• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recovery options?

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Hey all.. Just curious as to what other Pac-"Mains" (you like that?) are using to recover safely.

I only ask because there are times when I find myself trying to get on back on the stage by someone applying a lot of ledge pressure. (Shield/punish on get up attack. Shield/Punish on stand up attack etc)

Should we be recovering high with side b? drop down charge up to bell and use that to scare them to move away? What is everyone doing?

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Getting to the ledge is not an issue.

Its what do I do when I am at the ledge to get back on the stage is what I am having issues with and only with people who know how to ledge guard well.. I was just testing actually, to someone who is shielding at ledge, get up (not attack) and jsut up b instantly. It has been working pretty well and it hits them in the process.

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
That's an issue most characters seem to have. You'll just have to mix it up. With Pac-Man having, like, the worst grab in the game, just normally getting up is the last option I'd consider.

But you can also just throw fruit then recover high.

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
That's an issue most characters seem to have. You'll just have to mix it up. With Pac-Man having, like, the worst grab in the game, just normally getting up is the last option I'd consider.

But you can also just throw fruit then recover high.
OKay good so its not me. then

I also heard that when you get straight up your opponent only has like 2 frames to punish you before you can shield or jump..

SO the trampoline might not be an awful idea. Will test on ladder tonight.

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
OKay good so its not me. then

I also heard that when you get straight up your opponent only has like 2 frames to punish you before you can shield or jump..

SO the trampoline might not be an awful idea. Will test on ladder tonight.
You can let go of ledge, jump and Up-B very quickly. Up-B cannot be blocked by shield, just by the very nature of the attack. You can also jump up and immediately hydrant. Other options would be to let go and up-air which should poke if they are standing on ledge with their shield up.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I actually thought the trampoline idea was brilliant. I use it all the time, or I throw galaxians to force them to shield. But what do you use to get out of charizard flamethrower spam at the ledge? The melon,galaxian, bell, and key travel through it

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
I actually thought the trampoline idea was brilliant. I use it all the time, or I throw galaxians to force them to shield. But what do you use to get out of charizard flamethrower spam at the ledge? The melon,galaxian, bell, and key travel through it
I recover low, while it does angle farther down then bowser, it shortens quickly and you can snap to ledge with a side-B recovery because of super armor.

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
I recover low, while it does angle farther down then bowser, it shortens quickly and you can snap to ledge with a side-B recovery because of super armor.

I think you are confused as to what I am asking.. I know how to get to the ledge.. I know to use side b first and save your jump etc.. I am talking about actually getting ON the stage safely without being punished.

Pacman9 - Thanks! Yeah Charizard fire spam is annoying. I try to hop over it and I get punished... >_> Its becoming a real problem for me especially vs competent players who know how to pressure the ledge. It always becomes a race to get to the ledge quickly and get on the stage safely game.

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
I think you are confused as to what I am asking.. I know how to get to the ledge.. I know to use side b first and save your jump etc.. I am talking about actually getting ON the stage safely without being punished.

Pacman9 - Thanks! Yeah Charizard fire spam is annoying. I try to hop over it and I get punished... >_> Its becoming a real problem for me especially vs competent players who know how to pressure the ledge. It always becomes a race to get to the ledge quickly and get on the stage safely game.
I knew what you meant. You let go of ledge, jump up towards stage, and Up-B, You both go up and you should be able to land and escape safely. If you know they are going to attempt to grab you, you can do the same thing, but Hydrant, and punish the grab attempt.

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
No. You don't let go of he ledge that will get punished. You actually just get up. No attack. And then up b

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
No. You don't let go of he ledge that will get punished. You actually just get up. No attack. And then up b
What character is punishing that? It is noncommittal to let go of ledge, you have multiple options and your double jump if you lost it. When you get up from ledge without an action, you commit to set frames that can be reacted to. Wario's Neutral B would grab you getting up before you could Up-B. The person on the ledge with a shield out is trying to bait an attack on shield, and grab. No down smash OOS would be fast enough to beat a rising up-air. If they are grabbing you out of shield from ledge, Hydrant would punish them as well. If you could provide examples of how you are getting punished letting go of ledge, I could lab it a bit and see what other options are available.

Last edited:

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
I'm actually a Charizard main. It's simple: Roll. If you think he's going to stop FT as soon as you roll, watch out. Alternatively, you can stall off-stage and let it run out. If you throw fruit, it should distract him before he gets in position.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Consider jumping up from the ledge and doing an aerial. I like nair, myself. You might also try jumping out and throwing a strawberry, then going from there.

Top Bottom