• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rearranging the Smash Ultimate Character Select Screen

Soy_Man

Smash Apprentice

So the goal with this was to make something similar to Brawl's character select screen, where all the characters are organized into rows and columns.

What's so special about Brawl's character select? Well, it's organized so that each column revolves around a Nintendo IP, or has a theme.

For example the third column is the "Zelda" column, and the column next to it is themed around the NES era.

And in each column the characters are generally ordered by how important they are to the series, having the main character first, followed by secondary characters or sidekicks, and then the villain. When a series doesn't have enough characters to fill the column, then they are followed by characters from the more niche Nintendo IPs, that have a similar vibe (e.g. Pikmin with Kirby, and F-Zero with Star Fox).

Organizing the character select like this is pretty simple when there's just 35 characters, but now the roster looks like this:

So, after some time and making several revisions, this is what I ended up with:

Column 1 is the Mario series
Column 2 is general Nintendo franchises
Column 3 is fantasy stuff
Column 4 is "We are going to beat you to death"
Column 5 is old ass ****
Columns 6 and 7 aren't very cohesive, it's just the stuff that was left over
Columns 8 and 9 don't need explaining

Row "a" is for the original eight characters (and Marth is there too).
The original eight being the first to come to smash. This is why Yoshi isn't in the Mario Column.
Row "b" is primarily secondary characters.
Row "c" is primarily villains.
Hopefully you get the idea.

I made Random take up four character slots so that there's no blank space.

It's not as organized as Brawl's I think it's pretty clean. I especially like how all the third party characters and the Miis come together to make a perfect square at the bottom.

And yes, the character select is a square rather than a rectangle, like in every other smash game. If it was a rectangle, I'd have to split Pokemon, and Fire Emblem into separate columns, which I didn't want to do. This meant putting the characters in the middle, and the player slots on the sides. This is similar to how many conventional fighting games arrange their select screen, and I personally think it looks cooler.

I spent several hours on this.

Veca Gorebyss

Smash Journeyman

So the goal with this was to make something similar to Brawl's character select screen, where all the characters are organized into rows and columns.

What's so special about Brawl's character select? Well, it's organized so that each column revolves around a Nintendo IP, or has a theme.

For example the third column is the "Zelda" column, and the column next to it is themed around the NES era.

And in each column the characters are generally ordered by how important they are to the series, having the main character first, followed by secondary characters or sidekicks, and then the villain. When a series doesn't have enough characters to fill the column, then they are followed by characters from the more niche Nintendo IPs, that have a similar vibe (e.g. Pikmin with Kirby, and F-Zero with Star Fox).

Organizing the character select like this is pretty simple when there's just 35 characters, but now the roster looks like this:

So, after some time and making several revisions, this is what I ended up with:

Column 1 is the Mario series
Column 2 is general Nintendo franchises
Column 3 is fantasy stuff
Column 4 is "We are going to beat you to death"
Column 5 is old ass ****
Columns 6 and 7 aren't very cohesive, it's just the stuff that was left over
Columns 8 and 9 don't need explaining

Row "a" is for the original eight characters (and Marth is there too).
The original eight being the first to come to smash. This is why Yoshi isn't in the Mario Column.
Row "b" is primarily secondary characters.
Row "c" is primarily villains.
Hopefully you get the idea.

I made Random take up four character slots so that there's no blank space.

It's not as organized as Brawl's I think it's pretty clean. I especially like how all the third party characters and the Miis come together to make a perfect square at the bottom.

And yes, the character select is a square rather than a rectangle, like in every other smash game. If it was a rectangle, I'd have to split Pokemon, and Fire Emblem into separate columns, which I didn't want to do. This meant putting the characters in the middle, and the player slots on the sides. This is similar to how many conventional fighting games arrange their select screen, and I personally think it looks cooler.

I spent several hours on this.

♦

that isnt real?

the last picture?

wow.

looks nice.

to me tho. logically. if consistency is what is wanted. best ought to seperate the characters like literally rows according to their worlds.

but beyond that. in case it looks boring.

something "gamey" artsy looking would be if the character orbs were like the "ragna" character select screen. but like the characters's bubble heads catagorized in artsy fashion. sectored off. in other words. but with the symbol of their world near them. and then next to that part of the "character select" page could be the other half.

maybe it would look too big tho.

also. idea. "next" button switches between the character select pages.

keep in mind. i think the whole purpose for why "lackluster" looking character select screens is to speed up time on the stages or characters.

♦

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
I really like the way that Soy_Man Soy_Man modified the character select screen.

For fun, I’ll make my modified Character Select Screen based on Ultimate’s format (13x6) with leftovers on the bottom.

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultdoc::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultzss::ultridley::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:
:ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultpichu::ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultness::ultlucas:
:ultmarth::ultlucina::ultike::ultrobin::ultroy::ultchrom::ultcorrin::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpalutena::ultfalcon::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw:
:ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultolimar::ultshulk::ultinkling::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman:
:ultryu::ultken::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultpiranha::ultjoker::ulthero2::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultbyleth::ultminmin
:ultsteve::ultsephiroth::ultmythra::ultkazuya::ultsora::ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter:

Unlike the roster above, this focuses only on rows similar to how Melee and For did it. Also, third parties and franchises with 5+ fighters could be reorganized differently. I did Mario based on how it was done in For, and I put Dr. Mario at the end as he was a last minute clone twice but not labeled as an echo. For LoZ, I put the child Links last as Toon Link was listed last in Brawl. For Pokemon, I put the low prioritiy/cut characters after those who were not cut or low priority. For FE, I put Roy later as he rejoined For as DLC. Third parties are just organized by join time barring echoes.

Last edited:

Veca Gorebyss

Smash Journeyman
It's just a low-effort edit of the character select screen for Squad Strike mode in Ultimate. I didn't make it from the ground up, I'm not a digital artist.

And yeah a more stylized UI for smash would be neat.

♦

oh. okay. i see. haha. about first paragraph.

and yes it would.

kthanksbye.

♦

Top Bottom