when the whistle gave super armor. I as well as some others knew it was much closer to the beginning of the whistle just from standard testing. I suppose it's nice that you gave us an animation to coincide with the time though. For the record the armor frames are shorter than they were in Brawl. This makes timing it a bit harder, but once you get the general timing down it isn't to hard.

Last edited:

IcyLight

Smash Lord
So olimar's super whistle armor DID carry over into smash 4? I tried it multiple times and couldn't get it, but then I accidentally did it and it worked once (brawl habit to use whistle a lot). I couldn't repeat it, but I haven't tested it offline really yet. Glad to know that it still exists though, I'll have to figure it out soon!

extremecoopster

Smash Cadet
NNID
kittykat2
By accident, I managed to escape Jigglypuff's Rest during this move. You should have heard the guy in-between rounds. He called me a haker and stuff. I got unfreinded... P.S. Congrats becoming a moderator Myran. I haven't noticed that until now.

Last edited:

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
I'm trying to discover the exact frame data, but I do believe it's when is about to put the whistle in his mouth when has super armor

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
I'm trying to discover the exact frame data, but I do believe it's when is about to put the whistle in his mouth when has super armor
I'm close to discover the exact frame of super armor, but it is really hard to accomplish. Soon I will publish the info.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
According to the data dump, whistle's superarmor lasts from 6~12f. Here's a low-quality gif as a visual aid (red dot indicates superarmor):

RAzul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RioFlows
3DS FC
0705-4214-5965
I was in the lab testing it out and here's an example of when it activates. I don't think anyone else has shown it so I figured I would. Hope it helps. :)

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Thank SO much for this. Is like when the head is at the back and before he gets totally in vertical alignment with his body-head or about to whistle.

You get it before I did, I didn't have videos or images to confirm my data and my time is reduced by the amount of work I get in my job xD.

But here's my assumption (I can be totally wrong so please guys help me and/or correct me).
I'm not sure if are frames, seconds, miliseconds or just whatever the measure of the movement is (I really can't/know how to explain this in english), so I'm going to using the word measure.

The entire animation last like 1 to 1.7 seconds, where uses more than 60 measure (Just guessing it because the games run at 60fps ... if this is stupid, I'm terrible sorry) to the entire animation. I say, again, there's no way I can really prove this, just my assumption.

Considering that, I think that super armor is (approximately)
1 / ( (measure / 10) + (1.5~2.5) )
Of course, this equation can be wrong.

Just as an example (using the value of 2).
60 measure -> 1/8 of the animation. 60 / 8 = 7.5 measure of super armor.

If anyone have a video software to test this info, would be awesome.

Last edited:

RAzul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RioFlows
3DS FC
0705-4214-5965
Thank SO much for this. Is like when the head is at the back and before he gets totally in vertical alignment with his body-head or about to whistle.

You get it before I did, I didn't have videos or images to confirm my data and my time is reduced by the amount of work I get in my job xD.

But here's my assumption (I can be totally wrong so please guys help me and/or correct me).
I'm not sure if are frames, seconds, miliseconds or just whatever the measure of the movement is (I really can't/know how to explain this in english), so I'm going to using the word measure.

The entire animation last like 1 to 1.7 seconds, where uses more than 60 measure (Just guessing it because the games run at 60fps ... if this is stupid, I'm terrible sorry) to the entire animation. I say, again, there's no way I can really prove this, just my assumption.

I F with your effort lol. The math got me all willy nilly haha. I'd love tested confirmation of this for sure though.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny

Well, I did post a 60fps gif. I can give a quick breakdown on it.

- Superarmor is from 6~12f. For visual cues, it starts while Olimar's head is all the way back, then ends when his head is beginning to tilt forward.
- The full whistle animation is around 40f, likely less (I didn't think end frames were necessary, so I didn't bother shielding. Leaving in a moment but I can check more formally when I get home.)
- In terms of seconds, Whistle lasts for ~0.67s and has super armor for the range of 0.1-0.2s

RAzul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RioFlows
3DS FC
0705-4214-5965
Well, I did post a 60fps gif. I can give a quick breakdown on it.

- Superarmor is from 6~12f. For visual cues, it starts while Olimar's head is all the way back, then ends when his head is beginning to tilt forward.
- The full whistle animation is around 40f, likely less (I didn't think end frames were necessary, so I didn't bother shielding. Leaving in a moment but I can check more formally when I get home.)
- In terms of seconds, Whistle lasts for ~0.67s and has super armor for the range of 0.1-0.2s
Of course, I didn't mean for your gif to be overlooked but excellent detail. Thank you!

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
I'm sorry about my english. I didn't find another way of express what I meant.

So anyway this are excellent news, I'm still trying to timing properly to whistle.

Thanks for your correction @ Lavani Lavani and sorry for being so confusing with the maths @ RAzul RAzul xD.

RAzul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RioFlows
3DS FC
0705-4214-5965
I'm sorry about my english. I didn't find another way of express what I meant.

So anyway this are excellent news, I'm still trying to timing properly to whistle.

Thanks for your correction @ Lavani Lavani and sorry for being so confusing with the maths @ RAzul RAzul xD.
Lol! All good bro.

Top Bottom