• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reading vs Reacting. When and why?

waygu

Smash Lord
this is a great question to be asking yourself, it shows a high level of critical thinking, higher than mine unless i'm losing and i just want it to stop :p

this REALLY boils down to what level of skill you and your opponent are playing at. if you're playing your buddy who only plays when you and your other friend are there and is a c-stick fiend, react. if you're playing someone who knows as many advanced techs as you or more, is doing them more consistently than you and in ways you don't/haven't done, read.
these are the two opposite ends of the spectrum, in a vaccuum without mindgames as a factor but i hope it makes you think some.

you'd also enjoy reading/listening to stuff on smash from sleepyk, kirbykaze, wobbles and melee it on me's articles, they touch on concepts similar to this a lot

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
React = Can cover multiple options. Get confirmed damage off of reaction.

Read = Guess based on past experiences. Typically leads into a kill or a combo.

Think Falcon tech chases on Spacies.
- He can go for a read on any of (let's say Fox) Fox's tech options and punish with stomp to get a combo off that leads into death. - On the other hand he can wait for Fox to pick an option such as tech roll away then chase -> grab. This repeats the tech chase.

Basically you have to choose based on the situation whether the risk-reward ratio is good or not. You'll learn more about it as you play.

Top Bottom