• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reasons for WD'ing

Nuada

Smash Cadet
Sorry I'm new here, and I seem to suck at using the search feature :( My apologies for annoying questions.

I just wanted to know why WD'ing is an essential basic. I'd like to understand why I should use it so I can use it more effectively

Things I came up with...

It doesn't change direction like rolling does. Say if you want to maintain facing away from your opponent to use bair or something.

Attack sooner coming out of it

Faster short (faster long distance as well?) distance movement to followup on combos and take advantage of openings

Easy ledgehogging

Only drawback is no invincibility frames?

Nick Nasty

Smash Journeyman
If you look around the boards you should find something about it. Anyway, the reasons ppl WD IMO are because: it greatly increases the speed of some characters like Luigi, ICs and Mewtwo, you can do anything after one, WDing out of your sheild is awsome if done right and finally you can bait opponents into attacking you w/it. WDing is one of those advance techniques that can help you develop your mindgames too. Also, I forgot to metion that you can WL (waveland) and manipulate the distance which is great if used properly.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Play anyone with a good wd and a crap dodge, shield, or roll (Like GW) and you'd understand how wd will help your game. Or someone like Luigi, Mewtwo, or IC who can practically cross the screen with their wd...

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
yeah. it's pretty annoying when people don't understand the reasons why people wavedash and they whine about how ineffective it is and how they don't need to use it themselves.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
If you WD, you can fake/screw around with your opponent. Basically, WD towards them and they'll do an attack but then quickly wavedash back and then towards again and hit them/grab them. WDing is also handy for edgehogging (wavedash backwards onto the edge or you can short hop onto it).

WDing is not essential for high level play IMO. I barely WD and I'm pretty good at this game.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
first off, luigis is really fun. as for practical uses, i only use it as a fake-out. dash towards them then wavedash away at the last second, that kinda thing. Eventually u wanta replace most of ur rolls with it, but i can't advise u there cuz im not there yet. Uh......... yeah. sure. whatever.

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman
WDing is one of those things that you have to practice for a long time before you can really implement it in your game. It is also failry character specific in terms of how you use it. I use Ganon, so for me, WD is a great way to put a small amount of space btwn my opponent and myself for forward+a or to help with CG. I personally use Wavelanding more than dashing (with ganon). Watch vids to see how it is appropriately used with different characters. It is one of those tactics that when you first try and implement it in ur game, it might actually make you a little worse. If you stick with it, after a while when you stop air freezing (on accident) and can WD everytime, and actually think to use it during appropriate times in a match, it will vastly improve your game (depending upon character too of course).

goateeguy

Smash Ace
yeah, come to think of it i use wavelanding a lot more too. like when ur coming off a missed aerial and ur opponant is attacking (not preparing to, literally moving his sword/elbow/knee/other blunt object towrds u and u have all of 5 frames to get ur butt out of the way) the only way to avoid having ur face disfigured is wavelanding. One problem i seem to have with WDing is that it's often kinda small since i play chars like c. falcon, and it doesn't put as much space between me and them as id like. if u wavedash will u automatically go through someone or will u run into them and get pushed back by them?

spoonyd

Smash Apprentice
If you play someone like Fox then it's pretty mandatory cause of his combo possibility. I main Marth right now and second Fox to combat sheiks and it's still PREEEETTY good for Marth. My buddy plays a lotta Luigi and is using tornados in some sneeky spots. WD backwards allows me to counter this and take advantage of the lag frames at the end of the move. Throwing forward with Marth, WD, fsmash has worked out in some spots also.

You just hafta try it out and see where it fits into your style. Yeah you're gonna forget about it and mess it up a lot when you first start. However once you get it down it's another tool for your toolbox. More tools = more options = more effective

WFL

Smash Journeyman
Well I play two characters that need the Wavedash/Waveland (IC's and Doc) For some characters like Doc you need it a lot for spacing and mindgames with projectiles (pills). And for the IC's you have to WD to move across the screen.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Wavedashing is not essential, but it is very very useful, and there is really no reason you shouldn't use it.

For almost every character, wavedashing is faster than rolling.
For almost every character, wavedashing is faster than dashing.

Why would you not want be faster?

You can not attack directly out of a roll. You must wait a good number of frames.
You can do only one attack out of a dash (unless you've mastered pivoting)
You can do any attack directly out of a wavedash.

It's quick and versatile, thats why its usefull.

As you've been told, just practice it, and you'll find situations in which a wavedash works.

Top Bottom