• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

RCA To HDMI Adapters

PierceWantsToSmash

Smash Cadet
NNID
PierceSutton
Hello, i'm planning on buy an RCA to HDMI converter for my Wii. I'm not entirely sure if the HDMI enhances the image a whole lot but I've seen many complaints of a damaged Wii / Gamecube after using one. Do any of you guys have any experience of using one of these? Should I use one that attaches directly to the Wii or one that connects to RCA?
Anyways, thanks for your help ahead of time.

Windhunter7

Smash Apprentice
So with the cables, as long as you keep the original one your Wii uses in case the cable you buy doesn't work as intended, you're fine. This is because consoles(e.g. a Wii) send an output signal in the slot where you insert the RCA connectors; the RCA connectors read the information as input, and to the TV is the output; information NEVER gets sent in the unintended direction; at least, not with output/input-specific cables; there are some cables that have either input or ouput apply to the same end; an example is an HDMI cable that has both ends be the EXACT same connector; unless it's a rare exception, usually all cables that have different connector types at each end are specific to either input or output, and then the cables that have the same connector at each end(e.g. the mentioned HDMI cable) have either input or output capability; however, as long as you're buying it from a reputable source, the only thing even getting the input/output works is that it literally will not do anything, and it'll attempt to load the picture from the TV onto your Wii, which is impossible, and there isn't even a way to do that, so it would literally just not do anything at all. Just sit there.

I hope this explanation helps! ;)

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
The best option is having an official component cable (YPbPr), so that you can play in progressive mode (480p) instead of interlaced (480i). If you use this into an OSSC v1.6, which is an amazing device, you can have zero lag in any Wii game while using an LCD screen. However, remember that you have to configure both your screen and the OSSC in the correct mode.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
160GBP!

and wouldnt you still get lag depending on the monitor? doesnt seem worth it over a $20usd dongle...
With a $20 dongle, you have lag. 100% guaranteed. And depending on the quality of this dongle (which is generally awful), lag would be just one of the several problems you can face.

With a CRT, you have interlaced 4:3 mode. Unless you have quite an expensive CRT that supports 16:9 and progressive scan, in which cases (IIRC) zero lag is not 100% guaranteed.

With an OSSC, you have a high-quality upconverter that can receive 480p inputs and send 1080p outputs to TV. This means progressive scan, 16:9 and zero lag in any screen that supports either 1080p or 4K.

If you want more info on this, I can give a more in-depth explanation.

Anyway, OSSC is not that expensive for what it can offer. If you want it only for Melee/Project M, okay, it is not worth it. If you want it for all hooking all your old consoles, which look amazingly bad on modern LCDs, it is quite a relevant piece of hardware.

Narpas_sword

i rekon 100% guaranteed youll have lag with the ossc too and the majority of that would be from the monittor not the conversion. but sure, show me numbers with the ossc and the dongle with the same monitor and ill be more inclined to spend $300 on one

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
i rekon 100% guaranteed youll have lag with the ossc too and the majority of that would be from the monittor not the conversion. but sure, show me numbers with the ossc and the dongle with the same monitor and ill be more inclined to spend $300 on one
I'm detecting a condescending tone... I hope this is not the case, since you are a moderator. Anyway, keep in mind that my intention is only helping, that I am deep into the retro gaming scene and that I have a degree in this field since several years ago.

Anyway, if you know how this works, it is easy to understand.

Any device that converts YPbPr (analogue) into HDMI (digital) will need a complex system in order to do this. Conventional adapters usually add 2-4 frames. It depends a lot on the components, the logic of the PCB it uses, etc. But in general, keep in mind you are adding 2-4 frames of input lag unless you are using a high-quality converter.

Also, there is a problem with resolution. These common adapters do not upscale the signal, neither do they upconvert it. Instead, they rely on your screen. Many LCDs handle 480p, but they have a fix set of 1080p. Since these resolution standards are not compatible (i.e., the latter is not a multiple of the former), any upscaling will have delay. Depending on your screen, this can be quite low, even zero, but in many cases it can be quite high, even if you use the "Game Mode", since it has to be upscaled. Of course, we are assuming the screen does not add any lag to the one caused by the transformation and the upscaling.

In the specific case of Wii2HDMI, it works on a frame-buffer basis, so it does add input lag. Probably just 1-2 frames, or probably more. However, it does not upscale/upconvert, so it will need image processing by your screen in any circumstance, which can add a couple of frames depending on what screen you have. Some add a lot, many doesn't even have lag for a 480p signal.

Anyway, playing casually with 4-7 frames can be a bit uncomfortable... But playing competitively a game like Project M is painful. Same with many fighting games, shmups, competitive FPS, and some other super competitive genres in video gaming.

However, the OSSC is not a simple dongle. It has quite an advanced PCB that converts analogue to digital incredibly fast, in way less than 1/60 of a second. And also, it ensures that the original signal is multiplied by natural numbers, no decimals. This avoids upscaling, since this is upconversion. Thus, the OSSC outputs a 1080p signal in which there is a 480p image multiplied by 2. This way, it has no input lag, and if you use the aboved mentioned "Game Mode", assuming you have a decent screen, the lag would be zero frames.

