• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reflected Bananas

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
So recently my friend has been playing with Falco a lot, and just about every time I throw a banana he throws his reflector shield and takes control of it. My friend that uses Pit also has started doing that sometimes using his shield.

What is the best way to fight against characters like this? When they can so easily take control of the bananas you throw, what is the best course of action? Don't use them as much? Throw them straight down, or otherwise not at the opponent? Anyone have some experience here in dealing with these kinds of opponents?

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I havnt dealt with it much, so my advise might not be so great. Id say throw it in front of them, but far enough away from them that you would get to the banana first if you both ran. You can then either try to hit him into the banana, or run at it yourself to grab it and quick throw. If you go with the run-->quick throw, or even that gliding toss thing they were talking about, you should be close enough to at least ftilt them if they reflect, dodge, or catch the banana.

I actually have to practice that gliding toss thing with diddy. Never done it before, and this could be one of those few situational moments where it would prove useful

Roa33

Smash Rookie
I have found that by putting one bannana near Diddy on the ground, and holding the second or placing it close to the first usually works well for a few reasons. The first banana will kinda be a distraction in a way so that if they jump over it Diddy can simple throw the second up at them then procede with grabbing the one they jumped over to do some what of a banana combo by continuesly throwing them then doing attacks to follow. If the opponent decides to for what ever reason slip on the first banana, then procede by throwing the second banana, or if you placed the second near the first they will slip twice(since they can't reflect at the moment seeing how they slipped and all) and continue with the attack.

But to be simple about the whole situation you really just have to catch the opponent off guard by attacking them in some way and throwing them when you see the good opportunity.

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I guess I've been too predictable in the way I use bananas. They're all about mindgames anyway... so using them the same way all the time will eventually stop working. :)

I've been watching some good Diddy vids, and have been learning how to use them more effectively. I've also been experimenting with new ways to pull them out and throw them.

supergimp112

Smash Rookie
no real trick or strategy is necessary...

the bananas are "usable" by whoever throws them last. i.e. if you throw a banana and it gets reflected - stand near the banana and pick it back up and throw and it should be yours again.

the bananas themselves are double-edged...bananas?/swords? whatever. you know what i mean. i have a buddy who is EXTREMELY good at catchin incoming items. but even with that said they are still very spammable.

the_lilboy_from_onett

Smash Rookie
U Need To Wait Till There Really Close Then Throw It.... Because They Will Be To Worried About Ur Attacks They Will For Gt The Bananas

pesticide

Smash Lord
i think u shuold just throw the bananas on the ground then. that way, u can use them for space control so that ur opponent cant roll away or run at you and try to attack as easily. and then if they dont keep up w/ u, then just cartwheel over a banana and throw it at them to start a combo (if they forget to block it)

I<3Shiek

Smash Apprentice
the bananas are "usable" by whoever throws them last. i.e. if you throw a banana and it gets reflected - stand near the banana and pick it back up and throw and it should be yours again.

the bananas themselves are double-edged...bananas?/swords? whatever. you know what i mean. i have a buddy who is EXTREMELY good at catchin incoming items. but even with that said they are still very spammable.
The problem is that it takes NOTHING to catch items in Brawl, it's so easy it's horrible.

I would say to keep one banana in your hand... Throw it at them, if they go to reflect it, dash attack the banana into them, then up toss the banana, follow it up with a SH B-Air, drop, before touching the ground, midair dodge, get the banana, and keep going.

Might be repetitive, and complicated, but it will work, I guarantee.

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
i think u shuold just throw the bananas on the ground then. that way, u can use them for space control so that ur opponent cant roll away or run at you and try to attack as easily. and then if they dont keep up w/ u, then just cartwheel over a banana and throw it at them to start a combo (if they forget to block it)
Yeah, I've been experimenting with them. Throwing them in different directions, grabbing one and holding onto it for a few seconds before throwing it, and such. Though throwing them straight onto the ground seems to be the safest way to use them when fighting characters that can reflect well (and the players are good at using the reflections). Can still be quite effective, and lead to some nice combos.

The biggest thing though, is just to be unpredictable with them. If you keep using the bananas the same way, eventually your opponents will catch on. :)

Top Bottom