• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Really bad driver updating problems

Kruton

Smash Ace
I have an ATI Radeon Xpress 200M (well, at least thats what it tells me when I run dxdiog). I uninstalled the previous driver like it told me too and now my computer is acting weird. The resolution is screwed. I tried updating my drivers and it said that the Xpress 200M wasn't the video card I have. This is giving me arduous problems.

Any suggestions?

PohTayToez

Smash Cadet
Download, install, and run this program:
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

When it is dun running it will open a web browser page that will detail your computer's hardware among other information. Look under 'Display' (seventh heading down on the right side) to see what display adapter (graphics card) you have. Then download the correct driver from here:
http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

Let me know if you have any trouble. Hope this helps.

PohTayToez

Smash Cadet
That's unusual. The video adapter is what came with the computer, correct? What is the make and model of the computer?

Kruton

Smash Ace
Yeah this came with my computer.

It's a Toshiba Satellite L35-S1054.

Kruton

Smash Ace

That's for Windows Vista, I have XP MC 2005. I have my drivers fixed at least, I can run Windows smoothly. Now, when I try to update my ATI Radeon Xpress 200m Series from AMD's website, I get a message saying I have the wrong hardware or operating systems, when I don't in either case. Now I don't know what to do.

I guess in the meantime I will keep playing TF2 with occasional shutdowns.:ohwell:

Kruton

Smash Ace
I installed the driver from that Toshiba link, and it downloaded successfully. I still have a problem though, when I look at my display details, it still says I have the older version of the driver (6.2).

Ugh...this is discouraging.

Kruton

Smash Ace
Okay, here's what I did:

Add/Remove Programs --> Clicked Change/Remove on 'ATI Software Uninstall Utility' --> Restarted computer --> Ran the update from Toshiba's website --> Restarted --> SAME DRIVERS >.<

Should I also uninstall ATI Control Panel and ATI Display Driver?

EDIT: Okay, so, I uninstalled EVERYTHING with the name ATI attached to it. I installed the driver from Toshiba's website, and I STILL have driver version 6.14.0010.6587.

PohTayToez

Smash Cadet
Well, I think the problem is on Toshiba's end and not yours. The problem with onboard video such as what you have is that the same model can differ from computer to computer, as you can see when you try to use the drives from ATI's site. Toshiba has not kept their drivers up to date for your particular model. Have you been having problems with your graphics? If not, I would just be satisfied with the old drivers.

Kruton

Smash Ace
The graphics run fine, it's just that every now and then when I play a game, my computer just shuts down.

Oh well, at least the graphics work.

Top Bottom