• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Red Shirt KRT's Moonwalk/Stickywalk/Reverse Moonwalk Guide

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I don't play Link/YL at all, I main Captain Falcon, and I posted this in the C Falcon boards first. Since I know Link/YL are the second best at moonwalking I thought I would post this here as well to help with this so here it is.

Silent Wolf's Tech Video Added!

Red Shirt KRT's Moonwalking, Stickywalking, and Reverse Moonwalking Guide

No one has really explained moonwalking, stickywalking, or reverse moonwalking thoroughly so I thought that I would go for it, and I was tired of explaining this to all the noobs who keep making stupid posts about this.

If someone wants to use this guide somewhere else just give credit to me, Red Shirt KRT.

Moonwalking
Moonwalking is when your character slides across the ground backwards while in the running animation.

Procedure
Step 1: First trigger the dash animation by smashing the control stick to the right or left.

Step 2: Next you must move the control stick from the dash position all the way to the opposite side. The trick is that you must not go through the center.

Applications
Many people don't think moonwalking is useless. Moonwalking isn't useless, but it isn't one of the most useful techniques. Moonwalking is mostly used for mindgames just to mix things up and make Captain Falcon's game more random than it already is. Edgehogging is another one of its uses. It is also a great way to gain momentum for a jump without the opponent realizing what you are doing.

Doing a bair out of a moonwalk greatly increases the distance covered, because you normally can't be at fullspeed traveling backwards.

This Video is great for showing how to use the moonwalk to edgehog and shows some other great uses.

NEW!
This Video shows some of the flashy things you can do if you get good enough at moonwalking.

Notes
A lot of people get confused on what exactly cause you to moonwalk the farthest. There is no way you can moonwalk "faster" just farther.

What determines how far you moonwalk, is how fast you move the control stick from one side of the control stick to the other without going through the center. If you go through the center of the control stick, then you will just dash dance.

Stickywalking (A.K.A. Stupid Dash, Crawling)
Stickywalking is when your character is doing the run animation, but you can vary the speed at which they run.

Procedure
Step 1: First trigger the dash animation by smashing the control stick to the left or right.

Step 2: Next you may do one of the following things to do the stickywalk. Number 1 is easier in my opinion, but both work.
1) Slide the control stick down or up towards straight up or striaght down.
2) Slide the control stick back towards the center position

Applications
Stickywalking is mainly used for mindgames. It can be done anytime after you are in the running animation. Lets say when you are just about to get in marth's fsmash range and you slow your run speed down and he misses, you can easily punish him for this. Mindgames is the only use I know of for stickywalking.

Notes
To vary the speed at which you run it is determined by how far you tilt the control stick. All the way to the right/left will have you run at normal run speed. The closer you get to the bottom/top/center depending on which method you use, the slower you will run. If you tilt to far, and go all the way to the top/bottom/center you will jump/crouch/walk depending on which method you use.

Reverse Moonwalking
Reverse Moonwalking is when your character dashes out of the back end of a moonwalk.

Procedure
Step 1: First trigger the dash animation by smashing the control stick to the right or left.

Step 2: Next you must move the control stick from the dash position all the way to the opposite side. The trick is that you must not go through the center.

Step 3: Then you smash the control stick to the opposite side, and then back to where you started, like you are dash dancing.

Applications
This actually is one of the better forms of moonwalking, it gives you many more options once you already know how to moonwalk. One of the biggest things you can use this for is if you moonwalk a lot, and people know that you moonwalk a lot. Not many people know about this move and if you spring one of these out of know where it will definitely catch your opponent off guard.

Here is my diagram that will help you to visualize/understand what moonwalking and stickywalking are all about.

External Links

Good Moonwalking Information

Moonwalking Video

Special Thanks

Masterwumpus - Found some great Moonwalking information

Hylianlord - Created a great Moonwalking video

Magus420 - Taught me a few good things about Stickywalking

Vall3y - Created the original Moonwalk Diagram, Thanks.

TheManaLord - Provided lots of little tidbits.

Silent Wolf - Shows what a real moonwalker can do in his video.

If anyone has any questions or anything important they feel I should add then let me know and I will update this.

Laijin

Smash Hero
I hope you know this is'nt the Captain Falcon forum.

Although Young Link CAN moonwalk, its about as useful to him as Ness's up-smash is useful to him. He can do it, but you don't wanna do it. Its not even flashy with Young Link. He can't pull off any of the cool stuff Falcon can with his Moonwalk.

So making this thread is about as pointless as giving making Pichu your new main to fight Marths because you can't be beat Marth players for some reason.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
Lol lai that wasn't a very good analogy :)

Giggidax

Smash Ace
LMAO laijin, that was funny about the pichu. but its sort of true. im impressed and i appreciate that Red Shirt took the time to create this guide, but moonwalking with young link will just about get u nowhere.

ive used it a couple of times but its not something i would want to master and use in every match.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I hope you know this is'nt the Captain Falcon forum.

Red Shirt KRT said:
I don't play Link/YL at all, I main Captain Falcon, and I posted this in the C Falcon boards first. Since I know Link/YL are the second best at moonwalking I thought I would post this here as well to help with this so here it is.

I posted this in the falcon forums first and they thought it might be useful for Link/YL since he is the only other character with a good moonwalk.

Read before you shoot your mouth off please

Giggidax

Smash Ace
well the guide is very good and all. im glad u have earned acknowledgment with this guide in the CFalcon boards too. but i guess i, of the Ylink forums, applaud u as well lol!

ShiroiKen

Smash Apprentice
It's useful to those who don't know about this, and clarify things.

A nice guide, but I'll continue not-using moonwalk in matches.

Top Bottom