• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recovery Options

Baldrdash

Smash Rookie
Since this appears to be Ness' biggest weakness, Let's brain storm alternate option for getting back from either offstage or from the ledge. what do you think his best options are?

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
Since this appears to be Ness' biggest weakness, Let's brain storm alternate option for getting back from either offstage or from the ledge. what do you think his best options are?
I will personally do an upwards air dodge to get on the stage, since that seems to work when the opponent isn't expecting it, otherwise I'll do the PKT2 sideways on the stage try to hit my opponent.

I am terrible so DO judge me.

:ness:

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
Air dodging is a good way to do it. Mix up recovering high and recovering low. Mix up going for the ledge and aiming at the opponent on stage (when recovering from above the stage). In addition, if you are going to use PKT2 to recover, make sure you start the PKT far away from the stage, like...between max-range sweetspot and easy punish. The reason Ness's recovery is so bad is (much to my frustration) that you can't ledge cancel PKT2 on a platform without going at an obscene and non-practical angle.

Earthboundy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Earthboundy
3DS FC
0173-1290-2436
Here's how I recover with Ness: I don't.

All joking aside, I really using Ness' aerial mobility to go somewhat deep. Since people usually think Ness' up b doesn't send him that far (about as far as Fire Fox iirc). they usually don't go out to challenge it. Since I can angle pretty decently I can usually make it back.

PSI-Apocalypse

Smash Apprentice
Basically your options are depending on the character that's edgeguarding you. For example, airdodge works on slow characters, but it won't work on fast and long-ranged characters, fox could easily shine you to your dead, also, marth can cover almost all of the times you airdodge because of his range and his fast attacks. I prefer mixing up my recovery, as Double Helix said, sometimes is better to airdodge and sometimes is better to recover with PKT2. And for the ledge you can invincible Nair, invincible Fair and also do an invincible ledgedash, with the correct timing. Try mixing those in order to get more unpredictable. Also immediately pressing A after you hog the ledge can make (under 100% of damage) an invincible ledge attack. Hope it was helpful for you :D

EmptyNess

Smash Cadet
Basically your options are depending on the character that's edgeguarding you. For example, airdodge works on slow characters, but it won't work on fast and long-ranged characters, fox could easily shine you to your dead, also, marth can cover almost all of the times you airdodge because of his range and his fast attacks. I prefer mixing up my recovery, as Double Helix said, sometimes is better to airdodge and sometimes is better to recover with PKT2. And for the ledge you can invincible Nair, invincible Fair and also do an invincible ledgedash, with the correct timing. Try mixing those in order to get more unpredictable. Also immediately pressing A after you hog the ledge can make (under 100% of damage) an invincible ledge attack. Hope it was helpful for you :D
how useful is ness's ledge dash?

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
how useful is ness's ledge dash?
Extremely. You just need to perform it 100%, and I MEAN 100%, of the time or else you die or get hit. I've done (seemingly) frame perfect ledge dash with DJC dair into turnaround sh bair. Opponent said it didn't even look like i landed at all, just sh'd from ledge. (i think it was a laggy setup of course) Ledge dash utilt/ftilt is probably what i would try for.

Last edited:

EmptyNess

Smash Cadet
Extremely. You just need to perform it 100%, and I MEAN 100%, of the time or else you die or get hit. I've done (seemingly) frame perfect ledge dash with DJC dair into turnaround sh bair. Opponent said it didn't even look like i landed at all, just sh'd from ledge. (i think it was a laggy setup of course) Ledge dash utilt/ftilt is probably what i would try for.
I've been having a growing interest in applications of universal tech for Ness, thanks for your input

Top Bottom