• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Regaining Yoshi's Strength's from Melee

BigglesWorth

Smash Apprentice
There are a lot of things done really well for Yoshi in PM. His down throw, his brawl animations, and his recovery is the most notable. Something still felt hollow when playing him in PM: the egg edge cancels weren't quite the same and the juggles didn't feel quite as potent. I realize there are a few small things that gave Yoshi a lot of options to juggle and I don't quite feel the power behind it in PM. He has more combos over all but I was wondering why a few key features were missing that helps his Melee counterpart.

The 3 differences are:

1) Falling Speed: This is the biggest one. Yoshi is much more floaty in PM. The Uair racks feel a lot less than what were because of the weird timing for fast falling them. Increasing Yoshi's falling speed a bit would allow him to Egg Edge Cancel and Juggle a lot more efficiently. If it be beter reverted to Melee's then Yoshi would retain of a lot of his strengths from every game.

2) A True Short Throw: Not all important but makes things better. In Melee, yoshi had about 5 to 6 different trajectories you could send his egg. While PM has some variety, it lacks one of the more useful options: the short egg toss. You could click the up b quick enough to create an egg that literally grazed the front of yoshi's model. The short throw in PM is a two squares in front him. While a forward throw is useful. The short throw gives Yoshi well timed bigger hitboxes to cover platform space with, another trixy way to zone an opponent, and a key feature to mixup his juggles (djc short egg rather than uair).

3) Rising Speed on the Double Jump: simply for the fact that egg edge cancels aren't quite as fast and fluid it feels.

These things may seem little but they work together to give Yoshi that visceral, vibrant combo tosser that he felt like in Melee and as well as gave him a great platform game. Without these Yoshi still feels incomplete. Everything else is wonderful. Any thoughts? Agree or Disagree? Want me to shut up? Let me know.

Edit: Added the 3rd point about rising speed for ECEs.

Last edited:

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
Edge cancelled eggs do feel much easier to do in Melee than in PM.

Last edited:

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
I knew there was a reason I've been avoiding doing ECEs.

These are some possibly good points, but I'd like to hear what someone from PMBR has to say about them. Why these things are the way they are, to be more specific.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
I knew there was a reason I've been avoiding doing ECEs.

These are some possibly good points, but I'd like to hear what someone from PMBR has to say about them. Why these things are the way they are, to be more specific.
Probable engine related. Eggs are slower than Melee's and its a pretty noticeable difference between the two.

Top Bottom