Since the transformation from analogue to digital is not based on a frame buffer, and there is upconversion instead of upscaling, you won't have any lag. Unless you have such a crappy screen that even in "Game Mode" gives you lag, which is not that common.

Nevertheless, this is only in regards to frame delay (input lag). If you talk about colors, pixel sharpness, blur, etc., using an OSSC is again a perfect solution, since there is no deformation. However, using a cheap converter from analogue to digital can mess the image, as well as the terrible upscaling algorithm most screens have.

If a dongle like that, the one you can buy for $20 in Amazon, were an acceptable option for these consoles as well as for any arcade board hooked to a Super Gun, nobody would be developing, selling and buying lots of devices such as the OSSC. If you ask me, I plan to hook up to an OSSC several consoles, namely Atari 2600, Top-Loader Famicom, PC Engine, MegaDrive, SNES, NeoGeo, Saturn, PSX, GameGear, N64, Dreamcast, PS2 and Xbox. So trust me, I have done my homework and a looooot of research about the best options for image and gameplay.

Furthermore, many people are competing right now for providing the best solution in terms of image for the GameCube. Here you have BadAss Consoles, which is one of the most relevant retro shops for such thing. Then you have one of the most ambitious mods for the Wii, that has been in the making for years in the Shmups Forums.

As I said, if $20 could give you a perfect image, with no distortion, no lag, no ghosting, etc., nobody would be doing these things, neither Smashers would have been playing in CRTs for the last decade. Nobody.

Nonetheless, hundreds of people spend hundreds of dollars/euros in upgrading their consoles, in buying good-quality cables and upscalers/upconverters as well as high-quality SCART switches, such as the Gscartsw. This is due to a scientifical fact: cheap converters add lag, blur, distortion and asimetry, among other issues. High-quality equipment is more expensive, but has not got these issues.

Last but not least, £135 are $183, not $300. Even if you had to pay duties, it wouldn't go that high. But anyway, if I recall correctly, the creator of the OSSC is considering mass production, which would reduce costs significantly. I am wating for that moment, for instance. The moment it has a mass production, costs will be reduced, so I could buy one of these for some €120.

Narpas_sword

https://www.google.com/search?q=160+gbp+to+nzd&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab
=p

certainly not saying that the image from a cheap dongle is on par with higher tech equipment - just that the noticeable lag difference in setups between a wii > w2hdmi > high end monitor vs wii > OSSC > high end monitor would be superficial.

again very interested in hard numbers. - i did note you said the wii2hdmi _probably_ adds 1-2 frames of lag. no measurements.

your explanation of the technology shows a deep understanding, and is awesome. but hard numbers for input lag are my interest.

"if $20 could give you a perfect image, with no distortion, no lag, no ghosting, etc.,, nobody would be doing these things, neither Smashers would have been playing in CRTs for the last decade. Nobody."

This is the trend id love to see broken. Either way - with hard numbers proving that the dongles are definitely NOT worth it, or if they are a solid result is much better than the here-say that continues to develop around these topics.

Last edited:

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
https://www.google.com/search?q=160+gbp+to+nzd&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab
=p

certainly not saying that the image from a cheap dongle is on par with higher tech equipment - just that the noticeable lag difference in setups between a wii > w2hdmi > high end monitor vs wii > OSSC > high end monitor would be superficial.

again very interested in hard numbers. - i did note you said the wii2hdmi _probably_ adds 1-2 frames of lag. no measurements.

your explanation of the technology shows a deep understanding, and is awesome. but hard numbers for input lag are my interest.

"if $20 could give you a perfect image, with no distortion, no lag, no ghosting, etc.,, nobody would be doing these things, neither Smashers would have been playing in CRTs for the last decade. Nobody."

This is the trend id love to see broken. Either way - with hard numbers proving that the dongles are definitely NOT worth it, or if they are a solid result is much better than the here-say that continues to develop around these topics.
Well, I don't have both systems, so I cannot do a proper comparison.

Anyway, Wii2HDMI works on a buffer basis. That means that it has to wait until the calculations are done in order to send the frame to your TV. Since it has to wait until it is done, a couple of frames of delay would be added. The OSSC does not work on that basis, its calculations are extremely fast. Its delay is zero. Well, actually it is something like 0.000001 ms, but that won't be noticeable since in a 60 Hz environment, one frame is 16.6 ms.

This is why, in my opinion, smashers that like either Melee or Project M should think about the OSSC or other zero-lag solutions. Playing the original games in progressive scan and 16:9 aspect ratio on an LCD screen is pretty good indeed.

By the way, I'm sorry, I hadn't read you were from Wellington. I just saw the $ symbol and assumed you were from the United States. I am pretty sure that there are quite good retro researchers in Australia. For instance, the RGB bypass boards for several consoles (mainly Atari 2600, NES and N64) as well as the new PSIO (a flashcart for the original PlayStation) are being manufactured by Aussies. So I guess that, if you look carefully, you could get some pretty nice offers in your country (or in the neighbouring one).

Anyway, the spirit of the OSSC is that it is open-source. Thus, it is only a matter of time that different people create discrete iterations of this device for different needs. That could mean some shops would sell cheaper versions of the OSSC, with less features.

Last edited:
Top Bottom