• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reading DI

Kiusthugs

Smash Apprentice
So the only trouble I'm having with somewhat floaty characters is that when I down throw, they will usually DI away sending them off at a far distance. I see it and I try to follow it up with an aerial, but this is the part where I screw up. I find it hard to connect something because I either miss it being that they're too far or I'm too slow and they are able to jump or act out of the stun. Can anyone enlighten me on how to play it out

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
If they are DI'ing down and away it's unpunishable in certain situations. Straight away is punishable normally, depends on matchup and percent.

Kiusthugs

Smash Apprentice
If they are DI'ing down and away it's unpunishable in certain situations. Straight away is punishable normally, depends on matchup and percent.
Should I just Up throw instead. I was watching hax and noticed he up throws in neutral. I Was specifically practicing on Marth

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
For Marth uthrow isn't bad at low/med%, dthrow at zero leads to regrabs and techchases. Dthrow leads to more overall, but at some percents when they DI down and away getting the follow-up can be demanding, as the dash and jump need to be close to frame perfect, then time the aerial and possibly fastfall just to make it hit (late uairs and weak knees).

I don't know percents but maybe someone else will chime in. Watch how s2j, gravy, gahtzu, and wizzy do it lol

Heavy Gomez

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavyGomer
Should I just Up throw instead. I was watching hax and noticed he up throws in neutral. I Was specifically practicing on Marth
afaik doing up throw on marth before 40 percent is bad, marth can hit you before you get any followup on him. I remember m2k saying that in a match analysis.

Last edited:

SoapSuds

Smash Apprentice

Kiusthugs

Smash Apprentice
Marth: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AFPrWbXHp7aSQfwGdxOGFUb4VlifUYRLEPhDJR3wuhU/edit#gid=0
Sheik: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1N_ocZHtUSJ5lQrEfA2tWVTguVtA-PLdoMGZaJnJ5SBk/edit#gid=0

I just tested follow ups starting at ten's of %s (before the throw unstaled).

Reading these and toying around with the options should give you a pretty good idea of what to do against most floaties, though I should still do puff or luigi since I'm not sure what works vs them.
Nice! Let us know when you got the rest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom