• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reflect it back at them !

Powda

Smash Apprentice
So I made a comment in another thread about our bspecial being reflected back at us and why don't we just reflect it again back at them? So I started playing around with it and it's actually fairly easy in fact I discovered something about DDD I never knew. When Gordo is reflected back at me if I just jab, DDD will catch it and throw it back at them and it hits even harder! Go ahed and play with it, it's easy in for glory because everyone is used to knocking it back at us. Just throw and immediately start tapping A.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I will have to try this. Would the standard jab be safer then the dash attack?

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I haven't fully researched our reflect options yet in Dead Man's Volley situations (I was going to make a thread about this myself in a day or two but welp), but here's some stuff to keep in mind:
  • Gordo's launch angle when hit is based on its own trajectory, not the attack you hit it with. Utilt/Usmash will send it flying back at the same angles as dtilt/dsmash.
  • The attack's knockback, however, does affect Gordo's speed and damage/knockback. An ftilt-reflected Gordo won't pack much punch whereas a smash/downB reflected Gordo will be stronger than any normally thrown one.
  • In no particular order, utilt, sh bair, and jab seem like the ideal moves to hit Gordo back with.
  • Don't try to use ftilt or dtilt to reflect the Gordo; ftilt can't reflect it aside from the last hit, dtilt's hitbox isn't very good at hitting it and you're likely to lose the trade.
  • DownB sends Gordo flying at a high speed and eases prediction by letting you hold the charge, but is a poor choice for a reaction reflect and is also rather punishable if your opponent simply doesn't reflect the Gordo.
  • Pressing A, sideB (any B move?), or R at a certain distance will grab the Gordo and throw it again. You can't angle it on the rethrow, and I'm not fully sure on the properties of it yet, but unless it's based on the Gordo's speed/strength before you grab it it seems to be the worst reflect option both in terms of strength and speed, as well as the fact that Dedede will prioritize the grab over actions like airdodging, thus committing him to a long and vulnerable animation instead of the desired defensive one.
  • Strangely, weak hit nair and airdodge will make the Gordo stick to Dedede's underside until the animation ends, after which it will harmlessly fall off him and bounce in place. The Gordo has no hitbox during this, but opponents can still hit it, so be wary not to set yourself up to be combo'd by it.
  • You can eat your Gordo. No I am not making this up.

Last edited:

Powda

Smash Apprentice
I haven't fully researched our reflect options yet in Dead Man's Volley situations (I was going to make a thread about this myself in a day or two but welp), but here's some stuff to keep in mind:
  • Gordo's launch angle when hit is based on its own trajectory, not the attack you hit it with. Utilt/Usmash will send it flying back at the same angles as dtilt/dsmash.
  • The attack's knockback, however, does affect Gordo's speed and damage/knockback. An ftilt-reflected Gordo won't pack much punch whereas a smash/downB reflected Gordo will be stronger than any normally thrown one.
  • In no particular order, utilt, sh bair, and jab seem like the ideal moves to hit Gordo back with.
  • Don't try to use ftilt or dtilt to reflect the Gordo; ftilt can't reflect it aside from the last hit, dtilt's hitbox isn't very good at hitting it and you're likely to lose the trade.
  • DownB sends Gordo flying at a high speed and eases prediction by letting you hold the charge, but is a poor choice for a reaction reflect and is also rather punishable if your opponent simply doesn't reflect the Gordo.
  • Pressing A, sideB (any B move?), or R will grab the Gordo and throw it again. You can't angle it on the rethrow, and I'm not fully sure on the properties of it yet, but unless it's based on the Gordo's speed/strength before you grab it it seems to be the worst reflect option both in terms of strength and speed, as well as the fact that Dedede will prioritize the grab over actions like airdodging, thus committing him to a long and vulnerable animation instead of the desired defensive one.
  • Strangely, weak hit nair and airdodge will make the Gordo stick to Dedede's underside until the animation ends, after which it will harmlessly fall off him and bounce in place. The Gordo has no hitbox during this, but opponents can still hit it, so be wary not to set yourself up to be combo'd by it.
  • You can eat your Gordo. No I am not making this up.
Wow Thank you for this research ! If Jab and Bair can reflect, we can really start to annoy opponents like mario. Glad there are DDDs out there still doing research on his moves.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I can confirm this is hilarous to use against people who think they are so clever waiting for the Gordo to bounce it back. I'm using the Utilt for the reflect, still not confident enough to do a RAR Bair quick enough without a GC controller.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
I didn't know it was that easy! I always just quickly shielded the traitorous gordo.

Will definitely start learning and mastering this. Thank you!

Nick Fury

Smash Rookie
NNID
InstanceOfFury
I can say that this works most of the time, but there is still that glitch where the gordo can get stuck to you, as funny as that is, it takes away part of D3s game. Hopefully that glitch will get patched soon then it will be more fun to play tennis with the gordos.

Top Bottom