• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recovery?

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Been playing some high level opponents like Boss and Logic lately, and one of the big problems I'm having is recovering back to neutral. If I get knocked off stage, getting back to the ledge is no problem. It's getting on stage that is giving me trouble. Their timing is excellent, and they consistently punish the one frame of vulnerability in the neutral get up animation. Rolling just gets me grabbed, and even if a jump from the ledge is successful, I have just as much trouble landing safely. How can we deal with fast opponents like that?

Recovering from above also seems to be a problem since Mega's air speed isn't anything special. I've had some success using Leaf Shield to interrupt smashes, but a lot of the time, my opponent will just wait below me with their shield up so that they can grab me out of it as soon as I land. It seems like there should be more ways to land safely. Rush can help you mix things up, but since it just pops you up, it doesn't actually help you recover against all but the slowest characters. Maybe there is a way to mix up Metal Blade and Hard Knuckle Rush cancels?

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Been playing some high level opponents like Boss and Logic lately, and one of the big problems I'm having is recovering back to neutral. If I get knocked off stage, getting back to the ledge is no problem. It's getting on stage that is giving me trouble. Their timing is excellent, and they consistently punish the one frame of vulnerability in the neutral get up animation. Rolling just gets me grabbed, and even if a jump from the ledge is successful, I have just as much trouble landing safely. How can we deal with fast opponents like that?

Recovering from above also seems to be a problem since Mega's air speed isn't anything special. I've had some success using Leaf Shield to interrupt smashes, but a lot of the time, my opponent will just wait below me with their shield up so that they can grab me out of it as soon as I land. It seems like there should be more ways to land safely. Rush can help you mix things up, but since it just pops you up, it doesn't actually help you recover against all but the slowest characters. Maybe there is a way to mix up Metal Blade and Hard Knuckle Rush cancels?
On recovering from above, I like using using either Metal Blade or Leaf Shield b-reverses to fake people out. You can fast fall, then throw a Metal Blade or activate Leaf Shield on reaction to switch back to normal fall speed and "bounce" away from juggle attempts. Leaf Shield is nice for this because you can time it so that the leaf hitboxes will become active as you touch down on the ground, giving you some cover against follow up attacks.

I don't have great advice against high level players at the ledge, as that's a tough situation. One option is to drop down and wall jump to fake them out and get them to commit to an attack you can punish with pellets or metal blade. Insta-wall jumping off the ledge is an option, too, and one that conserves your double jump. A well timed insta-wall jumped or double jumped Metal Blade can be effective and combo into a grab or utilt, though this is extremely risky against high level players, as if they successfully challenge you and knock you away from the stage without your double jump, you're toast. You can also use Crash Bomber to give yourself some cover: attach it to the stage during your recovery, then time your get-up so that it explodes while your have invincibility frames. That way, even if your opponent reads you and hits you during your vulnerability frame on get-up, you'll both get blown back onto the stage by the bomb.

Last edited:

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
You could always try a scar jump bair. While holding the ledge, gently pull the stick back far enough to ledge drop, but only just barely, then smash back toward the stage. You'll instant wall jump and be able to bair them.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I didn't know you can b-reverse Leaf Shield. I also didn't know about that wall kick tech. I'll give both a shot. Maybe another tactic could be to footstool with the Leaf Shield if you see they are going for the grab.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I like falling off ledge (away from stage not down) and tossing MB at them there landing back on ledge. Mega doesn't have much problem getting back to the ledge so you can do that several times. Then it will make them try to come out and hit you and then you can get back onstage

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I played around in the lab a bit yesterday, and the scar jump bair seems extremely unsafe. Maybe it would work against jabbers like Falcon?

@ Red Shirt KRT Red Shirt KRT I've done this too, but it's not very good. If you go back to the ledge, your invulnerability is gone, and the MB won't stun the opponent long enough to prevent a dTilt or dSmash. I'd actually prefer CB for this kind of tactic, and always try to throw one out before using Rush.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Hello, I do not have experience with high level play, but what about

Ledge drop > uair if being chased > rush > DJ and airdodge, MB, dair back?

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
U air from below can work sometimes off they are right on the ledge. Sometimes with stages that have slanted edges the tornado can hit the bottom and not go anywhere

Top Bottom