• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reduce Slingshot Ending Lag

Boingloing

Smash Rookie
NNID
Boingloing
Hello smashboards! I think this is my first post. I'm new to competitive sm4sh and I am trying to get good with Villager. I checked the FAQ, so I don't think this post is against the rules, but I have a strong feeling that the question I am about to ask is redundant. I'm about to head out for a while and I wanted to ask while it was still on my mind.

I noticed while messing around today that villy's slingshot ending lag is bad, but if you go right into a dash or dash dance as you land, the lag is greatly reduced. Certainly people know about this? I was trying to look up videos really quickly before I leave but I didn't really see it being utilized much in the small few I glanced at. I think it's a useful mechanic for comboing fairs.

Sorry if this is all nonsense, I'm in a bit of a hurry.

Moosseff

Smash Apprentice
Do you think its possible to post a video? I learn better visually :/

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
Slingshot (BAir) has no end lag if you rising SH BAir ff.
Slingshot (FAir) has no end lag if you rising SH FAir --delay by a few frames-- FF.
However, reducing the lag of, say a BAir that was done at its lowest point to hit Pika is unheard of I believe? Can you record a video of this? Anything will do.

Boingloing

Smash Rookie
NNID
Boingloing
Slingshot (BAir) has no end lag if you rising SH BAir ff.
Slingshot (FAir) has no end lag if you rising SH FAir --delay by a few frames-- FF.
However, reducing the lag of, say a BAir that was done at its lowest point to hit Pika is unheard of I believe? Can you record a video of this? Anything will do.

Hm, I'll look into this, but it seems like what I was already talking about is already a known thing so I doubt I'm about to find any new developments :p

Edit: so far I haven't been able to cancel the lag on a low hitting fair/bair, sorry if I got anyone's hopes up :(

Last edited:

Boingloing

Smash Rookie
NNID
Boingloing
Ok so I tried to make a video demonstrating myself experimenting a little bit. My execution and capture card are both pretty poor, here :p.

I don't think I have discovered anything new based on what Mtn64 has said. I managed to get some lagless landings on fast falling fairs but I think they were rising fairs. I encourage anyone to prove me wrong.

Again, what I am trying to do here is, right as I land, I go into a dash dance and then jump again. Kinda gives this slippery feel to doing repeated fairs/bairs

Last edited:

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
That's not new, and you don't need the dash.
The execution for an auto cancelled BAir is
Short Hop --> immediately BAir --> immediately Fast fall
The execution for fair is
Short Hop -> Immediately FAir --> wait a few frames --> fastfall.
There's no endlag at all off a rising shorthop bair/fair. The dash is irrelevant lmao.

EDIT: If you delay the FAir or BAir off the shorthop, you can still autocancel it, just not as early.
Was hoping this was in terms of low hitting fair/bair, but it turns out you were talking about these..

Last edited:

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
It looks like you might be another victim of the placebo effect Boingloing. What's happening is that fair and bair end so quickly that you can do them in a shorthop and still have time to revert to your normal airborne state before you land and not incur any more landing lag than usual. It doesn't have anything to do with what you do when you land. Any aerial that can do this is called autocanceling, and Villagers fair and bair both fall into this category. As long as you perform the move quickly enough, you can even fastfall and still get no additional lag on landing.

But thanks for sharing anyway, welcome to the forums and i hope you have a long and fun career playjng Villger competitively =).

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
It looks like you might be another victim of the placebo effect Boingloing. What's happening is that fair and bair end so quickly that you can do them in a shorthop and still have time to revert to your normal airborne state before you land and not incur any more landing lag than usual. It doesn't have anything to do with what you do when you land. Any aerial that can do this is called autocanceling, and Villagers fair and bair both fall into this category. As long as you perform the move quickly enough, you can even fastfall and still get no additional lag on landing.

But thanks for sharing anyway, welcome to the forums and i hope you have a long and fun career playjng Villger competitively =).
Actually, wouldn't placebo be, if he knew about autoncancelling, but was talking about how he feels Villy has a better auto-cancel window? XP

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
I would call placebo anytime someone links a cause and effect but it turns out there was no cause and the effect was only in their head.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I would call placebo anytime someone links a cause and effect but it turns out there was no cause and the effect was only in their head.
It's not in his head tho. He just didnt know that it was already a thing that was discovered. xD

Top Bottom