• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Regarding Needle Pivoting

Ajax615

Smash Apprentice
The two main questions I have would really help me out.

1.) Can needle pivoting truly be effective in a fast paced battle? I love fighting MK's and Foxes but I cant seem to pull off the needle pivoting at the right time since things are so fast paced. any tips?

2.) Just for fun but what buttons do ya'll use (Gimpy lol) to needle pivot? Im deciding on either the Z button or the right trigger.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
you just mean for turn around needle?

i use b (lul) and r - i only use r to cancel moves like this - habbit from melee - made it easier to shield/airdodge after canceling a needle charge/giant punch charge/whatever else without having to fully release then press the button. l for everything else - shield/roll/airdodge/whatever else you can use l for.

yep.

it's flashy - has uses (ledgedrop turn around fair is sooooo good because of the low knockback and your tether edgehog) but it's not really entirely critical.

causes a lot of sds if you dont have it down

Ajax615

Smash Apprentice
Thank you so much, its really been helpful. lol I murdered a few links and ZSS's with that turn around f air. lol

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
you're holding a direction for too long and pressing b too early - tap the control stick and press b after its returned to the neutral position. you can do the flick to turn around DURING a previous attack (as long as you're in the tail end)

but hey - thats "turn around b moves" 101

tha_carter

Smash Ace
An easier way to do an reverse aerial-needle is to SLIGHTLY tilt in the opposite direction before pressing B.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
that only makes messing it up easier lol

its possible to do it that way but if you don't want to chain every other time just tap and then press b

too easy to make a mistake and overdo your control stick on accident - especially while in a match that matters because you'll be trying to speed yourself up.

Ajax615

Smash Apprentice
I initially want to see needle pivoting being extremely useful in sheiks meta game one day.

I studied your training video for 2 hours and trained for 5 hours straight to get the needle pivoting and needle boosting down. combos are so fun and shield grabbing over and over is epic. ha thanks gimpy. lol people are considering sheik broken after some of the moves ive done.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
i haven't really tried needle pivoting...I am aware of "turn around b moves" though like Yoshi's Reverse Aerial Egg Lay, with that theres a complete reverse of momentum so he can actually jump far off stage behind recovering enemy and use RAEL to get the enemy in an egg and help get back to the stage.
needle pivoting is similar to that?

also i think its better to do the direction RIGHT AFTER pressing B so if u mess up ur less likely to accidentaly do side special (which can cause suicides)

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
this isn't actually called "needle pivoting" as far as i'm aware - it's just turn around needle cancels or b reversal cancel or something...

misleading i say misleading

Ajax615

Smash Apprentice
this isn't actually called "needle pivoting" as far as i'm aware - it's just turn around needle cancels or b reversal cancel or something...

misleading i say misleading
lol but i could have sworn I had seen you type needle pivoting, if not then I just made a new technique name! lol. Gimpy btw can I please fight you online sometime, lol the Friend Finder seems to be pooping on me lol.

Lol I just wanna copy a few techniques lol. Ill unleash the inner gates of my sheik lee :chuckle:. j/p please dont ban!!

Top Bottom